News » WAB Debate

Should The School Nit Nurse Be Reintroduced?

Tuesday September 16 2014

A BARNSLEY woman plans to set up an online petition to ask the council to consider reintroducing the community nit nurse.

Karen Cocking‎, of Shafton, wants nit nurses back in local schools.

Do you agree? How many times have you had to deal with 'little visitors'? And what do you think could be done to help the situation?

Reply Posted by vicki parkin on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 09:16
The nit nurse the dentist & the optician should be re-introduced ...
Also the school nurse should be able to perform her duties to the fullest ...

Reply Posted by hayl on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 09:17
I agree! some parents are disgusting not getting rid of them. a nit nurse in every school would sort this. wont happen tho. teachers arent even allowed to talk to parents about if their kids have nits. its not fair on the mums who have to fork out to get rid of them all the time.

Reply Posted by tracy on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 09:37
I totally agree Vicki Parkin about nit nurse,dentists and optician I'm sick if mi child coming home with nits I get her cleared straight away but others don't even bother

Reply Posted by Natalie Gosney on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 09:53
Yep definitely I totally agree the nit nurse should be reintroduced. I've got 4 kids, three of them are in primary school. They've only been back at school a week and a half, and already I've had to spend over £50 on Hedrin to clear us all of nits because my daughter caught them after 3 days back at school. It's ridiculous. It's a nightmare having to deal with them, and all because other parents aren't so vigilant.

Reply Posted by carolanne on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 10:27
I totally agree that they should be back in schools from infant to high school

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 10:59
No parents should check their children's hair everyday I have 3 daughters my two young girls have their hair checked every night after bath and my eldest daughter does it herself

Reply Posted by margaret on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 12:32
all schools should have stocks of headlice treatments and have the power to treat a child in school,theres lots of leave in treatments available and then the kids can have their hair washed when they get home,i know if I thought my kids would have to be treated at school id make damn sure they didn't have them

Reply Posted by Chris Corbett on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 12:53
Yes she should. My daughter is constantly getting nits and it costs me over £20 every time she gets them. Personally I think if kids have nits their parents should be told that unless they get rid of them they should not be allowed back in school. Due to the cost of treatment parents should get help with the cost. It has cost me hundreds of pounds and many hours sorting my daughters hair. Also it is not fair to her. Where is hygiene these days???

Reply Posted by Pam on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 14:51
My two are allergic to the bites as am I so as soon as they get them they are itching like mad. Then I get a phone call so go get them, off to doctors for treatment or chemist then they are treated, Nitty Gritty comb used, covered in stinking sodding tea tree oil (I HATE that stuff now) and then sprayed with the repellent. Every time they have their hair washed it's with that tea tree stuff and then sprayed every single morning before they go out but still once a fortnight minimum we have it again.

Because my kids are the ones itching the staff ring me but if they were checked they would see the other kids who must be crawling with them and keep infecting mine. Mine get checked once per week minimum it's the sunday night routine surely, bath, jamas on, head checked always was when I was a kid anyway.

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 15:18
Not dealing with a childs' infestation is neglect, pure and simple.

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 20:48
Yes the nit nurse should be brought back n schools should have more power. My daughters school has sent a letter out stating that they cannot send children home with nits as its against the childs right to an education. But yet if they have chicken pox even if well they are not allowed in due to contamination of other kids surly this is in the same category as head lice is very contagious. But just to let ppl kno that it doesn't have to cost anything for treatment. If theres no gps appointments u can always go to your local pharmacy as most offer whats called pharmacy first. Its free to get the treatment for any child under 18 and for adults if u dont pay for prescriptions. I personally wouldn't want my child to suffer parents who dont treat should be done for child neglect.

Reply Posted by alc on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 13:21
Yes!!!!!! My son had them twice in 2 weeks, i spent over £30 for him to just come home again with them a week later. I told one of the mums i had seen them in her childs hair as the teachers have to be discreet but the mother said no her child didnt have them but the next i saw one crawling through the mothers hair BRING BACK THE NIT NURSE!!!!

Reply Posted by Nana on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 18:41
Yes bring back something needs to be done! My daughter has had them 3 times and they only been back at school a few weeks im sick and tired of lazy ass parents doing f**k all when u tell them their child has lice allowing them to infest al over! Wot gets me though u can get treatment for FREE its just pure laziness! i even saw a lice crawlin on my 1yr old n shes hardly got hair!

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Thursday September 18 2014 at 07:44
Reduce the number of councilors, welcome back not nurse .

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday September 18 2014 at 17:14
I was very lucky when my 2 were in primary they only both had them the once! They were checked everyday....I think the growing problem is down to "some" parents that are too lazy to keep there children clean! Nothing worse than nits! Eeeewwwwww poor kids!

Reply Posted by Another 'me' on Thursday September 18 2014 at 19:50
Where is the actual reasoning behind this argument? To have the slightest impact, EVERY child would need to be checked at least once per week. That's not just primary children. That's nursery/childcare and secondary children as well (as many have primary school siblings). There will continue to be many parents who will fail to treat their children even after it's brought to their attention. Sadly, that's the way of the World and although is neglect, is a lesser form than what is encountered and acted upon by Social Services as a singular concern.
Everyone is able to access free head lice treatment for children so cost shouldn't be an issue - in reality that isn't what prevents people from treating their children!
Realistically, a 'nit nurse' scheme would only highlight children who needed treatment (even handled in the most discrete way this has the potential to single children out and promote bullying) the cost even of doing that to have any impact would be nationally extortionate. Unless it was implemented as part of the NHS services, would come from school budgets, meaning a significant hit for for things such as school trips.
When it comes down to it, it only takes one child to be affected to pass on to other children.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Thursday September 18 2014 at 22:06
I AGREE, the nit nurse should be in schools. I am absolutly fed up of the things, iv bought headline shampoo, leave in spray repellant the lot and still every other week my daughter has them. Bankend school is rife with them. My daughter has really long hair so it cost me nearly £15 everytime and that's just for her, then it's another 7 pound odd per family member and there is 6 of us. So ye it costs a chuffing fortune. Then I have to start stripping beds, bleaching absolutly everywhere, washing towels and clothing on boil washes, sterilising brushes, combs ect. I swear if it carries on il either pull her out of school until it's sorted or she will wear a hat, I know it's not school uniform but neither is a head full of lice.
Trouble is most mothers don't give a ****, as long as they have their fags and booze then they are ok. I look at it as neglect if the same child has lice all the time and doesn't get rid of them.
I will defo sign the petition several times.

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Monday September 22 2014 at 15:07
My mother checked our hair regular when we did get the 40 years ago the was no fancy nit cream just good old sarsons vinegar.

I remember going back to school after lunch and my class mates said I stunk of vinegar.

I told them we have fish and chips.

Then she started sitting us between her legs to do the checking. the nits left voluntarily.

Those were the days

Reply Posted by Ruby on Sunday September 28 2014 at 20:11
I agree the nit nurse should be brought back, I have 2 girls both with long hair and I cant remember how many times I've had to treat them. People are complaining on the cost of treatment but it can be prescribed free of charge for your children or obtained without prescription from chemist on "chemist purse" again free. I also agree with the comment that schools should be empowered to treat kids at school or the nurse could treat all kids in the class to save embarrassment to a few

Reply Posted by jan on Monday September 29 2014 at 01:06
The school nurses hardly have time to go to the toilet these days, with all the extra responsibilities they have. Its not really their respnsibility, its the parents. My daughter had them only once in all her school life n my son never. What has changed to cause this increase, im sure its not the lesser input from school nurses. As for dentists and optitions, dentists do not charge for checking childrens teeth, mine were introduced to dentists as babys when I attended, they have no fear and at 27 and 24 have never had a filling or extraction. As for optitions, I as a responsible parent have taken them both and paid for my sons glasses/contacts even though it has been diffiucult at times. Parents take some responsibility.

Reply Posted by Lauren on Monday November 17 2014 at 20:30
I agree the nit nurse should be back , I always check my daughters hair thoroughly on a Sunday Wednesday and Friday and if they have them I get them straight in the bath and bome comb her hair I probably spend about £100 pound on Hedrin a year , and after they've had them I have too clean the sheets and steep the combs and brushes also then I have to note to my daughters friends parents which is sometimes really embarrasing. THE NIT NURSE SHOULD COME BACK !

Reply Posted by paul on Wednesday November 19 2014 at 16:16
The nit nurse should be reintroduced and any infected kids should be banned from school until they have a doctor's note saying they are clear. This is how it's done in Germany and it works for them. My child is in primary school and has had 6 letters sent home in November alone and we know he's clean, but there are kids in his class whose parents don't speak much English and come from countries not known for their cleanliness.

Reply Posted by your name here on Thursday November 19 2015 at 19:14
Please bring the nit nurse back, yes Bankend Primary School pupils are infested with lice. Parents don't care that their child's itching all day. Its disgusting, Bankend Staff should definitely have a nit nurse or do something more. Dep head should address it to all parents and do more.

Reply Posted by Gyongyi Vafaie on Sunday February 28 2016 at 17:39
I'm sick of my kids having nits constantly. Other parents don't clear their kids' hair so my kids get re-infected constantly. Outrageous!