Town Centre Litterbugs Fined

Wednesday October 22 2014

TOWN centre litter-droppers have been named and shamed by the council - and fined £225 each.

Rhys Atkinson, 25, of Mansfield Road, Athersley, dropped litter on Shambles Street.

Janine Ellis, 43, of Darton Street, Darton, was caught dropping litter at Barnsley Interchange.

David Hewitt, 37, of Tune Street, Barnsley, also was caught doing the same at the transport hub.

Aleksandrs Lukjanovs, 30, of Langdale Court, Barnsley, dropped litter on Eldon Street.

Laura Snitkus, 25, also of Langdale Court, littered Eldon Street as well.

Fixed penalty notices were originally issued in May by 3GS, the private company brought in by Barnsley Council to take action against people who choose to drop litter in the town centre.

Fixed penalty notices are offered instead of prosecution and by law people have 14 days in which to pay them - if they don’t pay in full then Barnsley Council’s policy is to prosecute them.

None of the defendants appeared at Barnsley Magistrates' Court on October 16 but all were found guilty in their absence.

Each now has to pay a fine, and all have to pay prosecution costs back to the council as well as a victim surcharge, totalling fines of £224.94 each.

Coun Roy Miller said: "There's no excuse for dropping litter. It makes the town centre look untidy and uncared for and gives a bad impression, deterring both visitors to the area and potential business investment.

"If you're inconsiderate enough to blight our borough in this way and get caught doing so, the advice is to pay up immediately to avoid incurring further costs."

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 10:10
duz pikeys get fined councillor miller ????.... fixed penalty for mister Hewitt.. dunt mek me laugh.. he his inside again..you have no chance on that one.

Reply Posted by Mary on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:22
To Me! when i read the david hewitt i choked on laughter n thought no chance myself lol, btw im his daughters Auntie if ya wondering who i am lol xx

Reply Posted by Mick on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 11:22
There needs to be a lot more fines issued. The council must spend a fortune on cleaning up litter and not one piece of it should be there. They should especially target smokers who all seem to think that cigarette butts can just be thrown down anywhere. Admittedly some fines will be hard to collect but a tough message needs to be sent out.

Reply Posted by Ray on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 14:05
I agree Mick there's some right scrubbers in barnsley.

I also agree that gypsys should be made to pay up too. It wouldn't be that hard to enforce. Log the registrations of all vehicles when they arrive, photograph the area and then work out the collective cost and send it out when they've gone.

If they then don't pay and come back, just get enforcment to go down and make em pay.

It won't happen but in principle it could

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 14:10
Country is in state that its in an council are paying for a private company to walk about in Gestapo uniforms extorting money out of people I think its a sad state anyone who gets stopped by these thugs just refuse to give your name and don't sign anything and then your not entering contract with them and they cant do a thing to you just walk away all they will do is threaten to phone police and we all know police have better things to be dealing with :)

Reply Posted by Jo on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 14:15
Can they also fine and name and shame the filthy pigs that think it's acceptable to spit on the pavements aswell?? Worse than litter droppers in my opinion, as it spreads disease. Pure filth!

Reply Posted by Roma gypsy on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 17:43
You make insult me .

Reply Posted by Victory on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 20:58
I know I tho there was suppose to be as surely that is classed antisocial behaviour? Also how can you police litterbugs, surely there should be a lot more, and how can they catch those that they did?

Reply Posted by Hayley on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 23:26
@Victory, these are only the people who have been seen by 3GS. Unless they see you they can't do anything.

Reply Posted by harry on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 14:21
what about the binmen, every time bins empied on my street always litter left behind and there never pick it up..

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:03
get a grip

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:05
I just don't agree with the excessive amount they have to pay its disgusting Bt I do agree with Harry about bin men leaving a trail of destruction every time they come

Reply Posted by Chloe on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:05
My mum and her colleague were out on lunch in town last week and my mums friend put her fag end out in bin as did my mum but because the fag end was blown out of the bin by the wind my mums friend still got an £80 fine is this fair I think not!!

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:08
Gestapo extortion racket Chloe that's all it is

Reply Posted by get a proper job!! on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:12
Them people in town fining u think there police the goin abit ott Wi the fines tryin t fine u COs ya kid drops abit ov sauage roll GRIP NEEDED

Reply Posted by MR M Mouse on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:19
what do you think bin men do when they empty your bins? grab a handfull and throw it on street? rubish gets blown out of the wagon and bins! dont you thinnk their job isnt hard enough alone without having to run after a crisp packet?

Reply Posted by mary on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:21

Reply Posted by Plantpot on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:24
you waint get money off Rhys the tight get all lend no spend that kid

Reply Posted by god on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:29
true ^^^^^

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 15:45

Even without the litter the town looks like a sh*t tip due to lack of investment and failed promises by the Council. This alone puts off visitors and investors. Once again Cllr Miller spouts utter crap!

Reply Posted by Observer on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:01
Never mind the patrols for the litter where's the patrols for the drug deals and the smoking and rolling of spiffs? Where's the patrol for the druggies who inject and swop drugs right in front of ppl? I've seen it why can't the police? It's upsetting.

Reply Posted by the mayor on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:08
Please leave councillor Miller alone,he has a difficult enough job as it is helping single mums on benefits to sort out their repairs

Reply Posted by Donna on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:10
i will never go in town again.
Last time I went I saw an unprovoked attack on a young boy punched in the face left unconcious in the middle of the road near kfc.
and the time before I was at the cash machine with my children and a group of drugged up/ drunk youths threw rubbish in my childs face outside yorkshire bank and again no one did a thing.

I think the towns had its day and needs security on every street corner.

Reply Posted by murk on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:48
Who was supposed to do what exactly when someone threw rubbish in your child's face?
Were you expecting an immediate SWAT response?
I'm sure it wasn't nice for your child but did you confront the people who did it, because you are the person that should have done something about this particular situation.

Reply Posted by ukip on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:38
Barnsley is the worst place in the world...scroungers, druggies, drunks thugs,eastern Europeans. I will never set foot in the dirty town again. its a shame because it wasn't that bad 10yrs ago..

Reply Posted by Lee on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:42
just laughing at bin man comment that their jobs are hard enough, all they do is wheel bin to back of wagon. And they won't do that sometimes if it's too full, I wish my job was that easy.

Reply Posted by Amused on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:50
Barnsley council is a joke! They try to enforce against people for littering yet I have on numerous occasions seen council workers flick cig ends on the floor etc... Barnsley town centre is deterorating on a massive scale. Personally I'd rather brave meadowhell or wakey than pop into town!

Reply Posted by Bungle on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:53
All you have to do is refuse to give your name and address and there is nothing they can do. When they ask just so "No comment" they have no powers of arrest or to detain you just walk away.

On the other hand just put your litter in a bin it's not hard there are plenty of bins around it's our town so keep it clean.

Reply Posted by donna on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:55
.....all im sayin is ....... they normaly blame the young!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Helen Bach on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:57
Go to MeadowHell..... problem solved! :)

Reply Posted by Ha on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 16:59
Rhys Atkinson what a surprise! Won't be getting no money off him! all talk no action he's a joke!!!!

Reply Posted by Lou on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 17:09
try sending some of them wi to hoyland & fine for all dog **** that's all over paths

Reply Posted by sickodogshite on Thursday October 23 2014 at 12:34
they will earn their wage in hoyland catching lazy dog owners

Reply Posted by GKN43 on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 17:12
It's a ridiculous amount to fine someone for dropping a bit of litter. The comments about the binmen are true too. They leave behind crap on our street too. As for it making Barnsley look unattractive - don't make me laugh! The state of the railings near Alhambra roundabout and the rusty bridges are an eyesore. Not exactly a welcoming sight entering the town centre from any direction. Try cleaning these up before you start picking on ordinary people for a bit of rubbish!!!

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 17:49
Why not get the 'litter police' to stand on the Halifax taxi rank on a Friday and Saturday night... They could make a killing catching the folk dropping Greggs wrappers!

Reply Posted by Lauren on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 18:23
I have seen this round town. Love the idea, this should have started along time ago. It's discusting the way people use the floor as a bin no matter how big or small their rubbish is! It shouldn't matter who litters were all the same and should be treated the same. Carry on the good work!

Reply Posted by Guido Fawkes on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 18:49
I think its a good thing

Reply Posted by its business on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 19:50
Wombwell town removed the bins before employing the Gestapo 4 to fine people

Reply Posted by Craig on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 20:16
Council cutbacks= new ways of making money. As for bin men don't make me laugh. If you put the rubbish in a bin and then it blows out I think the fine should be to themselves for not having wind proof bins or bins not being emptied enough or get real and understand wind will grab hold of something and blow it away. And for those of u slating smokers it's their choice to do so and it's not illegal is it? Ps. If no one threw rubbish on the floor how many cleaners /g4s staff would out of a job? Not saying it's right, just asking a question. May be they can use some of that £225 to fix the roads. Finally, why just town?

Reply Posted by to craig on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 21:18
craig, what aload of crap.. its like saying if we all had cars there be all bus drivers.taxi out of work, everybody ate at home, all restaurant out of business, shut up the binmen empty the bins and drop litter on the floor and leave the street a mess, not all down to wind, I have seen it happen,

Reply Posted by sort it out on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 21:55
The council dont pay anything to the new litter police and what they make in fines is the companies profit. What I think stinks is the council could have created jobs within the council and put the profits to other use to better the town. The state it is in at the min is alot down to real policing. It is rife with anti social behaviour and psco's or "litter police" cant do a thing. Lets hope when the re development is under way the police will put their hand in their pocket and make it a nicer place to shop for everyones sake. look at the latest big store to close Burtons and DP'S what next????????

Reply Posted by Jeff. on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 22:05
Mr C. Your comments are a load of crap.

Reply Posted by hussarman on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 22:30
there too scared to go round -town on Friday and Saturday night catching people throwing there takeaways on the ground mornings it looks like a refuse tip.

Reply Posted by Hayley on Wednesday October 22 2014 at 23:28
This takes the ******* ****, 14 days to find £75 or face over a £200. People, not just in Barnsley but across the UK are finding times hard as it is, £75 is all some people get to live on for 14 days without having to pay for a stupid fine.

Reply Posted by To Hayley on Thursday October 23 2014 at 00:15
its quite simple then, don't drop litter! They wouldn't have to worry about finding the money then. Just laziness.

Reply Posted by lawman on Thursday October 23 2014 at 01:09
Fines given out by private companies have no legal standing under British law.

Reply Posted by Alex on Thursday October 23 2014 at 11:13
You're all on about littering idiots, then there's me that's more bothered about the new stalls being built that's making more of a mess of town than the litter ever did.

Reply Posted by Observer on Thursday October 23 2014 at 11:28
I dont drop litter. I never have. But if i did and anyone came anywhere near me to issue me with a fine. I would be doing a "litter police drop" he or she would be ln the floor with blood coming out of their ears !!! What a dispicable fund raising tactic by bmbc. The answer to this is education. It needs instilling in school with litter moniters at school. Kids need to be made aware at school ( these are our next generation of taxpayers) that it doesnt take much to hang ln to litter then bin it. And made aware of the costs implications of council workers collecting disregarded litter.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Thursday October 23 2014 at 11:54
Jeff what are you a Gestapo supporting police state loving by-law bashing statute sniffing act approver that thinks the excessive fines are ok

Reply Posted by Tony on Thursday October 23 2014 at 12:05
Get tough on the litter droppers and issue more fines is what I say.

Reply Posted by Phil on Friday October 31 2014 at 09:58
couldn't agree more!

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Thursday October 23 2014 at 12:15
Brilliant idea but can you please catch the dog owners who let there pets mess all over the streets and kids play areas , and just walk away the dirty baaaastaaaarrrrrrrrddddddddddddsssssssssss

Reply Posted by Nelson on Thursday October 23 2014 at 12:50
Bramma is the dog poo Bobbie of Hoyland he will get them for you he will get them he will

Reply Posted by Suki on Thursday October 23 2014 at 13:49
God doesn't it show what sort of people live in Barnsley, all people are asking is not to drop your yes your own litter on the floor for a servant to pick it up for you, so people in Barnsley are sooo rich because they are not used to picking their own litter & rubbish & crap its beneath them so they must have servants to pick their rubbish up at home, Oooh I forgot you pay your council tax for your own personal servants & as for that woman confronting them drunks & druggies ermm I did that & got a needle in my arm for it ....... and as for the gestapo I lived in Germany for 2 years & guess what the streets are lovely & clean so it must work, also my partner is a teacher who tries to teach people like this, one parent told him it was his job to teach her child manners & respect, all there asking for you to put yes your rubbish in a bin or take it home, lets hope they never ask you to do anything hard or you don't understand. No wonder Barnsley is such a mess.

Reply Posted by jimbo on Thursday October 23 2014 at 19:09
Well said Suki , I too have lived in germany and I echo your sentiments. Whilst they are at it they should also be nabbed, named and shamed for spitting as well. Dirty pigs.

Reply Posted by David Cameron on Thursday October 23 2014 at 14:21
Muhahaha just pay up ya bums, the more litter you suckers drop the less money I have to give out to those scrimping and scrapping moaners at BMBC, and I need all the money I can get to win next years election and give you lot another 5yrs of PAIN!!!!

Reply Posted by Mr C on Thursday October 23 2014 at 14:22
Suki the Gestapo are no longer in Germany what I'm saying is its ridicules the amount of money that the fine is they are imposing on peoples for doing a very petty crime

Reply Posted by jimbo on Thursday October 23 2014 at 19:04
Wow, about time, it's not petty and it's not nice. They wouldn't throw rubbish in their own homes, or would they? Well done barnsley Council for a change.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Thursday October 23 2014 at 19:14
Wow Jimbo your a pillow of the community have you ever considered becoming a PCSO I think you would make a wonderful one or even a traffic warden would suit such a riotous man

Reply Posted by c l on Thursday October 23 2014 at 20:00
tell u wat lets tek jobs away from council for litter pickers..... thats wat their there for...

av they not asked the person to pick it up instead of a fine?????

Reply Posted by dave on Friday October 24 2014 at 08:20
All litterbugs should be fined and made to spend a day litter picking and as for all you keyboard warriors stop slagging barnsley off. If you are not happy get out there and do some voluntary work or put some time into youth development in any field it's obvious you live in a bubble as the problems you all go on about is nationwide.

Reply Posted by Litter bin on Friday October 24 2014 at 20:05
If you don't want the fine then it's pick up your..... Time. Stop moaning you litter bug slags.

Reply Posted by ali on Friday October 24 2014 at 20:09
If my kids were still young I would definitely avoid Barnsley. I have to work in town and not a day goes by where I don't have to hear swearing, shouting, witness kids that look to be under the influence. Even the job centre has security that looks more like a bouncer! I wish I could avoid town altogether.

Reply Posted by Dave on Saturday October 25 2014 at 21:19
well done barnsley council. Hit the scum where it hurts 'ie their giro' no need for it and as far as the chav scum that drive there border line legal ridiculous excuse for cars. Who throw their mc rubbish from the window. Really should spend six week in a prison cell. We all have to live here why not make it the nicest we can. We were born human not a bloody dog !

Reply Posted by Roy on Saturday October 25 2014 at 21:59
Finally someone (th) has raised the level of debate. #niceone

Reply Posted by bundy on Saturday October 25 2014 at 22:23
Its a private. Company that's during it

Reply Posted by Sarah w on Sunday October 26 2014 at 07:48
I work at capitol park dodworth and travellers often park up here for days leaving piles of rubbish when they do eventually leave , last time they even used the emergency exit stairs as toilets !! Do they get fined for all the crap they leave behind ...., mmm I think not !

Reply Posted by dd on Sunday October 26 2014 at 12:10
I've seen the enforcement team in interchange. Surely they can't do you. It doesn't belong to bmbc

Reply Posted by just saying on Sunday October 26 2014 at 17:37
labor party shud be fined for all the rubbish it left in Barnsley town hall

Reply Posted by Mantox on Monday October 27 2014 at 19:49
"If no one threw rubbish on the floor how many cleaners /g4s staff would out of a job?" - Craig

"and as for the gestapo I lived in Germany for 2 years & guess what the streets are lovely & clean so it must work" - Suki

Equally brilliant! I can't pick a winner!
The use of "rant over!" or "just sayin" or "not being funny but..." would have probably swung it for me. However, I think I'll have to give the 'Food For Thought' award to Craig for his exquisite logic and mental gymnastics. Congrats Craig.

Reply Posted by Liz on Friday October 31 2014 at 07:04
Why do people drop litter anyway ? Its so easy to dispose of it properly ,when I was at school we were taught Keep Britain Tidy. I've never dropped litter and don't see why people do it !!!

Reply Posted by Andy on Friday October 31 2014 at 08:58
Why just operate town centre is it a image thing they need to operate public footpaths and parks also

Reply Posted by Respect on Saturday November 1 2014 at 09:59
I work in a secondary school, the litter problem is horrendous, there is a total lack of respect from some young people in our society. We hold regular after school events with refreshments and you can see where most of the kids get there habits, ive seen parents dropping litter not 2 feet from a bin. People dropping litter on the street should be fined its a total lack of respect for society and rules. I dont advocate gestapo tactics, but there has to be a change from the nanny state we live in. Law breakers are given more rights than victims, kids running riot with no real consequences, too much money is been spent on patchng up the aftermath of societys lack of respect.

Reply Posted by rybo on Sunday November 2 2014 at 19:23
U shouldnt drop rubbish, but instead of fining them daft amounts of money that many cant afford and will probably have a payment plan of £1 a werk set up....why not make them do a days community service picking litter up, surely this will help the town become tidyer!! Instead of lining the pockets of others!

Reply Posted by Xx on Sunday November 2 2014 at 19:57
I was fined for my 3 yr old dropping something x

Reply Posted by WAB / GRAMMAR POLICE on Sunday November 2 2014 at 22:49
Sloppy reporting, there is no such place as Darton Street in Darton!

Deary me!

Reply Posted by claire on Monday November 3 2014 at 07:00
The council would make a Killing on fines if they come to the skate park at Hoyle Mill!

Reply Posted by Anna on Monday November 3 2014 at 08:49
Do drop litter and don't get fined = simple!

Reply Posted by Anna on Monday November 3 2014 at 08:50
*Don't

Reply Posted by ? on Monday November 3 2014 at 08:56
What lawful right does a private company have to get your details from you. Sorry sir not entering into a contract with you so I will be on my way

Reply Posted by Neil on Monday November 3 2014 at 10:19
No lawful right what so ever a private company cannot issue fines nor do they have any powers to demand your name, address or detain you. The council however can issue fines but you can opt to go to court and as it is a criminal offence you then have to be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt in order to get fined.

Also a child committing a criminal offence should not result in the parent being fined although for repeat offences they may be asked to attend a parenting programme, asked to sign a Parenting Contract or given a Parenting Order by a court. No court would be likely to do any of these for say a 4 year old dropping a sausage roll.

Reply Posted by Neil on Monday November 3 2014 at 10:22
forgot to add the age of criminal responsibility is 10 years. It is 10 years for a reason. as that is the age kids are legally determined to understand what they are doing is wrong.

Reply Posted by ? on Monday November 3 2014 at 16:41
No summary fine can be given, where is the burden of proof. For a punishment or fine to be issued it should be done by a court of the 'LAND'