Pensioner Passes Driving Test Aged 77

Monday August 11 2014

A BARNSLEY pensioner can't wait to drive down to Cornwall after she passed her test - at the age of 77.

Kathleen Mitchell, of Barnsley Road, Brierley, passed the driving test at the start of the month and is now behind the wheel of a three-litre Jaguar XF.

She decided to learn to drive after her husband Tony, 78, suffered a stroke and underwent treatment for cancer.

"He still drives but it means I can take over if he doesn't feel like it or he gets tired," Kathleen said. "I can take him to appointments and see our daughter's house in Bude in Cornwall.

"It's on my bucket list to drive there."

Reply Posted by ju on Monday August 11 2014 at 13:13
Accident waiting to happen! 3 litre jag for an inexperienced driver?? Let me know when she's on the roads and I'll stay in!

Reply Posted by Joanne on Monday August 11 2014 at 13:45
I couldn't agree more!!

Reply Posted by Sandal MINI Wakefield on Monday August 18 2014 at 11:10
This lovely lady and her husband Tony have been and bought a MINI Countryman for theirselves, the Jaguar is actually Tony's car and Kathleen won't be driving that. I was over the moon when Kathleen told me she'd passed her driving test! They struggle no end to get to and from hospital appointments so I was over the moon for her. Hats off to her :) And shes so excited to pick up her new MINI Countryman!

Reply Posted by sid on Monday August 18 2014 at 12:43
MMMMm, good luck with that! Mini, not a brilliant choice Im afraid. Been there done that.

Reply Posted by A biker on Monday August 11 2014 at 13:32
It's great that she's passed her test and for all we know she might be an excellent driver, but it really annoys me that you can pass your car test and get behind the wheel of virtually anything providing you can get insured and could potentially carry 4 passengers (more if you have a people carrier!)... yet to pass a motorcycle test you have to pass a basic training test (CBT) then take a theory test and then do TWO practical test...all of which you have to pay for separately and you can take ONE passenger/pillion or possibly 2 if you have a sidecar! I'm not against the car test, I've been driving myself almost 30 years but why do they make it so difficult for bikers? :( rant over.

Reply Posted by Theresa on Monday August 11 2014 at 14:04
For all we know she could have been insured as a learner driver and driven with her husband At the side of her for years!! It's just as dangerous as a 21 year old in a clapped out banger! I hope she gives whoever doubted her and does still doubt her the middle finger when Shes bombing past them in her jag! Congratulations to her!!

Reply Posted by blue sy on Monday August 11 2014 at 20:28
How long before someone reading this tries to nick the car?

I think that they should get rid of it and buy something sensible and safer. I also think that her hubby should hang up his driving gloves following his ill health.

the roads would then be safer for all.

Reply Posted by emma on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:38
The roads will be safer when people start driving better and watch what they r doing don't matter what age u r at if u not driving unsafe then that's when things go wrong I know that from past so go on her I say

Reply Posted by emma on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:38

Reply Posted by guido fawkes on Monday August 11 2014 at 21:06
Would sooner catch the train to buds driving on our motorways know is a nightmare ,congratulations on passing but if I was you and use other forms of transport.

Reply Posted by Tom on Monday August 11 2014 at 22:22
Probably cheaper than the train!

Reply Posted by guido fawkes on Monday August 11 2014 at 22:38
Let the train take the strain .

Reply Posted by hmm on Monday August 11 2014 at 22:47
3 litre jag? Must be nice. And people think she deserves free travel too

Reply Posted by jill on Monday August 11 2014 at 22:54
I know this lovely lady, and she and her hubby have worked hard all their lives,so yes! A 3 litre jag! She wouldnt use free travel even if she had the need. She is very proud and independent,so if anyone thinks those qualities are bad then they can just squirm along!

Reply Posted by hmm on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 07:00
My point was that ladies like her are great examples of why the elderly dont automatically need their travel paid for.

Reply Posted by jill on Tuesday August 12 2014 at 09:30
Good squirmy effort@hmmm.

Reply Posted by Tarn lad on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 08:57
To old to start driving as her reactions will be slow as I've seen quite a few old people been in near misses. as young people cause accidents with there inexperience an speeding etc so there's a argument at both end of the spectrum to young/old so they both should be restricted to 1.0 litre size engine

Reply Posted by Driver on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:14
Congratulation. Hope you enjoy the car you paid for with your earnings not given to you, and as for shouldn't be able to drive because of her age GET A GRIP. Old young no matter your age different people have different reaction speeds, I'd be more concerned about the reactions of a drunk/ drug used driver that an elderly driver!

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:18
how can a new driver get insured on a three-litre Jaguar XF.

Reply Posted by mrx on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:25
just tried doing a quote and it said
Sorry, we can't insure you for the following reason:

You don't have enough driving experience for this type of car.

Reply Posted by banana on Wednesday August 13 2014 at 22:35
do we really need another women on the road.

Reply Posted by june on Sunday September 7 2014 at 08:50
My husband passed his practical test 5 months ago at the age of 59. It is necessary to ignore all the negative stuff about being too old, too this, too that etc. This story has really inspired me and I got my licence over 30 years ago. Gives us all hope in all areas of life. We are all individuals so please don't make rash judgements about being too old - which means you are not good enough!!