Cinema And Big-Name Restaurants To Open In Barnsley Town Centre

Monday August 25 2014

A MULTIPLEX cinema and six 'high quality' restaurants will be built in the Alhambra.

The multi-million pound investment, made by landlords F&C Reit, will see nine screens installed.

Giant plasma screens on the outside of the centre at the Sheffield Road entrance will also be fitted to advertise cinema listings and the centre's retailers.

With work set to start in April next year, the exciting news comes as plans for the town's £41 million regeneration begin to take shape.

Spencer Gower, from F&C Reit, said: "It will bring a much-needed leisure hub to Barnsley and confirms our belief and commitment to the town centre.

"We want to make it a destination that brings people in from the surrounding areas which will also benefit the local economy."

Sir Steve Houghton, council leader, said he was delighted by the news and hopeful the scheme will play an important part in helping boost the town centre.

"I welcome this investment in Barnsley," he said. "It is the first of what we hope will be a number of private sector investments in Barnsley following on from the council's own regeneration plans."

What do you think? Are you excited about the plans? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 12:09
Nice to see a cinema being built where a wheelchair user will not feel disadvantaged,but on a negative point I don't like the design of it can't we have various designs and let the people of Barnsley pick what they want,it looks like the Alhambra and that's not very pleasing to the eye either.

Reply Posted by murk on Monday August 25 2014 at 12:32
Have you read and fully understood the article? It doesn't 'look like' the Alhambra, it is in the Alhambra.
Also, no you can't pick the design, it's a private company so there's no obligation to provide you with a choice.
Finally, the current cinema in town was built before we had to build everything to suit everybody. It hasn't been done to make a wheelchair user 'feel disadvantaged' it's just an old building.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 16:54
To suit everybody what does that mean everybody isn't someone in a wheelchair not just everybody,it contrivens every disabled law going can't go upstairs can't use the toilets luckily meadowhall doesn't think in this way.

Reply Posted by worsbrough on Monday August 25 2014 at 14:29
Yes but how long will it take to be cancelled like anything else and more reason to tax us more and abet the prices will be sky high more expensive than any other cinema cos barnsley is the town for money grabbing dumolings

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:02
Leo neo google him that's the bloke behind r&c REIT 70th ranked wealthiest bloke in Britain if there isn't money to be made he wouldn't invest in it.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:08
@guido forgot to say please please can he buy Barnsley football club.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:09
it would help if we could understand what you have wrote, you RETARD

Reply Posted by Dave on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 12:07
You're a glass half empty person aren't you Worsbrough?

Reply Posted by cal on Monday August 25 2014 at 15:52
Looks good to me, lots of bars and nice places to eat close by too with Grille, Chilli and Pinocchios. Plus the new places it will be a benefit to Barnsley.

Well done F&C

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday August 25 2014 at 15:58
Worsborough, what are you on about ?
Private investment in any town can only be a positive thing. It can only lead to better town centre. Hopefully people with your attitude will keep away, and let the rest of it enjoy it.

Reply Posted by Local resident on Monday August 25 2014 at 16:09
This is good news, and it will no doubt boost local property prices. Being able to buy my nearby council property at a massive discount, I can now get rich off of it rising in value without having to do anything, house price inflation is great, it's a win win for me and other property owners. And best of all, no tax to pay on the capital gains.

My property is probably earning more than me, when I come to think of it, it makes me wonder why I have to pay income tax for doing something productive, yet I don't have to pay any tax when my property goes up in value due to the hard work and investments of others. It's a strange world. Glad I got on the property ladder with a 0% deposit before the government started help to buy and made house prices boom, I don't have to pay half my income in rent to the council anymore, and I get free money as my property rises in value due to the public and private investment in the town.

Reply Posted by Fiddler on Monday August 25 2014 at 16:50
100% agree local resident. I bought my home on benefits.. happy days when the price goes through the roof.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:11
@local resident don't like to burst the ballon but when interest rates go up the market will be flooded house prices will fall you have been warned

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:14
guido@ how on earth can you lose, when I paid 11k for home and now it is valued at todays rates at 89k.. WIN WIN WIN You deluded fool you have been warned.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:23
Dear Lauren that attitude towards the social housing ect has given you the Barnsley you have deluded fool no just someone let down by prior governments who gave the social housing away.said this before on here say 6000 council houses sold of you loose at a guess 70.00 a week rent per household .bmbc up the preverbeal without a paddle

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:29
learn to spell you deluded Richard head..

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:34
well said lauren.. my 5 yr old writes better.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:36
Here here- he has more alias , but the big giveaway his the fools Grammer.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:41
Who are we today let me think Lauren guy Fawkes Kilkenny sid steveo Guido Fawkes haven't you twigged on your not wanted on here and its about time w a b blocked you on here you kill all serious debate with your deliberate foul mouthed posts

Reply Posted by killkenny on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:51
His or is you clown go away and stop posting on here

Reply Posted by willy on Monday August 25 2014 at 17:57
excellent news for the Barnsley public. hopefully more jobs for local people. WAB get rid of the guido fawkes has he should be made to take some lessons in English has all his post are a disgrace, unless this his somebody under 5 yrs old and I do sincerely apologize.

Reply Posted by Kilkenny willy on Monday August 25 2014 at 18:05
Another post name you deluded fool

Reply Posted by Dave on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 12:11
That's grammar I think you'll find!

Reply Posted by cal on Monday August 25 2014 at 16:19
Erm ok Mr Local Resident.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday August 25 2014 at 18:52
Hope this works out, I went to the Wakefield flix a couple of weeks ago. It was empty? It was also very expensive, in fact as a non regular,I was shocked at the cost,its a considered night out these days. I won't be going again in a hurry,even though I enjoyed it. Do we have a cinema in town? Not sure? And if so is it doing well with footfall? Plus,I reckon spending money on a large new market is a mistake and will prove to be so, just like Wakefield's. Don't know who,s idea that is. Hope I'm wrong though,I want Barnsley to thrive for all our sakes.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 20:20
@anon I agree if the make the price right it will be nice for Barnsley to poach the revenue of Wakefield meadowhall cineworld the pictures we have now are outdated and are well past there expiry date how ever they have plugged a gap it is either the parkway or pennistone paramount , I would like to add some of the food outlets will probably shut when and if this opens

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday August 25 2014 at 19:43
@lauren
. For your information you have not 'Won won won'. Your house may have gone up in value but so has everyone ones else's i.e the house you want to buy. So unless you sell up and go live in a box you have actually 'lost lost lost'. It's an economic fact that only down sizers win in a raising market. But I don't expect a simpleton to understand that so indeed you are the deluded fool. But at least we can go to an nice new cinema !!!!

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 19:54
Fred well said she also hasn't figured out that the average wage earner in Barnsley and with no sign of job security for any job today who the hell is going to be able to afford 90,000 me thinketh they have all been taken for a ride once tried to explain the meaning of the word mortgage its origins are French and roughly translated to English reads as death pledge sums the housing market up unless your in the south but like you say Fred your house goes up so does the other one .

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 25 2014 at 20:00
make your mind up Fred

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday August 25 2014 at 20:36
As previously stated... Simpleton. It's an economic fact.

Reply Posted by Hariot on Monday August 25 2014 at 19:51
great news for Barnsley , Fred stick to the topic in question, you only make yourself look the loser loser loser

Reply Posted by Hahaha on Monday August 25 2014 at 19:52
No, just Richard.

Reply Posted by Matt on Monday August 25 2014 at 20:04
This thread seems to have veered off into an alternative reality.

Back on topic, this is excellent news and a real boost for the town. It's heartening to see a private company making a significant investment.

It was a pity when the council had to ditch its plans for a multiplex cinema and restaurant area in the Metropolitan Centre. Fortunately the private sector has plugged the gap.

Congratulations all round, but it does mean the alhambra car park will be smaller. When Barnsley turns into Las Vegas, Paris and Meadowhall all rolled into one we'll need more parking.

Reply Posted by worsbrough on Monday August 25 2014 at 23:32
@fred people like me should keep away I think I would the town is full of smack heads and scruffs and any private investment is still stupid prices still going to be sky high parking will become more dearer and maybe just maybe they might actually finish something they build FRED YOU BELL END

Reply Posted by Only me on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 08:27
Lets face it, Barnsley needs more jobs and thats exactly what will be created (if it goes ahead that is!). However, I think more needs to be done for older kids. Theres nothing for them. My 12 year old goes out with her mates and they just wonder about or doss on the swings at the park cos theres nowt else for them to do. Yes a cinema is one thing but we need something to get them off the streets. More youth groups or something. I doubt they will go to the pictures every night of the week and i certainly cant afford to give my 12 year old money everyday although I am working.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 09:52
To the comment further up, yes we do have a cinema in town it's called Parkway Cinema and yes we do very well, and I agree there are going to be more opportunities for jobs but a few of us might also lose ours. I really don't think a big money grabbing multiplex will do well in little old Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Terry on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 11:51
Believe it when I see it

Reply Posted by Cells on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 12:34
I think any kind of entertainment complex would be good for Barnsley, as unless you just like to drink and eat we are limited to any other choices. Although I feel really bad for the Parkway Cinema who rescued the old cinema at personal cost to provide one source of entertainment for people in Barnsley to now potentially face unfair competition. I know business is dog eat dog, all competition is good, but really?!! The one source of entertainment there IS in Barnsley and they choose that one to duplicate in greater number?!! Oh and what's the plans for all the shops within the Alhambra at present?

Reply Posted by Cells on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 12:41
Only Me - I totally agree with your comment re: youth clubs/centres. I have said for years that these are needed to get young people off the streets and give them a safe place to go with some kind of activity they can get involved in and feel a part of a team.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 12:49
It seems to me that the multiplex is our only choice. It looks as if the big retail stores are not about to put trade in town,they are in the retail parks so why would they bother really?

Reply Posted by cal on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 13:18
Let’s face it we need a big cinema. Although the Parkway one is good for some. I still travel to Sheffield as I prefer the bigger screens, better seats and more options.

And regarding youth clubs, I’m not sure why the owner of a shopping center would build a youth club.

But there is plenty around for youths to do if you look. From boxing clubs, footballs clubs to local youth clubs. You just need to look into them.

I’m all for development as I go often and can’t speak for everyone I’m sure there are loads who make the trip to Wakefield, Sheffield or wherever to watch a movie.

If money is the reason you don’t go you can get a card for Cineworld for around £14 a month to go how often as you like which I have done in the past.

Reply Posted by John the boss on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 17:37
Let them get on with it. The town end wallows will be the first to benefit

Reply Posted by liz on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 17:50
I agree about the need for youth clubs and groups, but the only way to have them is for the people who want them to get together and create them. There are many church halls in Barnsley which are unused most of the time. Go see the priest or vicar and arrange the use of them. You have all the technology available to provide the music, movies or games. All you need is adults who are willing to give some of their time to organise and supervise.

Reply Posted by jo jo on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 20:52
Seems like a good idea to me, however, any entertainment venue that opens up at that end of town seems to close within the first two years (zero ice, bowling/bingo).
Also, looking at the plans, it seems to be on the site currently being used by Wilkinson- are they relocating or closing down? Seems to me there are more questions than answers at the moment.

Reply Posted by Bekki Luke on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 21:36
We already have a cinema in Barnsley. Waste of money I think because it will end up being expensive to cover cost of the build. We shall see how it goes I suppose. X

Reply Posted by Cal on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 13:10
Maybe but it’s a small one, with not many options and not as good as the Cineworld in Sheffield, as good as Vue in Meadowhall maybe but the options are shocking.

You want a pick a time you want to watch a movie in a big comfortable giant screen. In Parkway you get cramped conditions, they tell you when the film is on which is once a day and the screen and audio is not as good.

A multi-screen cinema is needed. People who don’t go to the cinema will claim it’s a waste of money.

But why complain? It’s not coming out the taxpayer’s expense, its private investment so why moan. It’s a good thing, creates jobs, stops people like me who go to Sheffield every week to eat and watch a movie. Helps us spend our money in our own town.

Not sure what there is to complain about.

Reply Posted by ? on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 21:57
Just learnt tk maxx opening at corton wood, will this be another store in area or is the alhambra store closing due to the cinema work?

Reply Posted by Julie on Tuesday August 26 2014 at 23:22
What about deaf people about cinema need subtitle ????

Reply Posted by Wolf head on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 13:28
Do think its funny when people complain on a story like this about lack of youth clubs. Not sure why its an applicable comment on a story about private investment to a shopping center the company owns.

I’ll tell you what, that new garage or extension to you house you are on about building, don’t bother. We need youth clubs. The cost will help sort out a youth club won’t it.

Enough youth clubs if you look into it. Young boys can get into football or boxing easily enough. There are enough clubs for sport knocking around too.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 16:24
I don't understand why people are complaining, surely this is a step forward in the regeneration of the town?

I actually went into town last week and ate at the new Burger place which was good.

There are also rumours of the Grill Pit coming to town.

Exactly what the town needs and a hell of a lot more.

Reply Posted by Hoyland Red on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 17:09
Grill pit will be in the old Yates bar opposite the new town hall gardens. Should be open soon as work is progressing quickly.

Reply Posted by cal on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 17:08
Grillpit is indeed opening in the coming weeks I presume.

They are hard at work in the old Yates bar and it looks close to completion.

A lot of nice places to eat. Latino's which was above Lazy Pasta (Old Lucorum) has moved to Peel Square too and have changed the name to Lemon Tree, not sure why as some who like Latinos from outside of Barnsley won't know about that.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 18:36
What the Hecks the grillpit? Lol

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 19:31
sid it is where guido lives .. the guidopit

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 18:52
Sid its a meat eating restaurant burgers ect it originates from Wakefield and what I like about this idea is that its family oriented they also have a Trinidad chilli challenge saw it on youtube,have a look.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 19:33
Thanks for that @guido,I was connecting it with the flix...fleapit ! Haha. I need to get out more methinks!
To be honest,that's not my thing,burgers, its Italian all the way for me when I eat out,so fingers crossed we,all get a nice one.
I will check out YouTube mind you. Thanks.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 19:49
no worries sid@ I to need to get out more. visit the place at wakefield now and again after seeing the girls in wildcats,, naughty me

Reply Posted by killkenny on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 19:58
How's it going kid have you had a busy weekend again bet thee backs covered in blisters ,

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 20:41
Wildcats?? See what I mean? No idea mate. Haha.

Reply Posted by Graham Nicholson on Sunday August 31 2014 at 17:59
Its idea it will fetch more money into the town i love the plans

Reply Posted by Monk Brettob on Sunday October 19 2014 at 16:31
I like the Idea, but really I think Parkway may win the war because they are cheaper, much cheaper.

Reply Posted by Chris on Wednesday November 26 2014 at 07:37
I live in Sheffield and I have been coming to the cinema on Eldon Street for 40 years, as the atmosphere of an old style cinema is important to me. My children have gone there and now my grandchildren and we love it. At 6.00 for an adult (compare that to Cineworld or Odeon prices) I think the seating, especially upstairs is spaced out and comfortable and the sound is okay for most people. I have no objections for a new cinema complex and good luck to them but I shall continue to come to Parkway for as long as it stays open and I am 63 now. Good luck to Parkway and to the new venture. I hope it turns out great for Barnsley which I am sure it will be.