Warning Issued After Myxomatosis Cases

Thursday August 21 2014

A WARNING has been issued to rabbit owners following reports of myxomatosis.

Animal charity MyxomatosisNow sent out a tweet to its followers last week, warning about cases of rabbits with the fatal disease in Barnsley.

It said: "Infected rabbits with myxomatosis in Brierley, South Yorkshire. Please take ill ones to the vet and vaccinate pet rabbits."

A spokesman for the RSPCA said: "Myxomatosis is a virus spread by fleas, mites and biting flies.

"The early symptoms include puffy swellings around face, ears and eyes which can cause blindness. This swelling then spreads in the later stages.

"Rabbits will also suffer from a high fever and eating and drinking will become increasingly difficult. Death is usually within ten to 14 days.

"The best way to protect your rabbit is to take it for regular boosters which make it harder for them to become ill."

Reply Posted by killkenny on Friday August 22 2014 at 13:42
Does this mean I can't eat rabbit.

Reply Posted by Natalie on Friday August 22 2014 at 22:14
Does this mean your a heartless pig? Actually don't answer that we already know the answer !!

Some people have pet bunnies and are genuinely concerned so keep your unfunny comments to yourself.

Reply Posted by Steveo on Saturday August 23 2014 at 15:25
Kilkenny yep you can't eat rabbit if its got mixy but you can always turn cannibal they say rats nice when cooked slow

Reply Posted by killkenny on Saturday August 23 2014 at 17:13
Clever that steveo what abart dog it s ovely we onion get ta Thailand

Reply Posted by Liz on Sunday August 24 2014 at 14:09
Well said Natalie pig is too nice a word to use for those comments made by Kilkenny nasty person

Reply Posted by Beth on Sunday August 24 2014 at 19:11
Me and my mum found a rabbit with myxomatosis on Warren Lane in the Staincross/Mapplewell area (on our way to Wakefield). Weren't entirely aware of what was wrong with it other than it didn't seem phased by the cars passing it, and didn't seem all that bothered when I tried to move it out of the way. In the end, I picked it up, wrapped it up in my jumper and took it through to the vets where they confirmed myxomatosis. Since I've got rabbits of my own I'm glad I went through cause I then knew about the disease being relatively local - bearing in mind I live in Darton. Booked them in a week later at Vets4Pets Barnsley (the same place we took the wild rabbit), and got both rabbits vaccinated for £30 each. Quick easy and cheap and now they've got protection from a few things as well as myxo.

Reply Posted by Angie on Sunday August 24 2014 at 19:44
We had a baby rabbit in our garden with mixy last week and we live near wombwell so please be aware wherever you live.

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Sunday August 24 2014 at 20:02
how do you know if your rabbit has mixy ?

will have have more toes than normal.

Reply Posted by dave viz on Monday August 25 2014 at 14:40
I saw the rabbits on the Stairfoot roundabout on Saturday morning and noticed one of them was looking sick and had swelling round the eyes possible mixy?