New Gourmet Burger Eatery To Open In Town Centre

Wednesday July 9 2014

The Arcade The Arcade

A BARNSLEY man is opening a new gourmet burger joint in the town centre later this month.

Daniel Sharp, 36, of Hazelwood, Monk Bretton, applied to Barnsley Council to change the use of 6 The Arcade from a former hairdresser to a 50-seat eatery.

The building - formerly occupied by Toni and Guy - is now in the final stages of its redesign and will open its doors as The 8oz Burger Co on a test day to coincide with the town's vintage festival on July 19, before officially opening on August 1.

The menu, which features 30 gourmet burgers made with locally sourced produce, also promises a 'Man vs Food' option for the big eaters in the town.

"I hope people will start to see that there's no need to venture to Wakefield or Sheffield," Daniel said. "Barnsley is a cracking town. I'd like to think that this and the investment that's being made elsewhere will entice people back into the centre.

"I'm a Barnsley lad and I've seen the town go downhill in the last ten years and I think it's a crying shame.

"We're in the final stages now but we're still after front of house staff, so we'd like applicants to come in for a chat."

What do you think? Are you glad to see something different in the town centre? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Leanne Craven on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 12:38
Will you be looking for any staff?x

Reply Posted by scott on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 12:40
it says it does. perhaps read before commenting?

Reply Posted by Mystery on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 19:05
Nice attitude to give someone showing an interest in working there. Great start

Reply Posted by T on Thursday July 10 2014 at 11:02

Not hard.

Reply Posted by John T on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 12:38
Good on him. I'll be definitely down. Nice to see someone offering something new in the centre.

Reply Posted by Tracey Sharpe on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 12:44
Very good news! Can imagine this being very popular with where it is. College kids will love this place.

Reply Posted by bananas on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 13:07
so well educated scott. give im a banana.

Reply Posted by Henshall street fisheries on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 13:07
All the best with your new business and well done for going to the Arcade its about time to see shops open there instead of to let signs.

Reply Posted by Laura on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 13:40
sounds good to me, il definately be trying it. like it says above, itl be good to have something like this in town and not have to travel to wakefield etc. good luck to Daniel. looking forward to coming to try some good food :-)

Reply Posted by skayleigh on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 13:56
Where and how do u apply for a job

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 14:05
Skayleigh, can you not read? Read the last quote!!!!!

Reply Posted by T on Thursday July 10 2014 at 11:01
By not using 'u' and using 'you'. And also reading the article.

Reply Posted by Noneedatall on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 14:32
There is no need whatsoever for your bitching at people on here. I've never known so many nasty folk in all my days. Good luck with your new restaurant and I'm sure we'll be down to try it out

Reply Posted by 12345 on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 15:56
No body is being nasty, they are just asking people to actually read the article before commenting, simple thing really.

Reply Posted by grinds my gears on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 16:13
Apparently the grill pit is coming to barnsley too, due to get keys to building soon

Reply Posted by clare taylor on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 17:53
I thought we werehaving an American diner in town

Reply Posted by dan birley on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 18:25
Hello there i am interested in coming in for a chat for a vacancy full time or part time i have lots of retail and customer serving experience message me on facebook dan birley.
or if you cant find me please say a good time to pop in :)

Reply Posted by bfc:) on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 18:55
Sorry this has nothing to do with the article but were you from Dan u have same surname as family members and trying to trace old family

Reply Posted by T on Thursday July 10 2014 at 15:59
Hmmmmm, did you not read the article

Daniel Sharp, 36, of Hazelwood, Monk Bretton

Reply Posted by beesness on Thursday July 10 2014 at 22:42
And can YOU not read 'T'? 'bfc' is clearly talking about 'Dan Birley' who posted a comment before theirs - NOT the Dan in the original article.................Dum ass!

Reply Posted by a on Thursday July 10 2014 at 01:00
He's not insisting people go in for man vs food challenges every week. It's ok to have a blow out every now and then. And why not give people the opportunity to have a bit of a laugh too? You could over indulge in any restaurant or cook yourself loads of fatty food at home. So what's the difference? It's not his intention to make people obese. Everyone has a splurge every now and then - why not have a nice gourmet burger joint on our own doorstep when we feel like a treat? This is a great idea and will give us more choice in Barnsley rather than the same old handful of restaurants in the centre.

Reply Posted by Kevin smith on Thursday July 10 2014 at 01:53
Hi, are you looking for any management? I'm currently looking for a new start in a fresh up and coming business. I have lived and worked in Barnsley and would love to send over a copy of my cv or have a quick phone call if possible. Send me an email.
Many thanks

Reply Posted by beeness on Thursday July 10 2014 at 22:44
It says in the article Keith: 'We're in the final stages now but we're still after front of house staff, so we'd like applicants to come in for a chat."

So go for a chat...............

Reply Posted by julie t on Thursday July 10 2014 at 17:00
How do you pply for job?

Reply Posted by beesness on Thursday July 10 2014 at 22:45
AGAIN, its says in the article, We're in the final stages now but we're still after front of house staff, so we'd like applicants to come in for a chat."

Does that answer your question?

Reply Posted by facepalm on Friday July 11 2014 at 11:56
*Facepalm*

Reply Posted by Giz a job on Thursday July 10 2014 at 18:03
But im a vegatarian

Reply Posted by GetOffDole on Friday July 11 2014 at 11:09
'vegetarian'

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday July 11 2014 at 19:19
Best of luck Dan, I regularly frequent the GBK in Manchester and London when i'm down there and always enjoy it.

Just what the town needs something different.

Reply Posted by me on Saturday July 12 2014 at 19:19
The so many aragent ***** on here yes it does say the still wantin staff and to pop in for a chat over it bt what pple want to no is when to go in as it not open yet and the only workers that are doing remodanisin there at min stupid *****

Reply Posted by whos stupid now on Saturday July 12 2014 at 19:37
Haha! With the state of your post @me how can you call other posters stupid? Lots of spelling mistakes, and no punctuation what so ever. Go back to school,then you may get a job or at least be able to post a sensible comment.
Laughable!

Reply Posted by Amy on Sunday July 13 2014 at 12:45
Hello, I have just completed my GCSE's and currently have a lot of spare time on my hands. I have past experience of working in Massarella's cafe / restaurant. I would like to become part of your team and I am able to pop in at any time for a chat!

Reply Posted by Skinny on Sunday July 13 2014 at 16:13
They is Thick then the F@k wits come out of the closet. I would not employ anyone from Barnsley you re such a shower of Dick Heads.you can not read and understand simple instructions. "Pop in for a chat "

The mind boddles.

Reply Posted by bob on Sunday July 13 2014 at 16:34
How do i apply for job vacancy?

Reply Posted by eh? on Sunday July 13 2014 at 23:33
It's Ali G innit? boddles ha ha

Reply Posted by Dee on Monday July 14 2014 at 23:32
Another place selling burgers? Really. Talk a walk up Sheffield Road and tell me we need another "burger joint".

Reply Posted by amymay on Wednesday July 16 2014 at 06:45
well done Dan and best of luck, nice to see a local trying to attract people to Barnsley as it is a shame to see the arcade dead and not lively as it could be especially during the evening! Also well done for choosing to use local produce. I can't wait to see what Barnsley has to show for itself in the future

Reply Posted by Fountain on Wednesday July 23 2014 at 10:26
Er Dee dear - I don't think you can compare what this man is trying to achieve with the offerings in Sheffield Road. When you go to big cities like London you can get posh burgers which have been made by hand containing a high percentage of meat. GBK is one such restaurant, Byron is another. They have been around for years in London.