Service Launched To Help Town's Struggling Mums

Friday August 15 2014

A NEW service has been launched to help struggling mums in Barnsley.

Baby Basics Barnsley has been set up by The Salvation Army, Cortonwood, to help people who are struggling to provide for their children.

The service will provide expectant mothers with a moses basket stocked with essential items such as nappies, clothing, baby wipes, bibs, bedding and toiletries for mum and baby.

Sandra Newman, matron for community midwifery at Barnsley Hospital, said: "The new service is a brilliant idea and is fully supported by our community midwife team.

"The baskets offer a lifeline for parents who would otherwise struggle to provide their new baby with the essential items every baby needs."

If you would like to donate items, contact The Salvation Army in Cortonwood. Alternatively, items can be given to Sandra at the hospital.

Reply Posted by m on Friday August 15 2014 at 15:00
How do you access this fab idea x

Reply Posted by timmy on Friday August 15 2014 at 15:48
Just walk into doll office and tell them your 16 and pregnant and theyll deliver to your door X

Reply Posted by timmy on Friday August 15 2014 at 16:24
I couldnt agree more unless someone was a victim to rape in which case i say give them as much as you can but dont take the p*ss

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 15 2014 at 16:45
Well,I reckon if its set up by the salvation army, and backed by the midwifes,its obviously needed. The sally army's money must be spread thinly far and wide,so to me that says its been seen as necessary. When the money is being sent overseas there's a public outcry,now these criticism. Its fantastic I say,and before anyone jumps on me,no,me and mine won't be needing it.....thank god.

Reply Posted by timmy on Friday August 15 2014 at 17:05
I'll jump on you anon :) haha

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 15 2014 at 17:10
Ooooer! Its Timmy time:-)

Reply Posted by timmy on Friday August 15 2014 at 17:14
YAY! Timmy's gonna get some haha

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 15 2014 at 17:51
Ermmmm,hope your not Timmy mallet?? Wakaday!!!

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Friday August 15 2014 at 20:07
many years ago these packs where given to every mother free gratis bar in the Moses basket it was away of firms advertising there product and now with the help of the Sally Ann many baby's will have the same benefits and is fully supported by the midwifery what a brill idea and has for timmy jumping on anyone I would recommend him joining a flea circus

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 15 2014 at 20:10
Oooer,you are old Oliver to remember that. Poor Timmy,he only wants to jump! :-)

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Friday August 15 2014 at 20:42
May I recommend Blackpool tower anon

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 15 2014 at 21:07
Oliver! You dry bugger! :-) :-) med me laff that un.

Reply Posted by livvy on Saturday August 16 2014 at 16:43
I think its a half n half idea. Its great that mothers to be who may not b able to afford everything get help due to there "personal curcumstances" but on the other hand the greedy people that will take advantage of this kind gesture will probably out number the ones in genuine need.

Reply Posted by kate on Sunday August 17 2014 at 09:22
i dt think its a good idea they get money off dole to buy al stuff they need if they ct affotd kids they sudt have em only have kids to get more benifit n then cant look after em if u want kids go out n work then think of havin kids when u can provide for em urself instead of getin milk tokons n everything else for free if u cant provide dt lay on ur bk n keep ya legs shut. al smack head mums wil get em n sell em on anyway

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Sunday August 17 2014 at 11:33
Kate your post is to say the least atrocious some couples are out of work through no fault of there own and need a helping hand to get by and some will be on a low wage and every little helps and if you think that the mother is the one to blame for getting pregnant may I remind you that birth control isn't a hundred percent effective every body is struggling in this time of austerity and a little help is appreciated your post is really vendictive are you saying a working couple shouldn't have a child because of the economic climate shame on you

Reply Posted by j on Sunday August 17 2014 at 12:12
Nice gesture - but the mother's have 9 months to plan for the arrival of their baby - so surely one essential item a week to buy is feasible - just saying that's what I would do.

Reply Posted by mich on Sunday August 17 2014 at 12:52
Sorry if they can not afford the basic's for a new born how on earth do they think they can afford to bring them up for the nest 18 years. It is wrong if you can not afford children you should not have them.

Reply Posted by j on Sunday August 17 2014 at 13:50
Totally agree Mich - I waited until I had the stability needed to bring my children into the world - had had some hard times since, but with careful spending my kids never went short - me and my husband did, but that's what being a parent is all about - providing for them and not expecting others to do it for you!

Reply Posted by Nic on Sunday August 17 2014 at 13:57
I had 10 kids and got everything free.. NAPPY DAYS

Reply Posted by becci on Sunday August 17 2014 at 16:11
I think its a brilliant idea to a certain extent I think it should be for mums and dads who do work but are on a low income as people on benifits get the maternity grant wich is more than enough to buy a pushchair and cot etc but people who work don't get that sort of help

Reply Posted by patty on Sunday August 17 2014 at 22:08
Many many years ago (1970s) i was a single parent on benefits and my child made do with hand me downs and second hand pram/buggy didnt do me or him any harm. I've since had 3 more kids and been able to afford new. i've seen parents on benefits buying designer prams/buggys at upwards of £400. Good idea as long as it goes to those really in need.

Reply Posted by Trudy on Monday August 18 2014 at 08:40
Patty, I don't know how you can say that as I worked at the DHSS in the 1970s and if you were on benefits you got everything paid for for a new baby.

Reply Posted by Kelly on Monday August 18 2014 at 08:44
I understand a few people due suffer financially but if you can't afford kids you shouldn't be having kids. Just my opinion.

Reply Posted by Left wing and proud on Monday August 18 2014 at 10:00
So you lot are saying if you get in to financial difficultys while pregnant you shouldn't have an helping hand or that minimum wage couples shouldn't have kids what hypocrisy I wonder how many of your lot got family tax credit or put your child benefit towards your mortgage

Reply Posted by patty on Monday August 18 2014 at 17:58
I can say that Trudy cos i lived it. Yes i got a maternity grant and between buying all second hand goods for baby and furniture for council house i'd just got I just about managed to survive, not saying times were worse then but just got on with it, me n kids managed fine and were happy with no designer gear in sight

Reply Posted by No one on Thursday August 21 2014 at 12:11
Ppl shouldn't be having kids if they can't afford even the basics!