Long-Serving Greggs Grannies To Retire

Friday September 5 2014

THIS trio of grannies have been keeping Barnsley's hungry shoppers happy for more than 90 years between them.

But now Carol Whitehead, Glenis Nunn and Lynne Hines are to hang up their uniforms and call it a day.

The three ladies, who have always worked in May Day Green, started with Greggs when it was known as Thurston's.

Carol, 68, of Borrowdale Close, Ardsley, loves the job so much she decided to carry on working well after her due retirement date.

She said: "I've certainly enjoyed my time here and have made so many good friends - both staff and customers."

Glenis, 63, of St Christopher's Close, Ardsley, said: "I make between 400 and 500 sandwiches every day. If it's raining that number might fall to 300.

"I make them and Carol and Lynne sell them. It's hard work but very enjoyable."

Lynne, 63, of Syndale Road, Cudworth, said: "We get so busy here that every day simply flies by.

"But it's a great team and everyone pitches in. It's really been good fun."

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday September 5 2014 at 14:36
They should retire all Gregg's shops then take them to court to refund some of the millions obesity is crippling the nhs to the tune of five billion a year,shut all the food chains that are killing the NHS.

Reply Posted by Helen on Friday September 5 2014 at 18:47
Well done ladies, you're a great example to set to the youth of today. Too many want money for doing nothing these days.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday September 5 2014 at 22:26
5 billion helps a hell of a lot of people needing expensive drugs doesn't it Helen,a sausage roll ,a pasty,a bacon roll nahhhh,give me the nhs what's pointless there kidda.

Reply Posted by Helen on Friday September 5 2014 at 22:47
These 3 ladies have worked for more than 90 years you idiotic prat and they deserve recognition for this.So I suppose you've NEVER eaten from a fast food chain in your life then 'Guido'? Saint Guido that should be your new name lol! You are always posting stupid posts and having a go at decent hard working people. Maybe you've got too much time on your hands, find something else to do and stop boring the rest of us.

Reply Posted by Helen on Friday September 5 2014 at 22:50
Zzzzz I can feel another 'Guido Fawkes' post appearing really soon Zzzzz. Sooo boring!

Reply Posted by Trev on Sunday September 7 2014 at 09:31
Guido prob don't even work plank.
Worked in food 26 years shuts down u going to pay my wages u need to get a serious grip before u open your mouth

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Sunday September 7 2014 at 12:23
Dear trev a lot of people worked in the coal and steel industries who pays there wages now they have all gone,whether you like it or not 5 billion would do a hell of a lot in health,education,creating employment in run down Ares like Barnsley its a ticking clock trev we cannot allow obesity to continue on and on something has to be done by which government I don't know what do you want a baking job or a bankrupt health service.

Reply Posted by Helen on Sunday September 7 2014 at 17:43
Guido, do you speak in the same way as you write? If you do I bet you're constantly out of breath! Haven't you heard of full stops? Obviously not :-P

Reply Posted by Sid on Sunday September 7 2014 at 18:46
Well stop been rude fawkes to everybody on WAB, if you cant write anything constructive best to go away has you upset too many..

Reply Posted by Helen on Sunday September 7 2014 at 20:04
Sorry Guido for having a go at your punctuation, it was a bit below the belt and I apologise. I agree with you Sid, I think Guido should definately take your advice. I hope you will be good from now on...

Reply Posted by Helen on Sunday September 7 2014 at 23:00
You've not upset me Guido, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I just can't see how closing Greggs would stop obesity. If someone wants to eat unhealthily they can get whatever they want from the supermarket. Everyone knows what healthy foods are but it's their choice if they want to eat them or not.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday September 8 2014 at 13:54
Why should I pay towards ,the five billion it costs if like you say if they can't be arsed to eat the correct food ,shops like Gregg's promote the quick fix food don't they if the burgers shops aren't there then eating healthy becomes one of the only options,I would make Gregg's and the rest pay for the gastric bands,and other costs incurred .by filling people with food that probably the owners don't eat themselves.

Reply Posted by annoyed on Tuesday September 9 2014 at 11:19
Helen, ithink you need to read this story again. You say these 3 ladies have worked for more than 90 years, how is that possible when they are only 63,63 and 68? What it actually says is that they have 90 years between them not they have worked for 90 years.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Tuesday September 16 2014 at 08:49
I don't think there is anything wrong with Greggs per se......

Some of the customers though. When I was last in Barnsley I saw a young mum (think about 15) feeding her kid (in a pushchair) a sausage roll. This was just after 9am. Really healthy breakfast.