Spider Experts Urge Homeowners Not To Panic

Monday September 22 2014

WILDLIFE experts have warned people not to panic by an influx of larger-than-normal spiders as temperatures begin to fall.

With the beginning of autumn signalling a cold spell in the weather after several months of high temperatures, creepy crawlies are now set to seek warmth inside to escape the looming cold.

Reports of bigger spiders have flooded into We Are Barnsley, with many across the borough reporting lots of sightings.

Professor Adam Hart, from the University of Gloucester, said this year's been a good one for the invertebrates which the spiders feed on, leading to a growth spurt.

"There's no need to panic - we've had nice summers before," he wrote on his Twitter account.

Have you noticed more in your house? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Beci on Monday September 22 2014 at 14:32
Larger than normal??? They look like they've been pumping steroids lol I've had loads it's my worst fear as I'm terrified of them if they want to play in my garden or even my shed that's fine but if they come in my house there going up the Hoover pipe!!

Reply Posted by mel on Monday September 22 2014 at 16:00
yea I've seen them running across my lounge floor they are deff on steroids lol i found a squashed one in the street that was even bigger than that one in the box in the picture

Reply Posted by worsbrough on Monday September 22 2014 at 18:58
I caught one lifting my sofa up with my mum laid on 100 key not a problem for it

Reply Posted by betty on Monday September 22 2014 at 19:46
we collect horse chesnuts they are the best repellent I no , we put them in cupboards in corners everywhere they may be lurking, we have a toilet outside and spiders used to love it but the last two yrs we have put them in there and no spiders.

Reply Posted by dude on Monday September 22 2014 at 21:03
I hit one with a rolled up newspaper and it took it off me and hit me back

Reply Posted by Barbara on Monday September 22 2014 at 22:34
I saw one that big it had tatoos on its biceps

Reply Posted by raydude on Tuesday September 23 2014 at 07:48
I saw a huge one outside. I tried to stamp on it but it grabbed my shoe, ragged it off my foot and chased me down the street hitting me with it

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday September 23 2014 at 08:56
The one I saw almost knocked me over! When it got outa the car, it thumped me 8 times!! Just glad itwernt a centipede!!!

Reply Posted by spider on Tuesday September 23 2014 at 09:12
spider spider on the wall

come down before you fall

do you no that wall been newly plastered

come down you BIG b@stard.

Reply Posted by the spider on Tuesday September 23 2014 at 10:13
Im going to terror you all me and my pals been working at the gym all summer to get extra big wont be long till the world is ours

Reply Posted by littlemally on Tuesday September 23 2014 at 11:39
haha these are funny.. gave me a chuckle.

Reply Posted by Joe on Wednesday September 24 2014 at 02:51
I fell off the toilet when I saw a big one sat on the wall next to me.. I squashed it and it was still moving even though 3 of it's legs had come off!!

Reply Posted by meeee on Wednesday October 1 2014 at 22:15
used to love killed spiders until I took an arrow to the knee