Woman Speaks Out After Rescuing Boy From River

Thursday August 21 2014

A GROUP "stood and watched" as a boy was drowning in the water - according to the woman who dove in and tried to save him.

The nine-year-old had got into difficulty in the River Dearne at Hoyle Mill when Louise Bennett was passing on her horse.

She said there were seven or eight people watching - but none of them did anything to help the boy.

Louise, 40, from Monk Bretton, said: "I took my top and jacket off and went into the water. It was freezing. I couldn't breathe it was so cold but I just kept thinking 'stay calm' and focused on the little boy.

"There were a group of young lads just stood watching. I was disgusted."

Louise and another woman performed CPR on the boy when she managed to get him to the river bank.

The boy was taken to Sheffield Children's Hospital, where he remains.

Reply Posted by bub on Thursday August 21 2014 at 15:16
Well done louise putting you own life at risk to rescue the young boy xx

Reply Posted by bfg on Thursday August 21 2014 at 15:24
Well done but first rule of first aid is don't become a casualty yourself. But in these situations instinct takes over.

Reply Posted by Ash Clark on Thursday August 21 2014 at 16:00
THERE IS SOME DECENT PEOPLE AROUND!!!

WELL DONE LOUISE, thinking of others first!

Reply Posted by me on Thursday August 21 2014 at 16:56
Am not been funny but the young lad shouldnt have gone in the water all kids r warned of the dangers in schools plus what was a lad of nine doing down on a river on his own anyway but u dont hear of the parents been pulled to bits for letting him there unatended do u get a grip lot of u yes i do hope the boy gets well soon but think how the others r feeling

Reply Posted by @ me on Thursday August 21 2014 at 18:06
i totally agree with me a 9 year old sudt b down fields on his own at al that is a disgrace hope the parents are proud for lettim him go down there on his own i wudt dare. hope hes better but next time keep a eye on where he goes

Reply Posted by oooo on Thursday August 21 2014 at 18:14
Agree with the comments made, but not nice to say but he was lucky people or person about to rescue him.

Kids go anywhere and everywhere these days so not always possible to keep track of them. All we can do is try to educate them...

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday August 21 2014 at 19:09
Well done Louise!! Shame on those stood watching! They should hang their heads in shame.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday August 21 2014 at 19:09

Reply Posted by tc on Thursday August 21 2014 at 21:21
Hope the little lad recovers well n learns from this but I dont agree with the comments made towards his parents saying they shouldn't do this shouldn't do that. I suppose all of you know exactly what your kid is doing all the time xos I can guarantee you don't. When I was younger I was up to all sorts jumping in res down worsbro n stuff like that, my mum didn't know I was doing it n she'd have probably killed me if she did. Kids are kids they will do what they want when they want and it will never change so dont bang on about his parents being to blame for this cos im sure they having a tough time as it is.

Reply Posted by mmmmm on Friday August 22 2014 at 01:47
In past experience the more you tell kids not to do something they are more likely to go and do it...

Well done to the woman shame on those watching..what if it had turned out different how they would be feeling now..

Get well soon young man....

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Friday August 22 2014 at 08:13
Well done Louise, keeping calm under pressure and doing a great job rescuing the young lad.
Hope the young lad makes a full recovery.

Reply Posted by bananas on Friday August 22 2014 at 09:52
all our local swimming baths av shut. new schools av been built without swimming pools. they would sooner teach kids about religion than learn them r to swim. so maybe those that was watching couldn't swim. just saying like. and well done louise, and get well youngen.

Reply Posted by mmmmm on Friday August 22 2014 at 12:57
Just read in paper little lad still in hospital in a bad way...

Come on young'un you can get through this..

To his parents its easy to say but stay strong..

Reply Posted by Sandra on Sunday August 24 2014 at 13:45
Hope the little chap gets well soon, but this lady was NOT the only one that helped him

Reply Posted by didlidoink on Sunday August 24 2014 at 16:05
Hope the lad ok. But it says the people watching were young lads so they could have been not much older than lad in river so you can't blame them for not helping. We don't know all facts so don't judge so fast

Reply Posted by anon on Sunday August 24 2014 at 22:49
Just wanted to say that my brother in law was there fishing at this lady was nowhere near the little boy so I dunt understand why she's saying that she saved him must enjoy the spotlight.

Reply Posted by Amy on Monday August 25 2014 at 10:05
Thus it totally wrong. My friend was getting undressed to get in to save to save the boy but wasn't in time before this lady jumped in. She didn't give him cpr at all its a load of ****. Yes happy he's okay but don't understand why people bullshit about things like this