New Crime Commissioner To Start Role

Monday November 3 2014

Alan Billings Alan Billings

SOUTH Yorkshire's new police and crime commissioner will start his role today.

Labour's Dr Alan Billings won the election on Friday, taking just over 50 per cent of votes.

Over one million people were eligible to cast their vote, but only 14 per cent turned out.

Ex-commissioner Shaun Wright, who managed children's services in Rotherham between 2005 and 2010, eventually stepped down from his post on September 16.

His resignation came after a report on child abuse said at least 1,400 children were sexually exploited in the town from 1997 to 2013.

Steve Pick, who has been the acting commissioner since Wright's resignation, said: "I wish Alan all the very best in carrying out a difficult job in very challenging times.

"My priority is now on ensuring that we provide the most thorough briefing possible for the new commissioner."

Reply Posted by same as the rest on Monday November 3 2014 at 12:04
i wonder if this guys middle name is corrupt. just like the last one

Reply Posted by king louis on Monday November 3 2014 at 13:14
1st question what does he cost?
2nd question what does he do?
3rd question will he make any difference having him?

Reply Posted by len on Monday November 3 2014 at 13:33
he earn a very good salary and 1/2 of his salary he is donating to charity, a few extra brown tongue points.

Reply Posted by jan on Monday November 3 2014 at 19:07
I believe its about £75,000 per year.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Monday November 3 2014 at 14:14
Look at what charity it is king Louis I think he is making a difference

Reply Posted by jan on Monday November 3 2014 at 19:10
What difference has he made, he only started the job today.

Reply Posted by Sally Smith on Monday November 3 2014 at 20:12
Oh, here we go again. I saw the figures on the voting, and more than 50% DID NOT want another Labour Coverer-upper. Just wait and see how many more cases he sweeps under the carpet and how many enablers he makes excuses for. The only thing to do when the level of disease is that bad is a complete clean out, everybody fired, and start again - with another party. But with only a 14% turnout, you can bet the paedophiles were out in force, making sure their supporters were back in place ready for the next time.

Reply Posted by David Wood on Monday November 3 2014 at 20:20
Makes me laugh! Barnsley council along with other councils can spend the time naming and shaming people that drop litter, yet they cannot weed out and name and "Lock Up" those that have allowed child exploitation go on under there "Watch" it's a joke. It's time these old boys clubs and clique's within our town halls are swept out and start a fresh. It's disgusting! And before anyone says that I should be directing my Vitriol at South Yorkshire Police. I'd like to say that I pay my rates to BMBC and I need to be able to rely on those within BMBC to protect my interests and property with in the borough, after all they are supposed to be our servants that are paid generously from the budget, and I for one want my monies worth.

Reply Posted by Another Jan on Monday November 3 2014 at 20:21
Hope all of the above commenters voted in the election (were you part of the 14% who bothered?) - if not please restrain from spreading your petty views!

Reply Posted by rainbow on Tuesday November 4 2014 at 05:31
Not voting is also a democratic choice, why should people vote for something they don't agree with.???