Demolished Library's Mural Artworks Unable To Be Saved

Wednesday August 6 2014

THE mural artworks on the former Barnsley Central Library could not be saved because they were stuck on "too well", the council has revealed.

It had been hoped the artworks, unveiled in 1999 by Kes author Barry Hines, could be removed and saved before the building was demolished, but when workmen tried to remove them, they started breaking up.

A council spokesman said: "The college made every effort to remove the artwork from the walls of the library.

"However, the tiles were bonded to the building so tightly that any attempt to remove caused them to splinter beyond recovery.

"Given these ongoing results, the conclusion was that it wasn't financially viable to continue with the efforts to preserve the murals.

"However, high-quality images have been taken for reference so that we can produce printed copies of the originals."

Reply Posted by ? on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 14:39
Do you mean it wasn't economically viable to save them. Why photos as a replacement the college does art courses get the students to recreate a tile or two apiece and incorporate the 'new' mural into the new town centre

Reply Posted by Bill on Saturday August 9 2014 at 13:20
weird that how come London bridge can be taken down brick by brick and moved to America but a piece of art n a wall cant be saved Barnsley council at its best just knock it down cheap skates im sure it could have been saved

Reply Posted by Cal on Wednesday August 6 2014 at 17:33
Classic lazy work from the standard contractors I would imagine.

Heavy handed to get the job done. Course they could have been saved. As an engineer I come across lazy work from contractors all the time, no thought and just bulldoze through.

i apologise if I'm wrong but happens too much in my world.

Reply Posted by rainbow on Thursday August 7 2014 at 10:52
The view from the Walkabout across Barnsley now the Library has gone is great seems a pity that they will put another building up in its place. Would look better just landscaped with a few trees etc.????

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday August 7 2014 at 12:20
I've been banging on about this on here before why can't we continue the pals garden theme ask us the people of Barnsley what we want water seating trees get my vote every time not carbuncles.

Reply Posted by Ray on Thursday August 7 2014 at 10:53
Can someone tell me what each one was of? I'm hearing a lot of hot air about them but I can't remember what they looked like they were so good. Nor can I remember when they were installed, I know they weren't part of the original brickwork.
I don't know what the fuss is about. Surely there will be something new at the next library?
I would hardly call them classics.

Reply Posted by murk on Thursday August 7 2014 at 12:58
I can't tell you what they had on them, can't remember myself. But they were put up in 1999 somewhere around the week of my 10th birthday. My mam told me they put them up special for my birthday (and I believed her for about a month!)

Reply Posted by Ray on Friday August 8 2014 at 08:31
Perhaps they were pictures of you eating birthday cake and opening presents? Maybe your mum was telling the truth?

Reply Posted by murk on Friday August 8 2014 at 15:10
That would have been amazing! Alas, I suspect not ;(

Reply Posted by cj on Thursday August 7 2014 at 22:12
My little boy loved them and looked at them every time we drove past or visited the library. Barnsley council dont look after anything. Maybe it was worth a try at least? !?!

Reply Posted by cj on Thursday August 7 2014 at 22:12

Reply Posted by Observer on Friday August 8 2014 at 07:24
Couldnt they have been saved attached to whatever it was theynwere based on?

Reply Posted by Ray on Sunday August 10 2014 at 22:34
If it would have cost 50k to save em people would have been up in arms.
I dunno what fuss is about. I cant remember what they were of, i cant remember who made them, and i cant understand why if they were so important to so many that they all waited until they were gone to act, sorry write some half assed comments on a gossip site.

Reply Posted by Chris on Monday August 11 2014 at 10:30
Sad to see the old building gone. There's lots of pics of it at www.pdsroofingservices.co.uk brings back memories

Reply Posted by Bob on Monday August 11 2014 at 21:15
Trying to get you rankings up on google chris. Think you need to sack your seo company