Residents' Fury At Social Housing Plans

Tuesday July 22 2014

FURIOUS residents are gearing up to save their local field which has been earmarked for social housing.

Plans for the development, off Cobcar Lane, Elsecar, have been greeted with anger and dismay by the people who live in the surrounding area.

They say the council-owned field, which used to have play equipment, has been used as a play area and football pitch by local children for more than 55 years and should remain a green space.

Ann Loxley, 54, who lives on Cobcar Street, said: "It's the only green space we have around here and I was completely stunned and upset when I got a letter saying they want to build on it.

"There are always kids playing there, it's been a play area for all my life and even longer and I cannot understand why anyone would think this is a good idea - it is not."

The opponents claim some local residents have not even been notified of the plans which are for a Berneslai Homes development comprising a block of five flats and two four-bedroomed houses.

A spokeswoman for Berneslai Homes said: "We are investigating the possible development of a site on Cobcar Lane to develop low cost rented council housing.

"Affordable housing is needed in the local area and across the borough to satisfy demand from families on the council housing waiting list."

Reply Posted by Really on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 16:07
I have never seen any children playing on that waste land, sorry I mean "field". They care that much that since their last protest the "field" has been covered in rubbish! What about the social investment in the community and addressing the housing shortage?

Reply Posted by Niberin on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 16:31
I live locally and this is no 'playing field', It's waste land plain and simple. To also state that there is no 'green space' is laughable!
Elsecar is a semi rural area with a fantastic park!
Very selfish to live in social housing (the area is a council estate) but try to block further development for others!

Reply Posted by Bigus on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 17:35
How selfish trying to deny the development of social housing, the work shy dole wallas, professionally sick and upwardly mobile Eastern Europeans have to live in someone's back yard after all.

Reply Posted by Local on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 21:03
@really their are children on that field everyday weather permitting what times are you doing your field checks? Midnight? Between 9 and 3 when children are at school? What do you mean by social investment in the community, other than issue building contracts or modernisation contracts where the field is turned into a builders yard for a few months then left as an empty builders yard for a year what investment has been made to the community?
@niberian I don't live in social housing I own my home, and I for one do not want my children walking to the park on their own, I take them a few times a week but as I work this is not a daily occurrence so they play on the field.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 21:15
Not far from here you have the heritage centre the park the nine hole golf course and the kiddies golf its lovely there now so wouldn't worry about a bit grass land.

Reply Posted by Ellie(am I the only person with a real name?) on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 21:29
All those cost money guy fawkes, and are acknowledged by the Elsecar residents as wonderful amenities. However, the children aren't old enough to go there on their own,and it isn't practical to take them every day.........that's why they need the field. Unfortunately, it was left a mess by Kier and it is their responsibility to restore it to its former state but as they are unable or unwilling to do so, the residents aim to do their job for them and clear it up on Saturday 2 August, all volunteers welcome!

Reply Posted by Ice cream on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 21:33
Nice of you to clean the site ready for construction to start Ellie! Good to see the community helping to save the council a few bob!

Reply Posted by John on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 22:11
If it wasn't "social" housing they wouldn't be complaining. Lets be real.

Reply Posted by Dirty dave on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 23:25
John is right. I wouldn't want peasants living near me either. They're disgusting.

Reply Posted by Xx on Wednesday July 23 2014 at 20:30
At least the kids can play there for now ice cream,the housing scheme is a proposal, not a foregone conclusion!

Reply Posted by Andrew on Thursday July 24 2014 at 21:26
Its a funny thing to read all the negative comments from people saying the land should be built upon , How about ...... lets keep Elsecar as it is , a wonderful small villiage with as many green area's as possible , I dont see why it has to be over populated , there are plenty of very large area's to build just outside Barnsley and Sheffield.

Reply Posted by Steve on Friday July 25 2014 at 08:12
Well done Andrew, why should we change a village that as a bus service, a train service, the heritage steam train, a beautiful park, a canal which as lovely walks, and most of all alot of wonderful friendly people. Also which was pointed out to me a place where several celebritys have decided to retire to, what more do we need ? If we have to have more housing , what about bungalows for the elderly.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday July 25 2014 at 15:49
By the time BMBC have finished there will be NO green space left in this Borough.
Whatever next Houses on Cawthrone park?

Reply Posted by Sandra on Saturday July 26 2014 at 13:14
Elderly peoples bungalows would be ideal on the space, for the people that have helped to keep the village the way it is, close to local amenities, bus services etc without having to hike up hills

Reply Posted by LV on Saturday July 26 2014 at 13:15
It looks like the main issue Really has with the proposal is that if they build on it she will have to be a parent and walk her kids to the park, where god forbid her kids may ask her to join in!!

Reply Posted by James Bond on Saturday July 26 2014 at 13:29
NIMBY. Not in my back yard. I drive up and down there twice a day and never see kids on there. There's a fantastic park at the bottom of the hill. Selfish people.

Reply Posted by Miss.N on Saturday July 26 2014 at 14:39
What happened to kids playing in their own gardens? I used to go to the field behind my house occasionally but most of the time I played in either mine or my friends garden!

Reply Posted by azizal on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 18:02
I think there would be much less protest if the phrase Social Housing wasent used. It's like saying nuclear power. Needed but not in my back yard please.

Reply Posted by ? on Monday August 4 2014 at 19:00