Outstanding School Wants To Open New Primary

Wednesday September 24 2014

'Oustanding' - Greenacre School 'Oustanding' - Greenacre School

AN 'outstanding' Barnsley school is planning to open a new primary.

Greenacre, on Keresforth Hill Road, is a special school which is highly rated by education watchdog Ofsted.

Its proposed primary school would have 480 pupils, with a split of just 20 per cent special educational needs and 80 per cent mainstream children.

Headteacher Susan Hayter said: "We're currently engaging with Barnsley Council in the hope they will support Greenacre to bring an additional outstanding school to the community."

What do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by me on Friday September 26 2014 at 20:35
Personally I would not want to put my child in a school that had such high % special needs, totally selfish I know but I believe my children would receive a better education elsewhere and there needscome first to me.

Reply Posted by to me on Friday September 26 2014 at 21:00
20% special needs, can you read

Reply Posted by Barnsley Truth on Saturday September 27 2014 at 20:10
Your children would never be able to attend the school you were in.

Reply Posted by jade on Saturday September 27 2014 at 20:25
My younger brother goes to this school and after been in such distress at a mainstream school I will take my hat off to greenacre I saw him go from a child which kicked off everyday after been in a mainstream school cause they didn't have the ability to deal with him properly to a nice polite caring young man and with the many children they have to teach and settle each day they find time to give each pupil the time and dedication they need

Reply Posted by L D on Saturday September 27 2014 at 20:36
Thanks Jade..lovely comments regarding this amazing school..I am a governor at the school and my child has been a pupil for over 7 years and it too has transformed him from a child swallowed up and bewildered in an unsettled mainstream school to a free thinking independent young adult.

I am pleased to hear that your brother is doing well at Greenacre..its good to hear positive feedback.

Reply Posted by craig on Saturday September 27 2014 at 23:15
Quite a few mainstream schools have that percentage of special needs anyway - my opinion is if this school is providing an outstanding education for special needs children then it needs to keep doing what it does best

Reply Posted by @ jj on Sunday September 28 2014 at 10:39
There has been a large turnover of staff recently due to the implementation of satellite placements successfully created in mainstream schools. Some amazing staff now support SEN in mainstream schools and obviously the school needed to replace those individuals. People aren't quitting - work opportunities are being created. But of course, it is a school that provides amazing training and opportunities so some staff do move on to other careers off of the back of their career at greenacre. Also some people can't handle our complex and personalised approach to each student. It is hard work and sometimes overwhelming - but being rated outstanding doesn't come easily.

Reply Posted by NN on Sunday September 28 2014 at 11:22
The high staff turnover is also due to the nightmare head teacher. You only know this if you actually work there Thankfully many if the staff actually care about the children and not just advancing their own career and ego.
How much individual care do you think the children with special needs will get when 80% are mainstream and the head is pursuing high results in national league tables?

Reply Posted by J on Sunday September 28 2014 at 11:43
@ME how ignorant can you be - special needs children have the right to be integrated with mainstream, you sound completely thick and narrow minded. It is unfortunate if you have children they will probably be brought up with the same narrow minded attitudes to others who require a little extra support.

Reply Posted by margaret on Sunday September 28 2014 at 14:58
My grandson levi goes to greenacre and we cant praise them enough he went from been able to do nothing and now can read write do computer swim run more or less as much as a child with no problems the teachers carers and head teachers and governors do tremendous work with their pupils nothing too much for them even to make sure they are delivered home safely their hard work is amazing keep up the good work greenacre

Reply Posted by sunshinegirl on Monday September 29 2014 at 07:26
I think this is a great idea! all schools have children with SEN but maybe this new school would just be better at integration. society needs to realise children with SEN want to be accepted and part of the community so hopefully this can help change and educate people like 'me' who commented?

Reply Posted by Menmine on Monday September 29 2014 at 20:39
What a thoughtless uneducated thing to say my daughter is sen and attends a mainstream school better not identify her as you children may go to the same school and heaven forbid she even smiled at them some people are pathetic

Reply Posted by kaz on Monday September 29 2014 at 20:40
@ Me.... Arghhh reading yr comment has furiated me...My son is in Mainstream and having a tough time he has atypical autism n adhd but too high functioning for tjis school!! He isolated and excluded from most things...parties tea at mates. And narrow minded ppl n parents like you are the reason! Hes not contageous he simply is left out due to some parent having a negative attitude like yours!
I only hope any of yr kids dont encounter any social difficulties or additional needs cos all I can say is God help them ! End of!

Reply Posted by Menmine on Monday September 29 2014 at 20:47
Kaz I couldn't agree more what chance do our children have with people like that in the world

Reply Posted by chan on Monday September 29 2014 at 20:58
At 'me' I really hope your children dont have any difficulties when attending school. My daughter has just been diagnosed with asd n still waiting for assesment for adhd and sensory processing disorder. Its ppl like you who make our childrens life a living nightmare. I can garentee u that in most mainstream primary and secondary schools there are between 4 and 20 children with asd never mind any other special need. All people that have special needs or care for someone with special needs want is acceptance n to be helped so they can live a 'normal' life as possible. I feel for any child whos parents are ignorant to these conditions. U should be setting a good example n teaching them that ppl may be different but in no way r they any less.

Reply Posted by Carol on Monday September 29 2014 at 21:42
Do you think it's really all about money..it usually is! If more children with sen are to be educated in mainstream schools then Greenacre needs to change. A shame really because I think specialist schools do a tremendous job preparing vulnerable children for independant lives and I hope this will not be diluted if they go mainstream!