Information Event To Discuss Birdwell Roundabout Plans

Friday October 31 2014

RESIDENTS have been invited to an information event about proposed works to tackle a Barnsley roundabout's troublesome traffic issues.

The A61 Birdwell roundabout at junction 36 of the M1, which is the country's second busiest road according to the Department of Transport, has long caused headaches for motorists.

Proposed improvements include creating two new roundabouts with a road to access the Dearne Valley's employment sites, together with the realignment of the A6135.Also proposed is a dedicated lane from the motorway slip road onto the A61 and into Barnsley.

The information event, held by Barnsley Council’s highways officers, will take place on November 4 at Birdwell Methodist Church, on Sheffield Road, between 3pm and 7pm.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for place, said: "This event is a chance for people to look at proposed plans which will help to improve the severe traffic congestion associated with the A61.

"The Highways Agency is also seeking to alleviate traffic issues on junction 36 of the M1 and the council is committed to working in partnership with them on this."

The scheme is still subject to planning approval and funding.

Reply Posted by Gino on Friday October 31 2014 at 11:53
So, public consultations do exist! We'll, for road changes...good job it's not a gypsy site that's planned. Nothing would have been announced.

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday October 31 2014 at 12:44
An 'information event' is not a consultation. The plans are already drawn. Will go to planning as the stairfoot gypsy site did.

Reply Posted by Gino on Friday October 31 2014 at 12:59
Oooohhhh sorry! I forgot about the 'information event' that was held at Stairfoot! And the consultation. My bad...

Enjoy the road.

Reply Posted by ray on Friday October 31 2014 at 14:19
Another balls up in the making. Luckily it mentions funding so council will be crying poverty aga in soon no doubt blaming the pits closing down

Reply Posted by Gino on Friday October 31 2014 at 14:21
More constructive comments I see, Mr C. Very clever.

Reply Posted by The Real Mr C on Friday October 31 2014 at 16:25
Its my copycat Gino but I agree with you love I am very clever arnt I I'm so clever people are starting to try to be me but they will never have my charisma

Reply Posted by Mr C on Friday October 31 2014 at 18:44
Dam Gino I was hoping for your response what's up have your pile's dropped out your @ss

Reply Posted by Simon on Monday November 3 2014 at 23:11
So let me get this right the Council is going to replace a congestion causing roundabout, with two congestion causing roundabouts. Genius!

Reply Posted by Gino on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 13:56
Simon you are talking like you can see the future its to cut congestion get it right the people who have designs this are more clever than you

Reply Posted by Dixie on Wednesday November 5 2014 at 14:06
so after how much having already been spent on "improvements" here already???? Wouldn't it have been nice for the council to "get it right first time" instead!
The queues through birdwell at 7-8am every morning are ridiculous, how residents must love this!
I suspect as with everything the council do, they will invite comment and suggestions but then just railroad through their plans anyway:
Carlton community college on greenbelt land
Gypsy camp proposals
Housing on greenbelt land

This council will not be happy till they have run barnsley into to the ground, it's about time someone with an ounce of sense took over!