Parents To Be Given Support To Tackle Childhood Obesity

Wednesday July 30 2014

PARENTS are to be given support and advice on simple skills such as boiling an egg as part of a new approach to tackle childhood obesity.

The council's ruling cabinet and public health team agreed that parents need more help to cook healthier meals.

"We do need to try and help people lose weight," council leader Sir Steve Houghton said. "There are a lot of very simple, practical things we can do as a council to bring people together and support families to eat more healthily.

"Some of the stuff is literally boiling an egg here - we're talking about very simple skills just to get by, which clearly some families haven't got."

It was revealed earlier this year that children in Barnsley are getting fatter as they get older, with figures showing more than a fifth of children aged ten to 11 are classed as obese.

That is the equivalent of 21.7 per cent of year six children.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday August 1 2014 at 13:59
Steve can eat healthy he probably gets a salary of six figures,just shut the pound shops up close Gregg's shut Iceland down,nah it ain't gunna happen is it this is Barnsley.

Reply Posted by anon on Friday August 1 2014 at 16:10
I'm afraid a lot of it is idleness. I see it in my own family. Its just easier to bung a few frozen chips/nuggets/pizza in the oven. It,ll never change,its too late. They know its wrong, they know it makes their kids fat,they can't be bothered. Kids in my own family go days on end with no fruit or veg, sugar cereals for breakfast, ham sarny with sausage roll and crisps for lunch and then the dreaded frozen chips an nuggets or some other rubbish. Of course there's chocolate in between. Its too late,the rubbishy meals are here and seen by many as the norm. Our nieces are going to suffer later,but what can be done? Mum knows best???

Reply Posted by sue on Friday August 1 2014 at 16:12
I truly believe that money hasn't got much to do with it. Its poor choices plus,maybe some education.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday August 1 2014 at 17:23
Child obesity is simply down to lazy patents lettin their kids eat what they want when they want instead of simply been treat wise no need to let your kids eating fish n chips everyday n processed crappy foods cook fresh n be treat wise simple really

Reply Posted by Kilkenny on Friday August 1 2014 at 19:14
patents or parents???? lettin or letting???? you girl need to learn to spell , is that down to parents being lazy and not teaching you..

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday August 1 2014 at 20:31
Ermmm bog off Kilkenny. Spelt right? Good!

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Friday August 1 2014 at 17:25
The sad thing is to see little children in their pushchairs with a sausage roll in hand, this choice is not theirs but the parent/carer. The level of obesity in Barnsley beggars belief. It's not at all attractive.

Reply Posted by Red mist on Friday August 1 2014 at 21:49
It's not just Barnsley is it, it's nationwide. I'm sick to death of people on here quick to stick the boot in to their own town. Very, very strange.

Reply Posted by sue on Friday August 1 2014 at 21:52
You're right red mist, it is nationwide. And it won't get better.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday August 1 2014 at 23:13
Not really kilkennys considering both my parents are dead and I was brought up in care, can't blame the dead for me pressing the wrong button.

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Saturday August 2 2014 at 18:17
I was talking about our local town, I have just spent a few days in a north yorks town, geographically speaking, a much better town with not so many slobs with their gobs and big jelly bellies. So, not so much nation wide at all:)

Reply Posted by lauren on Saturday August 2 2014 at 18:39
Went into town today, kids in pushchair with sausage roll n chocolate all over their faces bags of quavers. Thing is it's not what they give them it's how many times in a week do they eat the same processed food n crisps n chocolate, then went to asda on the way out thought wow that's a big Que for asda ooops no that's just the Que for McDonald's ridiculous

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Saturday August 2 2014 at 21:40
lauren@ we do not want to know what your kids were eating in there pushchair, should be ashamed.

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday August 2 2014 at 22:23
You are obviously a fraudster,posting in Kilkenny's name! Kilkenny has no sense of humour and has never made any one giggle like your post above just did me. Very good!

Reply Posted by Red mist on Saturday August 2 2014 at 18:55
Why don't you move there? Do everyone a favour. Same to all you Barnsley haters and moaners.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Saturday August 2 2014 at 20:29
Red mist move to where you said in a prior post its a nationwide thing,wemoan because we are dissatisfied with the way the people of Barnsley are treat compared to other parts of the UK,pier goes up at Eastbourne Cameron appears says there's money available to repair it.we all want the same a fare share at the table of wealth .

Reply Posted by Sara on Saturday August 2 2014 at 19:34
Bring cooking back at school, teach the basics. Education all the way. Do you know just the other day my friend asked me how to cut a melon up? Quite frankly pointing the blame at lazy parents and standing on your pedestal helps no one does it! some of these people have no idea and do need help, don't hate them for simply not being taught any better! I think a cookery scheme would be great. Sadly many of the younger generation don't know how to cook or prepare good healthy food. And let's face it this is not just barnsley wide or just nationwide, It's worldwide! For you that suggest it's poorer areas what a crock! Some of the richer more privelidged have shocking diets and hearts to boot! All that red wine with their meals. Portions sizes are bigger, pre prepared meals, ready chopped veg that has no nutritional value is easier to access, far from healthy but is marketed as such. And many are fooled into thinking its cheaper again by the way it's marketed! So you can teach many to boil and egg or even create Michelin star meals but if you won't tackle the way in which food is sold and marketed then it will be a losing battle!

Reply Posted by Red mist on Saturday August 2 2014 at 20:49
@Guy my comments are aimed at the people just constantly slating the town and its people.

Reply Posted by Red mist on Saturday August 2 2014 at 20:50
Oh and great post Sara, someone with some sense.

Reply Posted by David Harrison on Saturday August 2 2014 at 21:10
Of course........ if there's a problem, blame the public and teach them to suck eggs but whatever you do don't blame the government, economy, food industry for the additives or the advertisers. Just blame us ............. again.

Reply Posted by lauren on Sunday August 3 2014 at 10:38
Some proper arse holes on this site

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 10:40
yes you above

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 12:37
Dear Lauren the post by someone insulting you was by Kilkenny posting using my name ,I have informed the lady to post in a more constructive manner on w a b but alass she is a law unto herself yours Guido Fawkes.

Reply Posted by lauren on Sunday August 3 2014 at 13:33
Don't bother me one bit @ guy fawkes as I have no time for lowlifes. Best thing about it is the fact that person doesn't even no me or my kids just some idiot tryin to get my back up n start arguing but it ain't goin to happen as I'm not some sad pathetic immature child

Reply Posted by the real guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 14:56
wind your neck in lauren babes, you sound a dumb ass..

Reply Posted by richard on Sunday August 3 2014 at 16:01
well said the real guy fawkes, I also have an imposter..

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 17:26
Dear Kilkenny if you are going to waste your time using my post name at least try avoiding the american TV series language and the use of the word babes which does very little to promote any shread of intelligence in any of your postings on w a b may process.be constructive not blindly destructive to any other posters on here give it a go you may like it yours Guido Fawkes.

Reply Posted by the real guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 18:58
Looks like I got impostar above .. giveway I cant spel that gud..

Reply Posted by kilkenny on Sunday August 3 2014 at 20:57
Oh dear guy@ You don't even know me, so go and get ready for November 5th and people on WAB will be glad to see the back of you, FOOL

Reply Posted by mrs guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 23:05
stop upsetting guy fawkes, he has just but a rocket up his ? and will light it if the imposter doesn,t stop, please I have only got a few months left with him before nov 5th and seeing him upset is just heart wrenching..

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Sunday August 3 2014 at 23:40

Dear Kilkenny guy Fawkes was executed on the 31st of January 1606 forget Nov the fifth there ends me educating you tonite

Reply Posted by the punisher on Sunday August 3 2014 at 17:18
mcdonalds it is for me and kids yum yum

Reply Posted by lauren on Sunday August 3 2014 at 22:30
I carnt fpell tu sayv my fookin lyfe an am a teechyn asssissssssssssternt.

Reply Posted by Nic on Monday August 4 2014 at 00:07
fawkes bell guy end.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday August 4 2014 at 13:10
Think you've got me mixed up with some one else seen as I've never worked in a school and I can sleep I pressed the wrong button if you look on your phone r is next to t oh n I missed a g off of liking call police because some one has made an spelling mistake bloody morons

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday August 4 2014 at 13:11
Spell not sleep predictive text