Council Ignore Residents' Concerns About Housing Development

Friday September 12 2014

OVER 100 new homes will be built on fields - despite more than 160 objections.

The objections, including one from MP Angela Smith, were submitted against plans to develop land off Hartcliffe Road, Penistone.

But members of Barnsley Council's planning board ignored residents' fears about inadequate access to the site and opted to go along with the recommendations.

"We must be desperate," said Coun Paul Hand-Davis. "We're going to have 200 to 300 cars going on Hartcliffe Road in a morning - how the hell are they going to get through the traffic lights?

"We're going to have kids on bikes, kids walking to school... it ain't going to happen, we must be barmy.

"Penistone is just one big building site at the moment. We're changing the nature of the town."

The 139-property development will be a mix of two, three and four-bedroom detached and semi-detached homes.

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Friday September 12 2014 at 11:19
Welcome to the real world.Developers are the new bankers of the world and particular when it comes to dealing with local Councillors who act as Barons of our land.

It's not the houses that worries me it's the schools Doctors and NHS that can not cope.

Reply Posted by carl on Sunday September 14 2014 at 14:59
weve just had 56 homes built at the back of us and the same will be built again on alodham house fields the noise dust and vehicles will drive u mad but when its finish you will get new neighbours not just using nhs doctors schools ect but money into community shops its not all bad news we got some fantastic neighbours now

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday September 12 2014 at 12:30
This undemocratic council will not be content until vast swathes of our precious green belt land is paved over.
The don't listen because they don't want to listen.

STOP VOTING THEM IN THEN THEY WILL LISTEN!

Reply Posted by Kath on Friday September 12 2014 at 13:39
although I agree with every word, I think its going to take a few more generations to get them out @STEVO. Maybe not in our lifetime! When will people realise Labour are not working for the people of Barnsley. Quite the opposite!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday September 12 2014 at 15:45
My point was obviously aimed at the local populous who always bet on red as many generations of the same family have done over the last 80 years or so.
Change is most definitely needed but unfortunately NONE of the political parties have the working mans (persons) best interests at heart.
The Lib Dems are a laughing stock.
The Tories are only interested in demonising the poor and making themselves much much richer.
Labour haven't even announced their key policies for the next general election.
Ukip anyone that votes for these fools seriously needs their head read, they are even more right wing than the tories and want to scrap the minimum wage, FULLY privatise the NHS and Frack in your backyard.

Unless a "credible" party is formed then i'm afraid the monster raving loony party will get my X.

Reply Posted by The truth on Friday September 12 2014 at 14:08
And will the liberals or the conservatives listen @kath I think not.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday September 12 2014 at 14:26
VOTE LABOUR... people have never been so better off.. VOTE LABOUR

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday September 12 2014 at 14:25
This has been happening around the rest of Barnsley for quite awhile, welcome to the party Penistone. I am not sure if a change of colour in the council is going to make a blind bit off difference, unless its a) Green or b) Rainbow. Money makes the world go round as the song goes, the wants / needs of the local population mean very little to the political elite.

Reply Posted by ET on Friday September 12 2014 at 16:00
Doesn't matter what party your councillors are, back handing to them works wonders for any new project, no matter how unpopular it is !!

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday September 12 2014 at 16:13
Is it social housing or private housing ,if its social housing blame the blind mice who followed thatcher and bought there council house now causing the council to be broke ( no rents) and hundreds waiting on lists for years.

Reply Posted by cosmic clown on Friday September 12 2014 at 19:02
Can't fault what's been posted, even Guido's post has merit, "must be getting old"

Reply Posted by borraborra on Friday September 12 2014 at 23:55
were the hell is hartcliffe road in penistone dont they mean hartcliffe avenue

Reply Posted by Mick on Sunday September 14 2014 at 19:03
NIMBY

Reply Posted by Tom on Sunday September 14 2014 at 21:11
We need more houses to house the people. We need better houses.

If we don't build more, then we need to ration them. I.e. impose hefty bedroom taxes on private housing and increase housing benefits to ensure the housing is distributed much more fairly and according to how many bedrooms etc. the state deems you worthy of.

Or if we don't ration them, we need to designate an area for slums, and allow houses to be shared by multiple families. (This is what is currently happening)

Solving the housing crisis will involve building more houses. We should really have a right for people to build, so than individuals can build themselves houses one by one, instead of having massive barrat box development.

Reply Posted by dale on Sunday September 14 2014 at 22:29
If i was a politcian/councillor, should vote for me, i've got these things that councils don't have..... EARS!!!

Reply Posted by Guy on Monday September 15 2014 at 12:48
Anyone who believes Rotherham is unique and that who runs the council is relevant is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Reply Posted by Mad bitch on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 22:04
Vote labour lunnies out...best thing could happen to this area....let's have some proper order in power ....something that don't beat about the bush and isn't scared to say it how it should be and not fearing to upset people....time change were growing were coming

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 22:08
Who do we vote for @mad bitch? Who can deliver your promises?

Reply Posted by Mad itch on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 22:09
Time for change...let's get England to being England again...and not a multicultural society...don't want to be like America...we are England...let's have these lunnie lefties out...there taking too much power and abusing it...look at the idiot that finally got message and resigned... Another lunnie lefty thought he was immune...they all think like that...we need to rid society of these sorts ...there corrupt with too much power....time for change ..or your all going to live in this hell hole until you get brave enough to get shut....

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 22:14
Yes but @mad itch, what do you suggest? Its OK spouting but you are same as the rest of us,sheep with no alternatives to vote for. Who do you suggest we vote for?

Reply Posted by Cyra on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 16:53
Penistone is pro conservative and about the only ward that predominantly vote them in every year

Reply Posted by Mad bitch on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 18:27
@ANON.....ME OF COURSE....I WONT BEAT AROUND BUSH...DONT CARE IF I UPSET MINORITIES...AND I GET THINGS DONE....IF I SAY ILL DO IT ...I WILL....I WONT GO LOOKING FOR BROWNIE POINTS LIKE THESE LUNNIE LEFTY MPS DO....I D TAKE ON ALL CORRUPTION IN BARNSLEY COUNCIL FIRST...ALL MONEY WASTING IDEAS WOULD BE REVERSED...SCRAP BEDROOM TAX STRAIGHT OFF...NOT THAT IT HAS EVER EFFECTED ME...BUT DONT AGREE KICKING PPL WHEN THERE ALREADY STRUGGLING...REDUCE THAT WAGE BILL GIVEN TO PEOPLE WHO QUITE CLEARLY DONT DESERVE IT AT BARNSLEY COUNCIL...ID BE GREAT AT RUNNING THE COUNTRY IM TELLING YOU....NO MESSING...ENGLAND TO BE ENGLAND AGAIN !!!!!

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 18:53
I love your passion @mad bitch, I really do. Why can't those in power have a bit of what you,ve got? The trouble is,they say they have at voting time,then it all goes belly up. Must say,I wouldn't want to get on your wrong side. Lol. ;-)

Reply Posted by Madbitch on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 19:07
@anon hahaha funny enough quite a few have said that to me....lol...I'm like this in flesh...no key board warrior....I believe in saying it how it I think...if people don't like it ....tough!....speaking the truth does hurt ...and all this pussy footing around irritates the hell out of me...one thing at least things get done if I ask...lol...too many out there jump on for a free riding...bout time we chucked them off....lol

Reply Posted by Madbitch on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 19:10
I'd love to go sit in one of these council meetings and give them some home truths...trouble is they gagg people like me for speaking their mind...why? Because they don't know how to handle them...:)

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 19:25
Stand for labour @mad bitch, you,all get voted in and then you can do and say more or less what you want after you're in. That's what the rest do,make promises,then don't keep them. What a refreshing change you would make. Well, they say politics is for everyone, get yourself sorted and get yourself up. You have the passion that'sfor sure, you could be just what we need in these dark times. SSomeone that speaks for the average joe/Josephine.:-)

Reply Posted by Madbitch on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 23:08
@anon...lol...aww couldn't stand as a labour lunnie...lol...would have to be a new political group...the madbitch society ...lmao...I'd keep my promises never broke one yet...lol....I'd kick arses in that council...too many work there...wasting money...even social services spend time doing nothing but going on the sick all the time...using the slightest excuse to not work..I sometime shake my head at these people at Barnsley council how they actually function at all...there slow systems in place are brain boggling lol...no wonder there all lunnies lmao...hahaha

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 17 2014 at 23:21
All we can do @mad bitch is live in hope that times and people will change. I do agree with you, they can't even sort the refuse collections out. They're "rubbish" at organization for sure. Just hope they get the town centre right or Barnsley's in trouble.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Thursday September 18 2014 at 07:39
Dear mad bitch your ignorance is so severe may I suggest going to the doctors oohhh you can't do that he or she may not have the correct coloured skin,so remove all the so called non English from the NHS that's the end of that,please study the history of English history,the royal family is anything but pure English blood so they have to go ,St George not one hair of him is English,the language you use everyday its origins are French so that has got to go,food Indian food is the most popular so that HaS to go,all the things you use from the car to the television anything invented by someone non English has to go,doesn't leave much does it mad bitch.