Man Appears In Court Charged With Jewellery Robbery

Tuesday March 27 2012

A MAN appeared in court yesterday charged with robbery after a raid on a town centre jewellers earlier this week.

The Barnsley Goldrush shop, on Burlington Arcade, was targeted on Tuesday (March 27) at around 3.15pm. Police sealed off part of the busy shopping street after reports that a man threatened shop workers with a knife and made off with a number of items before getting into a dark green Fiat Punto, being driven by a woman.

A 32-year-old Hertfordshire man and woman were arrested shortly after this incident. The woman has now been released and the man has been charged with robbery.

A shopworker, a Royston man in his 30s, who followed the suspect to the car received a small laceration to his arm during the incident.

Reply Posted by Charleshemingway on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 16:19
They will slap their wrist tell them they have been naughty and let them go, I bet owt on that

Reply Posted by Charleshemingway on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 16:19

Reply Posted by concerned person on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 18:00
dont condone this at all and they should get what they deserve, but its only going to get bloody worse if this government keep taking away money from the poor while the rich get richer

Reply Posted by Anorack on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 19:39
it has nothing to do with who is rich and who is poor. They are scum. End of.

Reply Posted by Angelaz1010 on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 20:01
They should be punished properly...we live in a nanny state.What's the answer? THEY WILL GET THERE WRISTS SLAPPED!! (not good enough)

Reply Posted by Lodgie Lodgie on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 20:09
this town is getting worse by the month,whats going to happen next muggings on st corners,gangs ransacking houses n not enough police presence,i lived in worsborough for a few years n it was bad,the police darent come around n when they did they just drove round estate its getting ridicolus.

Reply Posted by Lodgie Lodgie on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 20:09

Reply Posted by Jane on Tuesday March 27 2012 at 21:55
wel thats not the first and wont be the last do u no who as done it any names yet

Reply Posted by Jess Griggs on Wednesday March 28 2012 at 06:11
What kind of stupid robbers target a shopping broad daylight when it's good weather and half the town is out shopping?

Reply Posted by Jess Griggs on Wednesday March 28 2012 at 06:12
a shop in broad daylight*

Reply Posted by Jamesaaroncureton on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:03
This town is getting worse? Did you not read the article? They weren't even from Barnsley. Barnsley is no worse and dare I say it a hell of a lot better than most towns and cities I visit. Robberies happen always have and always will

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56
James did you not look at the post time from Lodgie-plus this news item has only just been updated,yesterday it was not mentioned where the robbers were from!

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56

Reply Posted by madgaz on Thursday March 29 2012 at 09:56

Reply Posted by Nicolle Fieldsend on Thursday March 29 2012 at 10:13
 I live up Worsbrough Common and I don't think it is bad compared to where I lived in Birmingham.

Reply Posted by Nicolle Fieldsend on Thursday March 29 2012 at 10:13

Reply Posted by Nicky on Thursday March 29 2012 at 10:13
We Are Barnsley works closely with police to responsibly report incidents like this. We release information only when we have spoke to them and confirmed details - and not on speculation and rumour. I hope this clarifies why WAB chose to wait until today for the official statement to add more detail to the piece. Where the robbers were from was not released to any media until today.
And James, I agree with you. I don't believe Barnsley is getting any worse, merely that reporting of crime is so much more in the public eye due to the advent of social media.

Reply Posted by Nicky on Thursday March 29 2012 at 10:13

Reply Posted by Nicolle Fieldsend on Thursday March 29 2012 at 10:17
Funny thing is, a lot of people will claim that the trouble in Barnsley is caused by unruly youngsters yet whenever we see a report like this, the culprit is an adult. As I have mentioned above, I live in Worsbrough Common and I get no trouble at all. I am happy to walk around on my own late at night in Barnsley. When I lived in Birmingham however, as soon as it got dark I didn't like going out alone. Across from my house in Birmingham was a petrol station and at 2pm a guy walked into a shop full of people and stabbed someone. Some things I don't like about Bansley, but I will be honest, safety isn't one of them.

Reply Posted by Nicolle Fieldsend on Thursday March 29 2012 at 10:17

Reply Posted by Fg on Friday March 30 2012 at 14:30
the lady who was in the green punto has now had her car returned to her, all strange this, just wish i knoew the name of the guy who was charged