Brian Blessed To Appear On BBC Ancestry Programme

Tuesday August 12 2014

BRIAN Blessed will be tracing his family's roots on the BBC's 'Who Do You Think You Are?' programme on Thursday night.

The big-voiced 77-year-old, who was born in Mexborough and grew up in Probert Avenue, Goldthorpe, set out to discover where his adventuring spirit came from.

"The whole thing is incredibly moving," he said. "It's been a fantastic experience retracing the Blesseds.

"I wasn't interested in finding a king or a prince. I wanted to find out about wonderful, real people and boy did I get real people."

Brian's journey takes him to areas such Mexborough, Goldthorpe and Sprotbrough, but also further afield to London and Portsmouth.

He said he could relate to his ancestors being 'paupers' and recalled his childhood days when he would have to beg for food.

He was also astonished to learn of Jabez Blessed, his great-great grandfather, who survived being orphaned and living rough on the streets of London to father 13 children of his own.

"I've realised that the adventurer in me comes from Jabez," he added.

Who Do You Think You Are? will air on Thursday at 9pm on BBC One.

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 15:57
Thats nice. Wish they,d do me and loads of my ancestors were from The Bahamas and I had to go seek the story out for 6 months,then it would lead me to Australia for 6 months. Just day dreaming in my little office.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 17:05
is that office the cubicle in the Alhambra toilet.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 19:03
hahah very funny guy.

Reply Posted by SIDS sister on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 16:39
I wish they Would DO you @sid

Reply Posted by sid on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 16:43
Yes,@ sis,thats because you want to come with me.

Reply Posted by Nic on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 19:30
Credit to BB, must've been difficult growing up in such a ****hole.

Reply Posted by ooooo on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 21:54
Knew some if the Blessed's personally. They are such a wonderful caring family

Reply Posted by Flash on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 11:10
Gordon's alive!

Reply Posted by Ming on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 12:02
Beat me to it!

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday August 14 2014 at 21:23
Just watching this program now. What a really nice fella he's turning out to be. I'm noticing how very friendly he is with everyone he meets.

Reply Posted by siddis on Thursday August 14 2014 at 21:29
he on bloody tele sid@ he not going to be ignorant, wakey wakey sid. its called acting.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday August 14 2014 at 21:47
Well I like him anyroad.

Reply Posted by GRIM on Thursday August 14 2014 at 22:17
I thought I was going to find it annoying but it was a total joy to watch.
I like that he's over the top and eccentric. We need people that that, as oppose to bloody annoying, self-rightous ignorant tits that we hear all of the time.

I think he's some one that acted up all his life, its just become part of who he is. Very likable.
And a really interesting story too.

Reply Posted by sid on Thursday August 14 2014 at 22:43
Here here GRIM. I thought he came across well for us Yorkshire folk. In my job, I speak with lots of folk from all walks of life and Yorkshire folk are always the warmest characters. As you say,over the top and eccentric and that's better than being boring. Still wish they,d do me! Lol.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday August 17 2014 at 11:11
Watched it on catch up and was one of the most fascinating episodes.