Barnsley Councillors' Allowances And Expenses Revealed

Friday August 15 2014

COUNCILLORS in Barnsley were paid more than £880,000 in allowances and expenses in the financial year to March.

Council leader Sir Steve Houghton received the most at £35,848.23, followed by his deputy, Coun Jim Andrews, who claimed £26,268.03.

The overall figure - which has been falling each year since 2012 - is more than ten per cent lower than it was three years ago when it totalled almost £975,000.

All 63 borough councillors are paid a basic allowance of £10,426. This figure has remained unchanged for three years in a row. It used to be £10,975 but councillors agreed to take a five per cent cut in 2011.

On top of this basic, councillors receive special responsibility pay if they take on additional duties such as the full-time positions on Barnsley's cabinet, and roles on other council committees.

What do you think to this? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by bananas on Friday August 15 2014 at 11:56
nice. Barbados here they come.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday August 15 2014 at 12:02
not bad for running the town into a steady decline.

Reply Posted by bobby davro on Friday August 15 2014 at 12:05
I wouldnt pay jim andrews in bent washers to put my bin out. Not that it would get emptied mind you.

Reply Posted by ooherr on Friday August 15 2014 at 12:06
Not a bad income for making false promises.

Reply Posted by Higgy on Friday August 15 2014 at 12:17
Not that much really. I'd want more than that for putting up with the grief.

Reply Posted by conserned on Friday August 15 2014 at 12:39
Do we need 3 councillors per ward, wouldn't 2 do like some other councils.

Reply Posted by Margaret on Friday August 15 2014 at 13:26
Money for old rope they do sod all and get paid for it

Reply Posted by Tina on Friday August 15 2014 at 13:29
It's about time they started paying the ppl that work for them what we're owed I have been waiting for 4 years for Bmbc to make me an offer for my equal rights payout but as the solicitor says barnsley council are dragging there heels it's not fare. They put our wages on hold for 4 years to minimise redundancies then offer us 1% which to me is an insult. Then I see things like this... Come on Bmbc pay me what u owe me!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by timmy on Friday August 15 2014 at 13:32
couldnt agree more with "Conserned"

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday August 15 2014 at 15:38
Absolutely OBSCENE that Houghton earned more than the Prime Minister last year!

People of Barnsley you should be ASHAMED of voting these snouts in the troughs gravy trainers in EVERY time.

What have BMBC and Houghtons cronies actually brought to the party?

NOTHING , but WHY THE HELL DO YOU CONTINUE TO VOTE THEM IN?

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday August 15 2014 at 18:15
Dear steveo I love to read your posts sometimes a little long winded but you obviously feel passionately about Barnsley and some points are quite valid,but I am afraid if you put a red rosette on an orangutan it would still get voted in,frustration about the politics of Barnsley and the UK in general will just frustrate the life out of you as it does me.

Reply Posted by Dave on Monday August 18 2014 at 12:11
Am is missing something. According to parliament's website the prime minister gets paid £142,500 plus expenses. According to this article Houghton gets £35,848.23 in allowances and expenses (Councillors don't get a salary). How is that more?

Reply Posted by Nic on Friday August 15 2014 at 15:44
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
BMBC New Labour Pigs, snouts in the troughs, whilst we live in a dump with poor services.

Reply Posted by Nic on Friday August 15 2014 at 15:44
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Reply Posted by Redrew on Friday August 15 2014 at 17:08
@Stevo. The Prime Minister earns £142,000 per year. I can't see how that is less than £36,848 plus £10,426. If you are talking obscene what about the amount of money paid to Prima Donna premier league footballers. Even the Chief Executive of Barnsley Council earns more than the Council Leader or is it just another pop at Labour?

Reply Posted by boring redrew on Friday August 15 2014 at 17:12
the list could go on and on

Reply Posted by Mick on Friday August 15 2014 at 19:17
The amounts listed are allowances & expenses, i.e. they are in addition to salaries. The council leader does earn more than the PM overall. 9 people in Barnsley Council earn more than £100,000 per year. See the 'Town Hall Rich List' on taxpayers alliance website.

Reply Posted by Cathy on Saturday August 16 2014 at 13:05
No - there are no salaries just allowances. Those figures are the totals.

Reply Posted by John on Monday August 18 2014 at 12:14
I think someone's getting their Chief Executive and Council Leader mixed up. They are different people.

Reply Posted by Ray99 on Friday August 15 2014 at 18:13
Redrew are you joking? He earns 130 odd grand that other 36k is just what he claims back in allowances, you need to have a look at his finances pal. Diana tenris is on 140 odd and lets not even start on their pension payments. The whol system is rotten at the top

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Friday August 15 2014 at 18:31
@ray well said ray it just goes to show you we are just like mushrooms fed on s..t and kept in the dark about what they really earn.does he get anymore being a sir that must have some wonderful perks too,London all paid on adventures.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday August 17 2014 at 16:57
@ Ray99, its rotten at the top because both they and their "comrades" get to choose how much of a pay rise they want.

Reply Posted by Clint Eastwood on Friday August 15 2014 at 20:38
Red rosette on a orangutang well it's got my vote left turn Clyde better than the Bullingdon club blue chimps

Reply Posted by magnum 45 on Saturday August 16 2014 at 18:48
Make my day punk

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday August 16 2014 at 02:16
@ Guido, contrary to popular belief I am a passionate tarnie and absolutely sick to the back teeth of Houghton,Dugher , Miller and the rest of the Labour idiots who sit in their newly renovated municipal ivory tower not giving a monkeys about the people of this once proud town.
I truly despair at people that vote for these buffoons all because there forefathers voted for them.
They promised us a new town centre 20 years ago and we are still waiting.
They promised us good jobs...
They promised to make our town better etc etc
All we will ever get is 20 odd THOUSAND houses that the large majority of the people in our town simply cant afford and massive loss of green belt land.

Buffoons!

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday August 16 2014 at 11:37
Steveo I too agree with some only some of your posts but I don't understand if you feel that passionate about the wrongs of Barnsley labour councillor's why haven't you tried to change it from with in? You may have already tried but here is an hypothetical question who ever gets onto Barnsley council wouldn't they also get the same structure as the present council be it one of the three main party's or one of the other political party's what exactly is your point is it the wage structure that should be restructured in that case I entirely agree with you but if its a personnel vendetta against individual labour councillor's I suggest you take it up with them at the next councillor's surgery or may be you have and been dissatisfied with the result

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday August 16 2014 at 12:36
Oliver, as you may imagine I am always "at them" and have actually been kicked out of a councillors surgery for airing my views.
If only everyone saw through these idiots and did more of the same then may they may finally wake up and smell the coffee.
There is no personal vendetta per se, as they are all the same and all p*ss in the same pot, I actually worked one of the councillors in question for many years and know exactly why he does the "job" he does.....

I did consider standing against our local councillor but as voting Red is ingrained in the phsyche of the local populous and as I don't have the "where with all" I decided against it.

Not only that the "role" itself it a "poisoned chalice" and I wouldn't want to be associated with the gravy trainers anyway as I have staunch beliefs and a strict ethical code unlike "them" that are simply "in it" for themselves.

With regard to the "wage structure" - "They" voted for their own pay and conditions years ago and all we have ever seen is their pay spiral upwards, thanks to the Labour old boys "back slapping" network.
Dugher bleats on about the "cost of living crisis" and people being £1600 pounds a year worse off under the Tories, do you SERIOUSLY believe that he turned down the MP's £11K P.A "pay rise" ?

I rest my case!

Dugher in particular gets plenty of "stick" from me as all he ever seems to do is self promote himself and has had more column inches in the local press than "the Ferret" , he has a lot to say about the "issues in our town" but inevitably he "spins" many articles about the issues of the day back to himself.
One day when the local populous FINALLY see through his idiocy and vote this "career Gravy Trainer" out then a GOOD career in Public Relations as a spin doctor would most definitely suffice.

Miller, god where do I start...
Worked with him for many years, modelled his "speeches" from one of the most loathed men in history - Adolf Hitler.
Also likes to "talk the talk" but hasn't the first clue - Road around Wickes "fiasco" anyone?

And finally, Houghton - Another self publicist who couldn't run a bath yet a local authority, his lack of vision has put this town back 15 years.
AND as far as I am concerned, NO Local Authority "leader" should earn more than the person that is tasked with "running" the country.

For him to claim £30+ K "expenses" on top of his already vastly inflated salary is very distasteful as far as I am concerned.

Just remember there is NO AUSTERITY for these people is there?

Steveo over and out for now.

Reply Posted by Liz on Saturday August 16 2014 at 12:04
And do they listen to the people who elected them? NO! These councillors have had it far too good for too long. Most of them don't even bother answering emails. Margaret Bruff Margaret Sheard!!!!

Reply Posted by Liz on Saturday August 16 2014 at 12:43
@Stevo I totally agree. And I think you should reconsider, I would definitely vote for you!

Reply Posted by Cathy J on Saturday August 16 2014 at 13:14
People are not reading the article - there are no salaries they are called allowances. If there are people earning over £100K they are not the Councillors they are the staff. There are no expenses for being at meetings etc in Barnsley - if you are sent to London etc you are allowed to claim train fair. My Dad is a Councillor elsewhere and people don't get that there is no salary on top - these are the real figures. So who wants to be a Councillor - £10426 before tax - meetings at all times of the day and hundreds of emails about bloody bins!

Reply Posted by harry on Saturday August 16 2014 at 13:22
I have never seen a poor councillor yet,

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Saturday August 16 2014 at 13:33
So Steveo you would in your own words not pick up the poison chalice may I remind you of that well known proverb for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing so with out picking the mantle up your self and standing for election you are excepting the out come even though you debate the wrongs and rights of these councilor's if you will give me a little leaway there's a village in west yorks who are sick and tired of there labour parish councilor's so to get them out, those people who cared about there village have joined the local Labour Party thus stopping the said councilor's from being selected and will put forward there own selection next year. It's just a point to ponder on

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday August 17 2014 at 10:49
An interesting proposition OC, thanks but no thanks I wouldn't even consider running as I have the highest of morals.
These "people" are lower than a snakes belly.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Sunday August 17 2014 at 17:15
So nothing changes then does it sit on yer hands put up and shut up ,more s..t sandwich sir ooohhh yes please my favourite.

Reply Posted by lauren on Sunday August 17 2014 at 17:24
is this a riddle above.. nonsense to me.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Sunday August 17 2014 at 18:54
@lauren in other words the status quo,nothing changes no riddle yours as always the man Fawkes.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday August 18 2014 at 09:27
I doubt anyone would vote for your truly @GF as my "policies" would be so radical they would turn this town on its head.

The Barnsley independent group have tried to gain a foothold in recent years but its like knocking a nail in a not.
Harry Spence is prime example, started off as an indie and "defected" to Labour as he was p*ssing in the wind being an indie.

Reply Posted by Neil on Saturday August 16 2014 at 13:54
I totally agree with u Steves we carnt even get a pay rise for over 4 years now and r jobs r at risk again this year probably av to av another interview for r own job back av u ever seen HOUGHTON an the other councillors do any manual work I think not waste of space.

Reply Posted by Bert on Monday August 18 2014 at 15:00
Neil just so you know, the average leader salary in a council for the UK rose by 100% in the years 2000 - 2010 - we're all in it together

Reply Posted by amanda on Monday August 18 2014 at 08:21
Cant be bad!!!! No money for a bin in park in our estate in Goldthorpe though...

Reply Posted by Barny on Monday August 18 2014 at 09:58
The Labour council of Barnsley just sit back and cruise, knowing that they will be voted in time and time again because 1980's politics and events are ingrained in the minds of the majority.

Reply Posted by Stevie on Monday August 18 2014 at 12:23
Councillors don't get a salary, just the allowances mentioned above. Don't take my word for it - google it.

Reply Posted by AHR on Monday August 18 2014 at 14:19
People moan and groan, take time out to visit your councilors surgerys talk to them, they are there to help !. You will always get a few rotten apples, but the vast majority do a good job.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Monday August 18 2014 at 16:13
AHR, they DONT listen, they are not interested in anything that the local people wish to say.
Ours is an absolute waste of snap and actively colludes with his colleagues so everyone gets what nobody wants.

I will stick my neck out here and say that the councillor in question MUST receive a nice plain brown envelope stuffed with money care of Strata homes.
He isn't the only one too.

Reply Posted by Guido fawkes on Monday August 18 2014 at 17:13
Not just the donkey choking brown envelope,phone calls a voice saying you know which way you're going to vote don't you,and people want to burn me.