Barnsley Photographer Plans Business Expansion

Wednesday March 28 2012

Rebecca Sykes Rebecca Sykes

A BARNSLEY woman who was a school drop-out and teenage mum is looking to expand her commercial photography business after winning support from the Prince's Trust.

Rebecca Sykes says ten years ago she spent her time visiting her boyfriend in prison and grappling with being a teenage mum - but now she runs Blush Photography, has met royalty and is looking to expand.

When Rebecca was 17, she left home, moved in with her boyfriend and abandoned her ‘A’ levels. Then, when she was five months pregnant, her boyfriend was sent to prison for four years and she began to feel she had thrown her life away.

She said: “I had thought of myself as a bit of a rebel, but then I was so depressed and ashamed. I hated taking my baby to prison on visits.

“I had always dreamed of being a photographer. So I decided to take an ‘A’ level in photography at Barnsley College and then a HND in photography at Leeds College of Art and Design.”

Rebecca set up Blush Photography in 2008 and is doing so well she's considering employing an assistant. Her client list includes RBS Insurance, Love2Eat, Greenflag and the Prince’s Trust.

Reply Posted by Beckybam92 on Wednesday March 28 2012 at 14:12
I hope to register my interest in the possibility of being the photography assistant. I have a strong interest in photography and want to expand my knowledge. I would be very excited and very grateful cv the the chance. I hope she will see my message some how.

Facebook name is Becky 'Dinky' Bamforth

Reply Posted by guest on Wednesday March 28 2012 at 15:25
Great good news story, but I think the start of the article is phrased a little negatively. I wouldn't class someone who left an A level course as a school drop-out & being a teenage mum isn't a bad thing.

But mainly, Well done Rebecca!

Reply Posted by Nicky on Wednesday March 28 2012 at 16:06
Thanks for your comment - the press release was submitted by the lady herself and those were her words, not ours.

Reply Posted by guest on Wednesday March 28 2012 at 19:56
Can't argue with that.

Reply Posted by Beryl94 on Thursday March 29 2012 at 18:03
good on yer

Reply Posted by Beryl94 on Thursday March 29 2012 at 18:03
good on yer

Reply Posted by Laura on Thursday March 29 2012 at 18:12
 Becky, here's Rebecca's website (Blush Photography).  Why not contact her directly?

Reply Posted by neil on Thursday March 29 2012 at 18:15
Big congrats to becca in expanding her business met her a few times and She is a very positive person the princes trust is supporting my business idea and think many of the younguns in barnsley with a business idea should enquire about the enterprise program

Reply Posted by Lola on Friday March 30 2012 at 20:10
I heard this young lady being interviewed on BBC Radio Sheffield, it was a great interview very positive. Also she was very funny and the confidence from being her own boss radiates as she speaks about her passion and interests. Was suitably impressed and have book marked her site for future reference.