Protesters Secure Meeting With Travel Bosses

Wednesday September 3 2014

Barnsley Interchange Barnsley Interchange

A BREAKTHROUGH in the six-month dispute over free rail travel for pensioners could be reached next week.

A meeting will be held on September 9 between Northern Rail, South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive and the Barnsley Retirees Action Group.

Group member Tony Nuttall says there would be little point in the rail operator and SYPTE arranging the meeting unless they had 'an offer to put on the table'.

"We are hopeful that finally people have seen sense and have realised that our group and our protests are not going to go away," he said

The so-called 'Freedom Riders' started boarding trains without tickets in March in protest at the scrapping of free travel for the elderly and disabled.

In June there was a partial climb down with free travel returned to the disabled and half-price to the elderly.

But the action group says its protests and freedom rides and marches will continue until free rail travel is provided for all pensioners and that that should include travel into West Yorkshire.

What do you think? Do you back the protests? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by mrx on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 16:36
if there boarding trains without a ticket and getting away with it everyone on the train should travel free too

Reply Posted by ?????? on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 16:38
they should make them pay something keep the half price and make them lump it every time they get caught on train without a ticket fine them £1000 they will soon stop and accept

Reply Posted by make me sick on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 16:40
if this was a group of teenagers refusing to pay on the trains, I bet arrests would be made, what next oaps walk into supermarket and fill trolley and refuse to pay, what is the difference.. PAY LIKE THE REST OF US!!!!

Reply Posted by Niki on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 16:49
At end of day this is ridiculous. My mum is a pensioner and is happy to pay half price or even full fare like the rest of us. As if free bus travel isn't enough. Should have same rights as everyone else not one rule for one and another for them.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 17:17
So Mr nuttall today had a look up regent street didn't see any of the freedom riders holding banners ect outside Mr wrights abode calling for action it appears the bored rich pensioners think it's OK to abuse kids as long as its not there's ,free rail travel storm the platform push women about injure anyone you can with an ivize jacket on,but what about Sean weight Mr nuttall can't be arsed about that Guido they didn't mess with my daughter now what were doing that's right continue terrorising the train station some disabled people are avoiding trains due to your acts of terror.

Reply Posted by ooooo on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 17:23
My son was a little short on fare the other week only had enough to station before the one he wanted he paid to that station and the conductor made him get off at that station ( may I also say it was getting dark at the time) my point is that these people get on and ride and get off for free kicking up a fuss at the same time yet some teenager is made to get off and if he'd kicked off would've been arrested at some point.. Wots the difference???

Reply Posted by Brian on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 17:27
Don't forget that the people protesting are being led by well known agitators of a left-wing persuasion.

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 18:52
But they are every passenger is subsidised to the tune of fifty-one point five pence per passenger per mile by the public purse, so you are saying that should be taken away from each and everyone of us because the pensioners are getting a little bit more the green eyed monster rears its ugly head

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 18:59
@left wing and proud answer my point you clown why aren't the freedom riders protesting outside Wright's office do you agree with me that there priorities are seriously floored abused kids or bored pensioners terrorising the train station if being a lefty means frightening disabled people away from train station while the protests are on you should hang your head in shame.

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 18:57
Brian Ieft wing and proud and a agitator and proud of that too it only takes good men to do nothing for evil to triumph

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:16
@left and proud you ain't answering the question where is the priority protest against child abuse or about a rail subsidy

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:00
@ooooo may be next time you should pin enough train fare to your child's nappies

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:10
Thanks for the clown remark Kilkenny oops I mean guido oops again bananas I will answer your question with this a English man is going to be executed by fanatics in the next couple of day while this government sits on its arse and does nothing and when millions of people die with these fanatics the government sits on its arse and does nothing and you sit in your arm chair and do nothing so who is the arse hole you or this government

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:31
I am no Kilkenny my lefty I am a man asking you again do you think its correct to terrorise the train station with a futile attempt at getting something that won't be there anyway at a future date or protesting outside Sean wrights office bout his blatant lord nelson I see no flags attitude towards the abuse of children in Rotherham a yes or no will surfice

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:20
I agree with your point above @guido

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:29
No guido I have answered the question but your a bit to thick to see it, perhaps you really should be asking why has it happened in the first place muppet. And how do you know that some of these pensioners haven't protested mind reader are we, you are trying to score points with what is a deplorable situation in Rotherham for your own ego

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:46
@brian you have just made yourself look a complete fool I know disabled people who were frightened by the trouble at the station ,as regards point scoring you are telling me that to protest about rail subsidy and expressing your feelings about that comes above protesting about a man who was in charge at Rotherham Who had an idea abuse was going on and did nothing to ignore that.

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:31
And you haven't answered my question

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:53
@lfty Brian the answer is simple you have the power to remove any government ,its called a general election you put a cross on a piece of paper ,that's how you express your disatisfaction at the people who make the world you live in.

Reply Posted by Brian on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 22:38
How can any sane person be 'left wing and proud?'

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 19:47
Guido you are no man, and I will answer your question these are two separate issues has you well so I will give you two answers calling it terrorising is not except able protesting is and some times protesting with action is a necessity with out action women would not have the vote and your not against women voting are you guido. On. The second question I am sure all of these pensioners if you would provide them with a bus would gladly take up your invitation. To go with you and protest in Rotherham and would be glad to stand shoulder to shoulder with you to condemn the vile crimes that have been committed.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 20:14
@lefty Brian I am no man sinking to the lower bowels of debate there lefty call me a liar yes you can but I repeat again some disabled people are frightened and I dare say some pensioners by the presence of large numbers of people protesting at the station if someone is scared they are being terrorised,and as regards the point of travel on a bus to Rotherham didn't know regent street was in Rotherham you learn something everyday .as regards the vote like I say if you're not happy the next time round take the time out to vote brian as regards women in politics in general there aren't enough all the tetestrone out and the women in and you probably wouldn't be hearing about a man about to be murdered in a foreign country

Reply Posted by Alfie on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 20:10
If they're so hard up how come they've had sweatshirts printed with 'Freedom Riders' on them. Whose paid for them eh? Bet they didn't come cheap!

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 20:16
Who make the world we live in omg you are so gullible guido do you really believe governments make policy

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 20:21
Scared by a bunch of pensioners can you get me some of the tablets there on because I'm creamed cracked when I'm waiting at the train station your priceless guido can't stop laughing

Reply Posted by ooooo on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 20:54
@killkenny maybe I should put a pin in your eye. Have you never accidentally spent a little more without realising you are...

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:06
I'm blind and reading Braille so how do you feel now Ooooooo@

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:30
Left wing and proud and Guido argueing??? Its impossible to understand either ones posts, have neither got punctuation keys on their keyboards? I'm glad they've found one another,god help us if they both start singing the same tune! They could change written correspondence forever...... To gobbledygook!

Reply Posted by ian on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:35
maybe both could go on the x factor.. one singing Korean and the other japanese lol

Reply Posted by Guido fakes on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:51
annon you've made me laugh there adios.note the full stop.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:55
Hey Guido, glad you took my post in the manner it was intended. Tongue in cheek.

Reply Posted by Steveo on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:46
Anon@ as you well know the English language is evolving and grammar is becoming more and more useless if you can't read any of these posts please go and fys

Reply Posted by not real above on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:49
STEVEO always, you are def an imposter.. why guido guy Kilkenny plus many more alias you fool

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday September 3 2014 at 21:53
Steveo imposter, you also have no punctuation keys! Just read your post aloud and hopefully you will turn very blue and keel over.

Reply Posted by me on Thursday September 4 2014 at 13:24
dont think paying half price fares isnt bad they should pay something it does cost money to run these services .i am a pensioner myself and would pay .

Reply Posted by leo's mummy on Saturday September 6 2014 at 00:30
They should pay like the rest of us! Us tax payers are paying to fund there free bus fares nevermind free train fares as well! So they can go have there free train rides and bus rides whenever they feel like it while the tax payers are out working to fund it! No! And the protest have no end of times woken my 10 month old child up and scared the life out of him! Not on! Selfish greedy people is all you are!!

Reply Posted by Jake on Tuesday September 9 2014 at 18:23
I pay every day to use a train at it's not cheap £10 aday NO STUDENT DISSCOUNT or anything so why should old people get it for free and you pay and you can't even get a seat for them!!!