Shortage Of Organ Donors Highlighted

Thursday July 31 2014

EIGHTEEN people from this area died last year because of a shortage of donated organs.

There are currently 219 people in South Yorkshire waiting for a transplant.

The figures are being highlighted to encourage people to spell out their decision to be an organ donor.

NHS Blood and Transplant is asking people to spell out their decision to donate by joining the NHS Organ Donor Register and by having a conversation with their family.

Sally Johnson, director of organ donation and transplantation for NHS Blood and Transplant, said: "Last year 59 people living in South Yorkshire benefited from a lifesaving organ transplant thanks to families making the decision to donate when a loved one died, a decision that we know makes them incredibly proud."

Are you on the register? If not, what puts you off? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Friday August 1 2014 at 13:54
Discusted that a life is lost due the government not simply bringing a ruling in say you automatically donate organs unless you state otherwise,also I have donated my body to medical science at the Sheffield teaching hospital.if by my death I can help someone live then that's the way it is.I bet if I googled this most European countries take any organs that can help from a dead person,in other words you have to opt out of automatically donating.

Reply Posted by bek on Saturday August 2 2014 at 14:50
i completely agree everyone should be blood donors too it only takes 10mins.

Reply Posted by ... on Saturday August 2 2014 at 15:27
Bek, not everyone can be a blood donor.. I cant cos' of chronic kidney disease i'd love to give blood however they would not let me due to this problem.

Reply Posted by bundy on Saturday August 2 2014 at 15:51
im a kidney transplant patient and had to wait 14 years i agre need more doners sum ethnic groups do not belive in donating but will accept them thats y they cum over hear non racist comment but as a long term patient at the northern general i no wot im talking about and 219 people waiting for organs dont no where you got that figure from but its a lot hiar then that

Reply Posted by can't on Saturday August 2 2014 at 16:35
Can't give blood to low white cell count. So unfortunately not everything is as simple as just saying donate.

Reply Posted by bek on Saturday August 2 2014 at 18:09
sorry if offended anyone,i meant ppl who tick all the boxes !+)

Reply Posted by can't on Saturday August 2 2014 at 21:16
@bek your apology is accepted believe Mr if I could I would. Not a transplant saved my life but a blood transfusion at birth did so yes it would be nice to give something back but unfortunately can't.

Reply Posted by can't on Saturday August 2 2014 at 21:17
Me ( predictive text)

Reply Posted by nic on Sunday August 3 2014 at 07:57
I'm on the register to donate my organs, my blood group is O neg but unable to give blood due to my daily medication .

Reply Posted by Fred on Sunday August 3 2014 at 22:24
I'm not wired up reyt, but you can have my ovaries.

Reply Posted by Richard on Sunday August 3 2014 at 22:40
My boyfriend cannot maintain an erection and the little blue pills give him a heart murmur. What am i to do?

Reply Posted by louise on Sunday August 3 2014 at 23:34
i am on the organ donation register & also carry a card but didnt know till recently that if your next of kin refuses they can overturn decision. hence the importance to discuss your wishes with family

Reply Posted by Nic on Monday August 4 2014 at 00:15
guy fawkes is a Brain-Donor

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday August 4 2014 at 07:15
Not quite correct that nic what happens nic is you contact the teaching hospital you get forms through the post you sign and say your next of kin sign,then when comes the day if your body meets there criteria they will collect your body and store it for up to three years during this time they your body may be subject to certain surgical procedures in other words the next generation of surgeons learn there trade.then your body finally attended by the students ect has a funeral namely a cremation.