Hay Fever Cases Double In Barnsley

Wednesday July 30 2014

BARNSLEY GPs are thought to be handling more than double the amount of hay fever cases compared to this time last year.

However, rather than visit the GP, Barnsley residents have been asked to use the 'Pharmacyfirst' tool for advice and information.

Dr Nick Balac, GP and chair of NHS Barnsley CCG, said: "When very high pollen levels are forecast we're encouraging people to visit the local pharmacist and take advantage of our Pharmacyfirst scheme rather than visit their GP.

"Pharmacies are able to offer expert, confidential advice and treatment for a whole range of minor conditions.

"By visiting pharmacists for minor conditions such as hay fever, this will free up GP time for dealing with more complex conditions."

If you're registered with a Barnsley GP, you can go to a participating pharmacy to receive advice and treatment rather than having to wait for an appointment.

Any medicine supplied will cost less than an NHS prescription if you pay for it, or be free if you don’t normally pay for prescriptions.

Click here for more information.

Reply Posted by Oliver CromwelI on Wednesday July 30 2014 at 21:00
Sniffle,swelled eyes,running nose, hay fever nope my partners just made me watch emerdale and corrie sob sob sob can't take much more.

Reply Posted by duferu on Thursday July 31 2014 at 11:19
I am 52 yrs old and my mum is in her 80s. We both, have NEVER suffered from hay fever till they started planting rapeseed crops, my mum is worse than me her nose is like a tap constantly running, they should not be allowed to grow this crop so close to houses. So many people I know have said the same thing and it really make you feel ill when they are in flower.Thankfully they have harvested the damned stuff and we are symptom free again

Reply Posted by Neil on Thursday July 31 2014 at 18:02
Hay fever never suffered from it until recently just started must b the 14 years curing cemetries for Barnsley council lol.

Reply Posted by sal on Friday August 1 2014 at 17:13
I suffer real bad with hay fever. This year seems to be far worse than before. Unfortunately I have Glaucoma and cannot have antihistamines, I have to visit the gp to get steroid nasal sprays, you cannot buy them.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday August 1 2014 at 17:18
I've had some terrible times with my hayfever but it's not been too bad this year had the odd day were it's been really bad but that's it really

Reply Posted by Sara on Sunday August 3 2014 at 09:34
For all you sufferers have a look at this we had a family party and 2 members turned up wearing these Qu Chi acupressure bands. They said they are absolutely fantastic and have not suffered this year compared to the last 20 years bought not sure where you buy them from but I am sure a quick google search will help :-)

Reply Posted by Miss B on Monday August 4 2014 at 17:50
I'm 30 years old & this year is the 1st time I've ever had hayfever. It's bloody awful.