New Seating To Be Installed In Town Centre

Tuesday August 19 2014

A NUMBER of tables and chairs will be installed in the town centre in time for the bank holiday weekend.

Fourteen sets will temporarily replace the seating which has been removed as part of the town centre redevelopment scheme.

The coral-coloured equipment will be branded with #BetterBarnsley and a QR code linking to the ambitious development plans for the borough.

"We have listened to people’s requests for seating in the town centre during this exciting period of redevelopment," said Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for place.

"We hope that these new tables and chairs will provide a comfortable place for visitors and shoppers to take a rest."

Eight new benches, similar to the ones currently outside Experience Barnsley museum, will be placed among newly-created open market stalls, which are due to be completed by the end of October.

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Tuesday August 19 2014 at 17:50
Really hope there will be designated smoking and none smoking, just to be fair.

Reply Posted by murk on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 11:51
Why?
There's no designated smoking and non-smoking in outdoor public areas usually.
If you don't want to sit next to a smoker ask them to stop or relocate (politely of course) or move yourself.

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday August 19 2014 at 21:25
"We have listened to people’s requests for seating in the town centre during this exciting period of redevelopment," said **** Roy Miller,

He never listens to anyone.

Reply Posted by Liz on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 12:04
Agreed! Nor do any of them.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday August 19 2014 at 22:12
Why has Mr.miller listened to this request yet not the bins requests. Mine had maggots in it this week and I pay for it cleaning after its emptied. I wish he would listen a bit more.

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 15:44
I really do not want to breathe in smoke from cigs, there is enough polution, it's horrible!

Reply Posted by me! on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 18:10
4ft11andshrinking no one is making you breathe in cigarette smoke. Your quite capable for moving or choosing not to sit near a smoke. If it bothers you that much go sit inside and stop whinging. #satheresmokingwhiletyping

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 18:57
Nothing to Bragg about @me! Can't even put the fag down long enough to post a 4 line comment. Fags stink and so do smokers! Its true.

Reply Posted by guido fawkes on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 18:57
me@ I bet your clothes stink and your breathe, you choose to smoke now smoke in your own company and not in public, scruffy tar fingers..

Reply Posted by Not amused on Wednesday August 20 2014 at 19:00
Having lived in Barnsley all my life I'm ashamed to walk through it never mind sit down in it utter shambles from the council

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Thursday August 21 2014 at 08:14
Thanks anon, you read my mind:)

Reply Posted by me! on Thursday August 21 2014 at 10:59
I was taking the p*ss.
Im not a smoker. I just don't go judging other people that choose to smoke. They have their own mind. I would just not sit next to someone smoking if it bothered me. But I doesnt.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday August 21 2014 at 11:39
me@ the most valid point you have missed, people can smoke has much has there want as long as there smoke in there own environment and not smoke were other people who choose not to smoke are, dam right filthy habit and I don't want my kids breathing the smoke when sadly an ignorant smoker sits next to us when we are in town, IDIOT

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday August 21 2014 at 13:49
Its almost impossible to find a spot where cig smoke cant be smelt in town. The centre wreakes of it, and this, in a town with mass unemploment. Benefits being squandered.

Reply Posted by me! on Thursday August 21 2014 at 20:48
If I was already sat down and someone came and sat next to me and started smoking (personally I dont really care I have better things to moan about) I would ask them to move away or I would personally move. People have a right to smoke. They are not inside where it is illegal. They arent in a pub or anywhere else. They are outside where smoking is permitted. Think you all need to find a hobby or something because you have too much time on ya hands to complain about people smoking OUTSDIE :-/

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday August 21 2014 at 21:19
It would be better if there were separate areas. Its a ballache when you get settled with the shopping,get the sarnies and drinks out for yourself and the kids,all sorted and midway through someone lights up a stinking fag. You have to pack up up,withkids squealing and stuff. Grrrr! And you @me,I,d like to be there when you ask someone to move! YYeah! Like they're going to listen to you. Separate seating would be great,everyone's happy.

Reply Posted by me! on Wednesday August 27 2014 at 09:48
Seperate seating? Yea add more pointless cost that everyone is whining about anyway. Grow up ya childish and need tp get a grip.