Youngster Rescued From Barnsley Lake

Thursday August 14 2014

South Yorkshire Police South Yorkshire Police

A YOUNG boy had to be rescued from a lake after he got into difficulty on Wednesday evening.

Firefighters were called to Dearne Valley Park on Pontefract Road just before 5pm.

Two fire crews from Cudworth and Dearne stations were quickly on the scene along with two water rescue units.

Firefighters, along with police and two members of the public, entered the water and rescued the young boy from the lake and administered CPR at the scene until paramedics arrived.

The boy, who is believed to be around nine years old, was taken to hospital.

Group manager Andy Hayter said: "This was a multi-agency response to reports of a young lad in the water.

"Our firefighters did an incredible job to rescue him, assisted by police officers, and provided emergency first aid at the scene."

Crews left the scene at 5:40pm.

Reply Posted by Young Morris on Thursday August 14 2014 at 12:05
Those lundwooders will bath anywhere....

Reply Posted by Sarah on Thursday August 14 2014 at 15:44
What's it got to do with him been a lundwooder....he could've drowned n died...yeah fair enough he shouldn't ave been near water on his own in first place...so your comment was wrong!

Reply Posted by Young Morris on Thursday August 14 2014 at 17:27
Calm down flower it was a joke. If he would have drowned I obviously wouldn't have said it, I would have been giving the family my deepest sympathy...... U from lundwood haha?

Reply Posted by Wendy hood on Thursday August 14 2014 at 19:08
It was a LUNDWOODER who pulled the boy out of the water!!

Reply Posted by Neil on Thursday August 14 2014 at 19:09
Don't try an get out of it Morris u meant it were u from worsbro or kendray scum.

Reply Posted by Young Morris on Thursday August 14 2014 at 20:02
Haha I'm not trying to get out of anything I like lundwood. When I drive through it makes me appreciate life that little bit more;-)

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday August 14 2014 at 21:32
Who cares where he's from or where the person was from who pulled the boy out, I'm glad to hear hes ok and still living, why does it always have to be about where people are from, ever town, city, country has it's nice places, not so desirable and complete and utter dumps but who actually gives a ****.

Reply Posted by jan on Thursday August 14 2014 at 23:13
what the flip is a 9 yr old kid doing in a lake with no one to watch over him. says no mention of a parent being there, just members of the public and emergency services!

Reply Posted by steve on Friday August 15 2014 at 13:42
I walk round that area and often than not the orange life belts which are available for siduations like this can been seen floating in the middle of the 2 large pounds are being chucked in for a laugh,I just hope after today the mindless idiots who do this for a laugh will think twice about the consequence's of doing this but i doubt it

Reply Posted by jan on Friday August 15 2014 at 21:00
How many deaths and near misses does there have to be before young people start to realise the dangers of this type of water environment. I too wonder what a 9 year old was doing in this situation unsupervised.

Reply Posted by Helen Bach on Sunday August 17 2014 at 10:05
I hope the young lad is going to be ok.

Reply Posted by jamie on Sunday August 17 2014 at 10:10
Glad the boys ok....these things happen unfortuantly......but as for u people who are saying what was he doing unsupervised you need to realise he is 8 not 2 ....when I was 9 I was out with my mates making dens in the woods , swimming about in rivers going on bike rides etc etc etc you have to let boys be boys and not wrap them up in cotton wool....im from shafton as I write this 3 young lads aged around 10 av just walked my housevwith fishing rods.......not a adult in view.., is that so wrong!!!

Reply Posted by Rachael on Thursday September 18 2014 at 18:35
The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. The discussion has nothing to do with where this happened it is to do with a family devastated by a tragic accident. Kindly keep unhelpful discussion and offensive comments to yourself.