Rise In Parental Fines For Term-Time Holidays

Wednesday August 13 2014

ALMOST 400 fines were issued by Barnsley Council to parents who took their children out of school for a term-time holiday.

The 396 fines, handed out from September 2013 to July 2014, represents an increase from last year's figure of 332.

Almost 64,000 fines have been issued across the country since the law changed in September 2013, which is a rise of around 70 per cent.

The changes have drawn stern criticism from parents, who attempt to reduce the bill of taking their kids on holiday by opting for cheaper, out-of-season months.

The initial £60 per parent per child fine rises to £120 if it's not paid within 21 days.

A council spokesperson said: "The 2013-14 figures will not be finalised until they are completed and submitted to the government in late October.

"It is likely that the figure will be lower than stated currently as a result of consideration and processing of individual cases."

What do you think? Do you still choose to take your kids out of school? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Concerned on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 13:12
Holiday companies are to blame. Doubling, sometimes tripling prices during school holidays just isn't fair. It forces people into breaking the law.

Reply Posted by Cal on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 13:14
I found the fine was still cheaper than going during the school holidays.

Not the point I know but during the last two weeks of term the kids hardly do any work anyway. She's only 5 but was asked to bring DVD's and games etc in anyway so no work was happening.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 14:33
Thats very true @Cal.

Reply Posted by baz on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 13:32
What does this mean per parent what if your a single parent how will the council track down the kids mother what ever gutter she is laying in and make her pay . Think the government got this one wrong should be able to take kids out for two weeks through out the year if some terms have to be avoided then thats fine

Reply Posted by Mat on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 14:13
I agree with the above, I'm not being held to ransom by holiday companies capitalising on parents struggling to save the funds to give their children a decent holiday. Its about quality time as a family. I'm divorced and enjoy my yearly holiday with my kids as do they, i work away 10 months of the year so if i get a fine then best of luck finding me as i wont be paying it

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 14:21
Theres got to be some sort of compromise, government can't say take your kids on holiday in 6 weeks they have off, I think the government should have some sort of say in the fact that the holiday prices go up 2 thousand or even more, think it's ridiculous that you can't take your child out of school, even if it isn't a educational holiday, the fact of goin to a different country experiencing there types of foods, in a way it's still educational. I'm expecting one of these fines as I took my kids out of school in June, but I really don't care, my partner could only get that week off work.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 14:26
was it only food that your kids experienced ? NOT THE SITES. better staying at home and plenty of foreign food outlets on Sheffield road..

Reply Posted by paula on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 15:41
Well I didn't get fined for allowing my two sons to go during term time with their grandparents. ...They consider the childs attendance during the school year too....my children had 100% attendance before going away and have never been late for school in the 4 years they have been at school...so the people getting fined may have had other issues with attendance

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 16:02
here here, I never got fined, child was off for two weeks in school term and phoned in sick daily,

Reply Posted by Emmica on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 15:41
I have booked the first 10 days of September to take my four children to Majorca, because if I had chosen to take them two weeks earlier the same holiday jumps up by over £1300!!!

I'd rather pay £1500 plus £120 in fines, rather than £2800 for a holiday!

Reply Posted by Emmica on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 15:44
Only two of mine are full-time school age, And have had 100% attendance for the past 3years...
Doubt I'll get fined, but as previously mentioned - £120 is cheaper than £1300!

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 16:53
What do you lot think school is setting children back two weeks that means extra tuition for the children to catch up with the rest of the class school is not a baby sitting club kids are there to learn not to be taken out of class because daddy and mammy want bargain holidays get real it's your children's education

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 16:56
ok thomsons, but it is ok for teachers to have inset days, strike, wake up

Reply Posted by Toptykeman on Monday August 18 2014 at 19:31
So you think teachers have inset days just to have time off GF. How about using the time to train interpreters up to school standards, or rehearsing the ever changing curriculum. Or even preparing for new children with special needs. Strikes are something different. The attitude to inset days is typical from people who were taken out of school too often !!

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 17:48
Listen guy you can hear a third world child walking five to ten kilometres and longer to get a days education because they know how important education is and I didn't post it was alright for teachers to go on strike either stop pandering to spoilt parents who want easy holidays and start to educate our children

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 18:06
this isn't a third world country, you plonker

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 18:08
Not yet, but don't hold your breath.

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 18:54
@guy fawkes - If you read my comment correctly, my children are not even mentioned in my message, I was saying in general, holidays are not just for educational facts & site seeing, it's also about spending time with family, having a good time, so before you start having a pop at me for a general comment, read the message correctly, stop jumping at people if you disagree with what they say it's called having an opinion.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 19:43
Practice what you preach Lauren! You had a pop at me for having an opinion about the free travel jobby by for the oldies!

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 19:47
anon - keep your opinions to yourself, you twisted prat

Reply Posted by Thomsons on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 18:58
Guy I can remember when you ranted on. One of your posts about. Kilkenny insulting you with words like plonker and how agreaved you where and here you are doing the exact same to me you hypercritical ****** and I know what a third world looks like a bit like your back garden

Reply Posted by guido fawkes on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 19:58
what ever

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 20:00
Nah @anon think you've got me mixed up with some one else as you can see from the message above I'm not the only one who is called or puts messages on this site in the name of Lauren and for one I don't even understand what your trying to say 'free travel jobby for the oldies' is, never mind me commenting on it.

Reply Posted by Lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 20:22
stop writing in my name, and use your own name you trouble causer

Reply Posted by No comment on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 21:41
call in sick is what i do or get a family member to do it, always have never been fined touch wood anyway

Reply Posted by lauren on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:16
My name is Lauren and theirs more than one Lauren who post on this site and theirs more than one person called Lauren in Barnsley and I'm trouble causer am far from that am not calling any one 'a twisted prat' that you + I can always get Wab to trace your ip address

Reply Posted by Lauren on Thursday August 14 2014 at 12:34
you do that girl/boy

Reply Posted by ...... on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 23:24
It's another tax. The government know that it's still cheaper in some cases to pay the fine so they are cashing in on the tourism business.

Reply Posted by Me on Thursday August 14 2014 at 06:33
I've discovered if a childs attendance is above 95% they can't fine you this came Fromm childs school so when I go on holiday next month only 1 of my 2 kids
Will get a fine

Reply Posted by Adrian on Thursday August 14 2014 at 07:20
Your are all morons. If at the end of term you ask permission from school to go on holiday or your children are advance for their age then schools will often allow children time off for holidays.

Reply Posted by Tarn lad on Thursday August 14 2014 at 12:18
We took our child out in June missing 5 days of school an the school didn't authorise it but we didn't get fined but are holiday cost just short of £2000 but if we went in summer holidays term it would have been around £2800 do I rather pay the fine. Do the math

Reply Posted by lauren on Thursday August 14 2014 at 15:47
We too asked holiday forms, they said their not authorising any holidays at all so @adrian as you say where all morons, think your the one with a mental capability of a 7year old & no school as ever ever let a child go on holiday cos their advanced for their age as that would be not be fair as school promote the equality of every child they have in their school

Reply Posted by Thingybobby on Sunday August 17 2014 at 19:45
Are fines going to be imposed on teachers/schools/council when children CANNOT attend school, by it's closure for strikes/weather/training???

Reply Posted by Donna on Monday August 18 2014 at 09:09
I have 3school aged children. It cost us more in fines than it did for the occomdation. Fair to say we can no longer afford to go on holiday any more. We only had uk holidays. We can't afford more with my husbands low wage.
Can some please explain to my kids how this is in their best interest?

Reply Posted by the one on Friday August 22 2014 at 18:30
What about all the time the kids had off school because of strikes and teacher training days they going to fine them for lost education or put them all in one week in term time then everybody is a winner

Reply Posted by Would rather pay it on Friday August 22 2014 at 18:33
I would pay the fine and take my kids on holiday. I took my kids out in the last week Of school. It was sports week so no school work done whatsoever and in the weeks running upto July they were practising for a school play, we have a summer production. Again no work done for over 3 weeks. A weeks holiday abroad seeing culture, learning and hearing a new language Is great for them. My holiday was 3k cheaper to go that week. As for inset days they are a joke and they are farrow disruptive to a week than going away for a full week on holiday. Our school returns on Friday, 4 inset days at the start of term, and 7 weeks off school. In November the kids will start practising for their Xmas concert so they won't get spellings, or be reading. They never have in the past! So this is acceptable and me taking them out for 1 whole week or maybe 2 is damaging. I don't think so! Or should I say know so, seen as my eldest as walked out of school with 19 GCSE's all mostly B grades, 2 c grades and 3 BTEC's passed with distinction! Its down to the parents to educate as well.

Reply Posted by Rog on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:03
Keep the holidays as they are,give the rest of us a chance to enjoy our holidays without screaming brats...while we are at it it, child free planes too....

Reply Posted by Steve on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:04
The one. When would you suggest teachers have training days then?

Reply Posted by Rog on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:07
Right with you Thompson, let parents take the out of school while they can, after all they won't get many working at Mc Donalds...will be holidaying at Skegness then....

Reply Posted by the one on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:16
@steve anytime just put them all together let the teachers get there week or 2 training in and the parents get there off peak holidays win win situation

Reply Posted by Steve on Friday August 22 2014 at 19:36
Who exactly do you want to fine tho? I don't understand

Reply Posted by sarah on Sunday August 24 2014 at 10:17
Rog what is your issue with people working at mcds, im pretty sure the workers there can string a sentence together as you clearly cannot "let parents take the out of school" the what exactly?.

Reply Posted by peeved on Monday August 25 2014 at 10:17
@Thompson and@rog. Due to my parents work commitments I was taken out of school, did me no harm s I have gone on to be a senior consultant, it also did Richard Branson no harm. This year I will be taking my kids out of school s both myself and my wife cannot get the time of during the school holiday period. Head teachers still have the power to authorise the time away from school. I suggest any one who has to take the children out of school for an holiday looks up the campaign group Parents Want A Say. This government is trying to get absentee levels down by fining decent parents to cover up their poor attempts at controlling truancy by kids that have parents that don't care. Family time is very important and the government should not interfere with this.

Reply Posted by Simple on Monday August 25 2014 at 10:18
The answer is simple it's got nothing to to with holiday company's that's just supply and demand, the real problem is the fact that schools are shut for 6 months a year, they should make schools and teacher work like everyone else and work a whole year, then pearents can take there kids out of school for 10 weeks a year with out fines and give teachers 4 weeks like everyone else, kids are in school more so not missing out on there education. Then hotels airlines travel companies will have people coming at them when the prices are cheaper and prices will level out. And as for fining parents for taking there kids out is ludicrous, of your child has 100% attendance and take them out for 1 week you get fined, but other childen have 70% attendance etc do not get a fine is ridiculace, what is the pint of the excercise to keep kids in school of to persecute people.

Reply Posted by Jodie on Monday August 25 2014 at 11:31
Why is everyone arguing over it? So what if "mammys & daddy's" like to find bargain deals! It's what you do when you have kids!! Not like they go every year!