Thousands Of Residents Face Struggle To See GP

Thursday August 21 2014

Michael Dugher MP Michael Dugher MP

SHOCKING new figures from an official NHS survey have revealed that more than 30,000 people in Barnsley have had to wait more than a week to see a GP in the past year.

Across the area covered by Barnsley Clinical Commissioning Group, around one in seven people said they were forced to wait at least seven days when they phoned for an appointmen.

The annual NHS England survey also revealed that local patients struggle to see the family doctor of their own choosing.

Across the local region, 41 per cent - or 46,169 people - who have a preferred GP had to see another doctor when they last went to their surgery.

Michael Dugher, MP for Barnsley East, said:
"Ministers need to take full responsibility and explain to the people of Barnsley why they have to wait longer to get an appointment with their doctor.

"I'm backing plans which would see patients guaranteed an appointment within 48 hours or an appointment on the same day for those who need it.

"This commitment would make a massive difference to the lives of people in Barnsley."

Reply Posted by Ged on Thursday August 21 2014 at 19:27
I'm one of these statistics, I had to wait over a week (for a non-urgent appointment) ONCE, where's the problem in that. The other 15 or so appointments were all within a day or two. The bigger problem is folk failing to attend without reason.

Reply Posted by Cosmic clown on Thursday August 21 2014 at 20:18
I had to wait over three days for an appointment the receptionist asked doctor Who I said no the ordinary one please

Reply Posted by Annoyed on Friday August 22 2014 at 14:52
It's a pain when you can't get an appointment for two/three weeks like they've been suggesting at Oaks park in Kendray!

So, you want me to come back when I'm dead or better!?
What's the point!?
We cannot schedule when we are going to be ill.

I can't even get an appointment to be told results from smear testing etc even though I've previously been treated for abnormal and possibly cancerous cells.
Yeah, great- I'll sit here for three weeks until it suits you!

Reply Posted by Carly on Friday August 22 2014 at 17:51
Yep.... Called Monday the 18th just gone and advised of appointment a week on Wednesday.... Disgusting!!

Reply Posted by rainbow on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:38
LABOUR'S open door policy on immigration has not helped the NHS, There's no wonder our public services are being overwhelmed the damage Labour did will take years to rectify. Britain may never be the same again.?????

Reply Posted by fat cat boss on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:58
Hey what about me carabean home me yacht me six mistresses me home in London and me private jet are you trying to make me choke on me beluga caviar.

Reply Posted by ian on Friday August 22 2014 at 20:32
carabean is that some sort of slimming bean, or did you mean caribbean

Reply Posted by Guy Fawkes on Friday August 22 2014 at 21:56
Rainbow@ there you go pulling your political plonker when people are waiting up to three week for an appointment that should take at the most eight hours some of these delayed appointments could cost lives and what do you do make a political issue out off it you Richard head

Reply Posted by killkenny on Friday August 22 2014 at 22:18
Get off thee high horse the point rainbow is making is valid the NHS schools can't cope with the migrant influx there's nowt racist its just facts you wouldn't invite 200 round for there Sunday dinner would you because you couldn't cope.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday August 22 2014 at 22:40
Thousands of residents should read thousands of GPS are emigrating we in this country have stood by and watched the NHS being used as a weapon each party blaming the other for its faults and using it to point score sad that such a wonderful thing should be treated in such a way

Reply Posted by Guido Fawkes on Saturday August 23 2014 at 08:56
Killkenny@ high horse what the hell are you on abart I haven't even got a pony doooooooe

Reply Posted by rainbow on Saturday August 23 2014 at 09:33
Guy Fawkes you say I'm turning this into a political issue, well yes your dead right. Look who started this post none other than Michael Dugher MP I suppose he's not trying to score some political points over this.?? As for you if can't argue your case without making derogatory personal statements about me proves what I think about the Labour Party, 'were always right you plebs just do as we say', and then look at the state this country is in now thanks to 13 years of miss-rule.!

Reply Posted by miss whiplash on Saturday August 23 2014 at 17:20
That miss rule Is that a dominatrix .

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Saturday August 23 2014 at 14:16
@rainbow typical con voter while the n.h.s is being privatised by the back door and staff shortage through out the n.h.s you decide to blame a labour government that doesn't exist as yet Staffordshire n.h.s comes to mind you and yours put the cuts into place now live or don't with the consequence and start to look nearer to your own party for the blame

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Saturday August 23 2014 at 14:53
Yer rainbow your posts and your torie party are like homeopathy well diluted and nowt in it

Reply Posted by rainbow on Sunday August 24 2014 at 05:42
There you go again, start losing the arguement so start calling me a Tory, but the fact is it was the Labour Party that began privatisation in the NHS, yes good old (loads a money Tory Bliar} I'm no Tory but neither is the Labour party true to its working class roots. Look at our own MP.s neither of em has had a proper job in their lives, a pair of publicity seeking cardboard cutouts parachuted into Barnsley because they know that you can stick a red rosette on a chimpanzee and they'll vote for it in this town which is why the place never gets any investment, look at Sheffield by comparison thats been rebuilt while were still waiting for our new town. Suck on that.?

Reply Posted by Annymous on Sunday August 24 2014 at 08:11
At our surgery you can get an appointment if you log onto their on-line system at 8am. Limited slots available, but I have never failed to get one when needed. I do feel however that better planning in surgeries is needed to meet demands/longer opening hours. I also feel as a nation we could help ourselves more in living a healthier lifestyle. How often do we see people who have been to see a GP with breathing problems then they go outside for cig? Or problems with joints hurting and they are obviously overweight. A GP does have a duty of care, but we also have a duty of care to ourselves.

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Sunday August 24 2014 at 10:42
Rainbow@ and what do you call a labour MP who served in the armed forces in Afghanistan and put his life at risk O yes you said not a proper job I am proud to vote labour I am proud of my town and if you don't like it move there's a lot worse places to live if you don't like this council you know the old adage if you don't put up shut up so may I say if you don't like this council stand against them

Reply Posted by Red. Optimist on Sunday August 24 2014 at 10:46
Yer I would vote for the monkey before I would vote for the Tories

Reply Posted by eh? on Sunday August 24 2014 at 15:56
Look at Sheffield?! rebuilt? are you on drugs ?

Reply Posted by brent pickering on Monday August 25 2014 at 11:16
In the past 6/8 months i have had to wait 2 weeks and more for apointments with doctors. I wad told several times to call the surgery at 8 for same day apointments but the phones are always jammed and never able to get through till all apointments are filled.