Better Food To Be Offered In Hospitals

Thursday September 11 2014

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

NEW rules have been introduced to serve up better food in hospitals.

The Hospital Food Standards Panel, led by Dianne Jeffrey, chairman of Age UK, published a report recommending five legally-binding food standards for the NHS.

Hospitals will also be ranked for food quality on the NHS website.

The latest patient inspection at Barnsley Hospital showed a 95 per cent score for food quality and 80 per cent score for food choice.

What do you think to hospital food? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by gail on Thursday September 11 2014 at 19:58
When will people realise they are not in a hotel and stop complaining and be thankful the food is free. And yes I have been in Barnsley Hospital many times and the meal are quite adequate. Those that complain are usually the ones that live on junk at home, so shut up and be grateful.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday September 12 2014 at 20:24
Try and get some roast beef in there restaurant they can't afford it ,its sausages onions, and gravy that's there most popular dish,says a lot about the pallet of the clientele WhO seek food in Barnsley's restaurant.

Reply Posted by NHSWatch on Saturday September 27 2014 at 14:17
It's been proved by Professional chefs of some repute that good quality food can be produced at a profit but the powers that be the hospital managers/executives don't care, they want to produce food that's easy to serve and requires no effort.

The amount spent per patient on food is quite a lot but the actual standard is generally very poor, one only has to see by the recent pictures of food served in hospitals up and down the country?

I don't expect Ala Carte when I go into hospital but I do expect something edible, and as for many of you saying it's FREE, it isn't, we pay for the NHS out of our taxes don't forget that?

Doing some research I've found that some hospitals are saying they spend up to £14 pounds per day per patient, if that's the case then the managers are being conned, prison food has to attain a certain standard and it's much better than hospital food, do we honestly think prison inmates should get better food than struggling severely ill people in hospital?

Reply Posted by sensibility on Saturday September 13 2014 at 17:01
I agree Gail. I have received excellent treatment there and the food is certainly acceptable (unlike the Northern General :) )

Reply Posted by Ged on Saturday September 13 2014 at 18:46
More than 20 times as an inmate in Barnsley (and other hospitals) the longest being 7 weeks. The portions may be a bit small for a man with an appetite but there's always an extra slice of bread/toast or two and the missus brings me a sandwich for my supper if I need it. Can't fault it and on the occasions when there's nothing you fancy, there's always a sandwich. It's not broke - don't fix it.

Reply Posted by Jim on Monday September 15 2014 at 05:23
I own a highly rated restaraunt and have been admitted in Barnsley General on a few occasions always been pleased with the food served if you want restaraunt quality food I'm afraid it comes at a price ££ be gratefull

Reply Posted by jenny on Monday September 15 2014 at 22:02
my dad was in barnsley hospital earlier this year and all he got offered for evening meals was sandwiches or jacket potatoes, which he cant stand. his breakfast is only cold cereal or toast, which i wouldnt mind but as he is diabetic AND a chef he says they are ridiculous meals for anybody. how can you heal after surgery?? you need protein to heal quickly. my mum was in northern general last year after having an operation on her hand, stomach and leg and she got proper meals, 3 cooked every day, with meat and she also got protein shakes to increase the speed in which she healed and it worked

Reply Posted by NHSWatch on Saturday September 27 2014 at 14:29
Jenny

I totally agree, you need good food to enable the body to heal itself, without that you will take much longer to heal and take up more hospital time but sadly the hospital managers don't regard food as important as medicine which is idiotic?

I've been in Barnsley Hospital this year, the staff were excellent but the food offered was of a poor quality, maybe the others commenting on here are used to poor quality food and think the stuff being served there is OK, I for one think the food is poor I don't care what the survey say's, surveys and numbers can allways be made to suit the purpose?

Having to go without food for nearly fifteen hours is also a bad thing whicvh happened on our ward very regulary whilst I was in Barnsley, tea was served at about 5.15 PM then one didn't get anything else till the next day at approx 8.15/30, this huge gap between eating is ludicrous especially when you have people with diabetes etc, absolutely terrible?

As others have said a sandwich for a main meal with such a huge gap between is unsatisfactory, the hospital is failing on it's provision of food?

James Martin proved good quality food could be served to patients at a profit and less wastage but this lasted for only a few weeks after James left the hospital, as soon as he went he later found out they went back to cooked chill, the process ruines food, it turns it into something you wouldn't feed your dog, why would hospital managers do that when it had been proved the otherway was better for the patients and more cost effective?

Its the people in suits that are destroying our NHS in all areas and not just food?

www.nhswatch.org.uk

Reply Posted by Jim on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 08:24
For your records we run a 5 star awarded restaraunt not a greasy spoon cafe maybe that's the kind of food you are accustomed to , maybe some old fat out of the fryers at Barnsley hospital on toast might be right for your taste buds , you should be gratefull that you are given free food I'm sure a lot of people across the world would be

Reply Posted by Observer on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 10:14
I have been in bdgh several times. And personally i think the food has been great. Good selections. And served by well mannered people.