Feast Week Exhibition Comes To Town Hall Museum

Friday August 15 2014

A SMALL exhibition at Experience Barnsley on Saturday will relive people's memories of Barnsley Feast Week.

The week saw most of the town’s industries shut down and families in their hundreds travelled to Blackpool.

Celebrate events of days gone by at the museum from 10am to 4pm.

Do you have any memories of Barnsley Feast Week?

Reply Posted by Margaret on Saturday August 16 2014 at 13:57
Corrr standing at the station with me little card tied on to my clothes with my name and the working mans club my dad belonged to with at least sixty other snot nosed kids all waiting for the train to take us to cleathorpes happy days

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Sunday August 17 2014 at 18:52
Dear Margaret looks like only me and you want away on hols.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Saturday August 16 2014 at 18:44
Queuing to watch its a knockout then me dad found out you had to pay we had been there hours he just did an about turn and we were of,me brother getting lost and finding him back at the lodge watching the fugitive. Then me sat in a dalek sixpence to have a go never did get a sixpence those were the days at Blackpool.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Saturday August 16 2014 at 18:53
Oh forgot the tower circus a can still smell those elephants,and sliding about in the ballroom.

Reply Posted by julie on Sunday August 17 2014 at 21:01
we used to go to skeggy in a caravan every time you moved earwigs came of shelfs

Reply Posted by chris: on Sunday August 17 2014 at 21:58
I remember, as a teenager going to Blackpool at Feast Week. Walking through Blackpool was just like walking through the middle of Barnsley, you knew most of the people there.

Many a romance was started in Blackpool, everyone from Barnsley seemed to finish up in the same places. Watching the Barnsley lads play football on the sands, ‘bopping’ on the pier in your rollers covered with a headscarf............No hairdryers then and the hair had to look good for the night time. Having a quick one in the Tower Lounge and bopping in the Winter Gardens.

If you didn’t manage to get away, there was always the fair (feast), which took up most of the town centre at Feast week. It covered both sides of Kendray Street from May Day Green and Eldon Street to the bus station and Jumble lane crossing. No market stalls, they must have taken their holiday then. People came from miles around, what an atmosphere.

As kids we were taken by Mam and Dad, we went dressed up to the nines. I remember one year going in my Whitsuntide frock (which my mother had made). Myself and my brother had a go on the ‘what the butler saw’ thingy and I finished up getting oil all down the front of my yellow organza dress from the turning handle ........my brother’s fault, it was his idea. My mother wasn’t too impressed. ‘You shouldn’t have been on that thing anyway’.......bless her.

Those were the days.

...............so there you go Guy, my memories of Barnsley Feast Week.