Eating Disorder Poll Launched To Paint True Picture

Wednesday March 21 2012

eating disorder eating disorder

RESEARCH is underway to discover the true number of people in Barnsley who suffer from eating disorders.

Bekkie Hopwood, who volunteers for the Samaritains, has launched an online survey to get a clear picture as she believes it is more than the statistics suggest.

She is in talks with the NHS about improving care for locals who suffer from disorders like anorexia and bulimia.

She said: "There should be more tailored support for people with eating disordered - it's something I've been saying for years and this is the first time that we've had the opportunity to do something about it

"We want to know exactly who is affected by this because the numbers show that only 43 people in Barnsley are being treated for eating disorders but I think the number of people who have them is much higher.

"I get lots of calls in to Samaritains and we need to show whether there is a problem in Barnley - and if there is that it is not a waste of money to finance it."

To take part in the poll, comment in the box below and share your thoughts or go here

Reply Posted by lara on Thursday March 22 2012 at 12:26
what will a poll achieve people with eating disorders don't even admit they have 1 let alone participate in a poll complete waste of time a resources

Reply Posted by Bigmickster on Thursday March 22 2012 at 15:51
good idea!

Reply Posted by Beckybam92 on Friday March 23 2012 at 11:46
At least someone's tryin Lara. Whole lot of good your going to do if you have kids and they have an eating disorder. It needs improving because kids younger then 10 are now ending up in hospitals to treateating disorders. And before anyone calls me a liar look it up cause I read it on front of a newspaper

Reply Posted by Mrs_chubba77 on Friday March 23 2012 at 16:10
My 11 yr old has been found using slimming pills, we are working together with school to keep a close eye on her, I believe a lot like my daughter are giving in to peer pressure,!!

Reply Posted by Mrs_chubba77 on Friday March 23 2012 at 16:10

Reply Posted by on Friday March 23 2012 at 23:34
32 votes is brilliant your thank you for those who have voted.

Reply Posted by Bekkiehopwood on Saturday March 24 2012 at 09:59
People do not admit it due to ignorance of others.Lara this is only the beginning of a project I know a poll may not seem important but it's baby steps into facilities into your/ this area. Right now commissioners are cresting reports to provide evidence that it will be cost effected to using money towards better eating disorder care. It will not happen over night h fortunatly but it's more than Barnsley had 6 months ago, the very fact it is now being recognised is a step fwd. it cost millions to send patients into in patient eating disorder care hence the argument from pathways.

Reply Posted by Bekkiehopwood on Saturday March 24 2012 at 10:01
People do not admit it due to ignorance of others and to sdmit thet you need help when your mrntsl state of mind has been altered is very scaryLara this is only the beginning of a project I know a poll may not seem important but it's baby steps into facilities into your/ this area. Right now commissioners are cresting reports to provide evidence that it will be cost effected to using money towards better eating disorder care. It will not happen over night h fortunatly but it's more than Barnsley had 6 months ago, the very fact it is now being recognised is a step fwd. it cost millions to send patients into in patient eating disorder care hence the argument from pathways.

Reply Posted by Shopwood on Saturday March 24 2012 at 10:02
Bekkie has done this voluntary & in her own time so she can feed this in to the nhs in Barnsley so they can try to develop better care & understanding/treatment in this area