Search On For Area's Best Bus Driver

Wednesday September 24 2014

Jeffrey and Paul Jeffrey and Paul

WHAT do you think to bus drivers? Passengers in Barnsley can now vote for their favourite.

To mark a national customer service week, which takes place from October 6-12, operator Stagecoach has launched its annual star-based competition.

Barnsley driver Jeffrey Mann, who bagged last year's award, said: "I take great pride in what I do so it was fantastic to be rewarded for what I love doing.

"I try and give the best service possible so it's fantastic recognition."

Paul Lynch, managing director of Stagecoach Yorkshire, said: "We have a fantastic team of drivers - many who go above and beyond for our passengers - and our competition is about recognising their dedication and talent."

Customers can vote for their favourite Stagecoach Yorkshire driver by clicking here, or by filling in an on-bus form.

Reply Posted by disabledparent on Wednesday September 24 2014 at 18:10
Can't really praise the drivers..
I have a disabled child and on a few occasions have been refused access on the bus due to prams or old people in the wheel chair bay..
But there is clearly a sticker there that says they should move for a wheelchair user..
When I challenged one driver about this he just shrugged his shoulders and drove off..

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday September 25 2014 at 20:25
the driver cant force people to move seats. if a passenger is sitting in the disabled bay, they driver can only ASK them to move. ive had some elderly refuse point blank to move, but according to the company i work for, theres nothing the driver can do about it

Reply Posted by Barnsley'lass on Wednesday September 24 2014 at 18:41
Some bus drivers do more than needed for passengers and have a laugh and actually use manners when you thank them. some bus drivers are rude and look and talk to you like you are a piece of dirt. Yes bus drivers deserve respect for what they do but they need to respect people aswell, some of them really make stage-coach look rubbish and thats putting the company into the same catogary. Stage-coach need to have a look at there drivers and peoples complains because some of the drivers are rude expecially to the older generation and to less-abled people, i agreed with the comment above, and i have seen this my-self. i think alot of people will agree with me and the comment above.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday September 25 2014 at 13:08
there is more then 1 bus operater serving barnsley but none of them get noticed

Reply Posted by PETE on Thursday September 25 2014 at 13:39
Lol...You mean Tates? Ha-ha Stagecoach rejects! Tates must be the biggest cowboy firm in history.

Reply Posted by Ken on Thursday September 25 2014 at 14:08
PETE@ Drivers move to Tates for 1 reason.

better paid job. NO BRAINER

Reply Posted by inmyopinion on Thursday September 25 2014 at 16:09
You have missed the point, it's Stagecoach who are asking passengers to vote for their drivers, nothing to do with other company's they can organize their own

Reply Posted by Phil on Thursday September 25 2014 at 17:33
As a Stagecoach driver I can tell you that we're better paid than Tates drivers, only reason our drivers leave is because of the Hitler regime that were ruled by.

Reply Posted by PETE on Thursday September 25 2014 at 18:42
You will find that stagecoach drivers are on more money than Tates lol Tates drivers have to work alot more hours just to be on same sort of money per week, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday September 25 2014 at 20:27
" better paid job. NO BRAINER " ...really. i do approx 44 hrs a week, they do around 60ish to clear the same amount???? get your facts right first

Reply Posted by True Red on Thursday September 25 2014 at 14:19
They get swore at, abused by the drunks, morons who think smoking on public is fun, fighting, being threatened, punched, these are only a few things these drivers put up with. They need to have the constitution of a saint, to put up with us, the public. Give yourself a pat on the back all you bus drivers .

Reply Posted by Em on Thursday September 25 2014 at 15:36
Ken really.... Tates work 50 to 60 hrs a week to make same money so pete is nearer the mark .

Reply Posted by why on Thursday September 25 2014 at 19:52
Why as this become an argument about wages???
Doesn't matter how much they get paid it's their attitude and things they do for passengers..

Reply Posted by littlemally on Thursday September 25 2014 at 20:03
I wont be voting... at least i get greeted politely and with a smile on Tates buses, only get a grunt and a frown from Stagecoach drivers.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday September 25 2014 at 20:29
is this talking from 1 bad experience or have you been on around 200 stagecoach buses, each with different drivers and had the same experience EVERY time? i dont think so muppet

Reply Posted by Bussin Ess on Friday September 26 2014 at 03:06
Phil Simms - Best by a long long shot

Reply Posted by Em on Friday September 26 2014 at 05:48
What at being late Phil ....

Reply Posted by disabledparent on Friday September 26 2014 at 09:11
@anon who you calling a Muppet???

I've had plenty of experience with getting refused access so don't criticise my comment...

Wasn't until a friend of mine started working for stagecoach recently and I asked them about it and where I stand if refused.

Your comment seems to say you work for stagecoach, so what was their reply????

Reply Posted by worsbrough on Friday September 26 2014 at 12:07
Stagecoach is full of fat unhappy drivers that never turn ip on time and when a bus comes theres another 2 behind it stage coach is a joke firm pull socks up and stand up tall

Reply Posted by ^^^^^^^ on Friday September 26 2014 at 13:36
and lesbo,s

Reply Posted by Aghast Whilst Reading on Friday September 26 2014 at 21:22
Reading these replies, I can totally understand what an old colleague of mine meant when he ( regularly ) said: "If ignorance is bliss, then I'm sorry to say that Barnsley has to be one of the happiest towns in all the land"
The attitude of the people in this town - which I used to be proud of calling home - in general is nothing short of disgusting.
Keeping to the topic to iterate my point, yes, some drivers could do with an attitude check but keep in mind, happiness is a mood, not a destination. It's OK for someone to be a bit moody from time to time.
Next, the public. The way some of the passengers on buses behave makes me wonder if the unlucky sod driving has just copped for kick out time at a stag do venue. The language used on the buses is appalling, and for love of God will at least one person in this town take your rubbish with you!!! The ammount of times I have gotten on a bus and spent two minutes trying to find a seat without pasty crumbs on it, all the while dodging empty cans and bottles on the floor. Jesus wept, I fear for the condition of the homes of people in our town if the people on public transport are this disgusting. Quite frankly, this alone would drive me to be grumpy if I was a driver.
As stated, the drivers get abused etc. I have seen it happen. I know a few drivers for Stagecoach and they tell me time and again of the short times they have to work to - and ask one or two to explain the distances they go and the times they get to do it in and you will see why the buses are sometimes late - the fact that the company does everything it can to out drivers instead of backing them up like they should, and the conditions they work in that make so many quit. It really is a grim tale to hear.
Yes, the relationship between drivers and passengers does need to improve, but by no stretch should the change come solely from the drivers. Come on folks, lets at least try to make the driver's job a little easier than we have been doing..

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday September 28 2014 at 10:23
well said that person...about the mess on the buses, it would be nice if people didnt treat the bus like its a restaurant, bringing on pasties, fish n chips & sometimes pizzas & kebabs. you are NOT allowed on a bus with hot food ( even if you put in your bag & say you wont touch it til you get off, IT'S STILL HOT FOOD )

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Saturday September 27 2014 at 16:39
Not all drivers are bad mannered, same can be said for passengers, if we all tried to get along a bit better, the world would be a much happier place.

Reply Posted by Adrian on Saturday September 27 2014 at 20:46
I think there's good and bad drivers for each bus company..if you had a debate on the best and worse bus companies then Tates would be the worse..buses always late..they often don't turn up..the 96 bus to Wakefield is a disgrace..I winter to use local company but they're a disgrace..on Thursday 0734 bus 30 mins late..on Friday it didn't turn up at all..buses back in evening late both days..today waited for 14 bus at 0942 to town..didn't turn up...absolute joke of a company..I will be using Stagecoach from Monday onwards

Reply Posted by tates driver on Saturday September 27 2014 at 21:05
we are trying to keep services running as we r covering sick leave personal and other driver's doing extra bit's to help out when and within their driving hours

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday September 28 2014 at 10:21
aint it because they are short of drivers? just something i heard other day. some service aer NOT running as they dont have enough staff.

Reply Posted by Adrian on Sunday September 28 2014 at 21:27
Tates driver I'm not criticising drivers just the fact the 96 bus is ran poorly..if ppl are off sick then your boss should have adequate cover for such eventualities..I was late for work twice last week..Friday..waited for 96 from 0725..got into work in Wakefield 0930..left work 1715 for 1723 bus home..15 mins late..every day for the last 2 weeks except once the bus was late..joke company ran on a shoestring

Reply Posted by Adrian on Saturday September 27 2014 at 20:47
I want to not winter to!

Reply Posted by flabbergasted on Sunday September 28 2014 at 14:18
If only you people knew what we have to put up with.
When you get told by a passenger, who incidentally was trying to get away without paying the correct fare, that he hopes your kids get cancer you might understand why we are sometimes a little grumpy

Reply Posted by The truth on Sunday September 28 2014 at 22:04
If some of these posts are anything to go with, I'm glad I'm not a bus driver, and good luck to those who are. You lot must put up with a lot

Reply Posted by inspector blake on Monday September 29 2014 at 16:46
Don't vote for Stan butler,I hate you butler ,I hate you butler.,....