Former Barnsley School Damaged By Fire

Tuesday October 28 2014

Photo by Mandy Forster Photo by Mandy Forster

A FORMER Barnsley school was badly damaged by a blaze on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the Grove Street Primary, on Grasmere Road, at 3.55pm.

They contained the fire to the first floor of the building and spent two hours extinguishing the flames.

An investigation has been launched into how the fire started.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 12:46
I would have loved this to happen at the school I went to

Reply Posted by Mum of three on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 13:31
What a shame.
Oakwell was once a lovely place.
It's getting more run down by the day.
The pride is disappearing from a once proud lovely place.
Barnsley council- step up to the plate and do something about it before it is run totally into the ground.

Reply Posted by former oakwell resident on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 13:55
Totally agree with previous comment.. i was born an brought up in oakwell . Me my mum n dad aunties and uncles and children all went to grove street and i have precious memories of my time there.. it is sooo sad to see this grand old building turn to rack n ruin.

Reply Posted by ... on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 14:39
don't know why people have to set fire to things and put people at risk. Want to get a better life !!!

Reply Posted by bob on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 18:45
I live on grove street, its been up for sale for years, just knock it down and put a park there or something, untill someone buys it

Reply Posted by Ase on Tuesday October 28 2014 at 19:45
It's a listed building it can't just be pulled down.. Which makes it hard for it to be made into anything really.. Oakwell is a great place but needs things keeping on top .. The school needs maintaining and a police presence wouldn't go a miss?

Reply Posted by Oakwell resident on Wednesday October 29 2014 at 06:43
There is money in the pot for Oakwell.
I can remember going to meetings to discuss the best way to spend the money in the area years ago.
This was given to Oakwell by the developers for the council allowing them to buid on land around Oakwell.
The money was supposed to be used for creating community areas and regenerating the area.
So---- where is the money?
Any councillors reading this - please feel free to answer.

Reply Posted by dd on Wednesday October 29 2014 at 16:56
listed building or not.B.M.B.C do what they want, when they want anyway. different story if it was 1 of their properties.

Reply Posted by sarah on Thursday October 30 2014 at 19:04
I did my work experience in year 10 at grove street school for 2 weeks it was a lovely place well behaved kids, well liked teachers I don't understand why they closed it in the first place, maybe someone from one of these free schools could reopen it or oakwell take it on educate the board!

Reply Posted by Charlie on Friday October 31 2014 at 22:11
something needs doing to that school you always see people trying to break in that's why cars can no longer park there If it was arson I hope they find out who did it before they do it again

Reply Posted by amanda on Saturday November 1 2014 at 10:56
They didn't close it sarah....they moved into a new purpose built school nearby.

Reply Posted by Angela Deakin on Saturday November 1 2014 at 11:04
Oakwell is a lovely community to live in with great neighbours, however the school is now an eye sore and desperately needs something doing with it.

Reply Posted by Emma on Sunday October 23 2016 at 13:13
I when to this school when I was 5 years old now I'm 22 its so sad that it got badey fire I hope no one was hart