Troubled Manvers Restaurant Closes

Wednesday September 3 2014

Bistro 63 Bistro 63

TROUBLED restaurant Bistro 63 has closed for business again.

Located at Onyx Business Park, off Manvers Way, it was taken over last December by chef Rhys Blessed and business partner Chris Crane.

Previous landlord Mark Perry had left under a cloud after claiming bankruptcy, with people pre-booked for Christmas Day losing their deposits.

A statement from Chris and Rhys confirmed the closure was a result of being unable to afford rent payments.

"In a nutshell the rent and rates charged on such a small unit are too high," they said.

"We applied for help with rates relief with us being a first time business but unfortunately nobody could help.

"We're still in touch with customers and are hopefully taking bookings forward.

"If that's not the case any deposits paid will be refunded as soon as possible."

They are offering to refund people but say they will accommodate bookings at new premises yet to be announced.

A post on the Bistro's Facebook site on Wednesday evening added: "We're sorry to say that Bistro 63 is no more.

"It all happened sooner than we thought so apologies for any bookings we'll miss but we have something in the pipeline for a bigger place - an offer we couldn't refuse - so watch this space."

People with bookings should email bistro63.manvers@hotmail.co.uk.

Reply Posted by BusinessWoman on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 15:46
Given the bad feeling towards the "original" Bistro 63, then maybe a change of name might have helped the launch of a new restaurant. Yes it would have been a cost for a new sign, but nothing compared to having to shut up shop!
I see too that they have had an "offer we couldn't refuse" for a "bigger place" so the cynic in me might say that this has all been very well timed. I can't comment as I have no connection to any business in the area but I wonder why the Thai Garden Café has managed to keep going and why the other units aren't continually changing hands if the rates charged on the the small units are so high??
I'd also ask if they know the difference between "rates" and "rent" as "rates" on a bigger premises are going to be higher, they are set by the Local Government. "Rent" on the other hand is a different matter, but I still make the point that the other businesses on there seem to be managing in as much as they are still there trading and also that keeping the name can't have helped. After the way they ruined my parent's Ruby Wedding Anniversary meal we haven't revisited, purely based on the name above the door.

Reply Posted by Hateitwhenimright on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:42
I am a resident near to Bistro 63, it is unfortunate when any new business has to close, especially when it means employees lose their jobs. However, the minute I saw that the original Bistro 63 was opening I predicted a short lifespan for the business, as I did when it relaunched. The reason being solely down to the lifestyle of today's society, combined with the location and the niche area that a bistro offers. It is my firm opinion that the success factor of all food outlets in this area is down to having a take away / fast food option. Agility in such a market is paramount and quite simply the bistro lacked this. Other food outlets in this area have this on their side, as will the new fish and chip shop opening soon. Success for the next business at Bistro 63 is a change of name, but more importantly a change of business structure, an Indian restaurant with take away / delivery service will do extremely well. This is only my opinion, but I would not like to see another person lose money following such a naive business structure.

Reply Posted by Notanotherexpert on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 22:49
I visited the bistro a few times and the food there was amazing, It's a shame there aren't more people like me who appreciate good food being on there doorstep, obviously the people here prefer mass produced rubbish. The only thing they failed to do was introduce people to decent food. I for one will miss it being there. And hate to read everyone's expert opinions, both comments here sound like you are experts in all things business? I agree that an Indian probably would work there as it's what everyone knows, cheap fast food. Shame really.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 23:12
Thanks for your expert opinion.

Reply Posted by jan on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 23:23
I am really disappointed to see this resturant has closed again .After reading many excellent reviews I was checking out opening times, to book for my husbands birthday, when I read details of them closing. I understood it to be, that new larger premises had been offered, not that the rent/rates were too high. I do hope that no one looses out due to this closure as they did before. I personally feel there are enough good indian/chinese/pizza/chip shops in the local area and we dont need any more. What we need are some good quality Italian/Japanease/Mexican resturants.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 23:51
I visited with my boyfriend yes im gay before any body comments, the food was ok. sad its closing

Reply Posted by Eyup sithy on Thursday September 4 2014 at 11:19
Should have brought in Gordon Ramsay to sort it out.......just saying!