Council Thanks Residents For Waste Collection Patience

Monday July 14 2014

THE council has thanked residents for their support in embracing the new waste and recycling collection services.

Sweeping changes to the waste and recycling service has seen an interruption to some residents’ collections over the past few months, but this is now being rectified, say the council.

'Important' lessons have been learned and the local authority has acknowledged that they could have prepared better for the effects caused by changing collection days for 75,000 households.

During the last two weeks, 97 per cent of the 42,000 bins emptied each day have been collected.

The service is continuing to review the resources required to deliver a timely service for all Barnsley residents and to develop more efficient working practices.

There was also a huge demand for new recycling bins - around 29,000 in total, which is far more than the council anticipated.

However, some 22,000 bins have been delivered so far and the service continues to deliver around 300 bins per day, with an estimated further three to four weeks of deliveries to complete.

Recycling is on the increase, with a 35 per cent hike in green waste collection last month alone.

Coun Roy Miller said: "Thank you for your continued commitment to recycling. If we continue this upwards trend and reach 55 per cent, a saving of £500,000 could be made in waste disposal costs.

"The more full recycling bins you put out the more we can protect other valuable council services."

Reply Posted by rachel farmer on Monday July 14 2014 at 14:10
Im still waiting for blue bin since feb and everytime i phone up my request seems to have disappeared

Reply Posted by anon on Monday July 14 2014 at 16:31
@rachel, Ive got the same problem. Ive been told today that we can go pick up a new one ourselves. Take your council tax bill as proof of ID. We do have the transport needed,but not many do. On that note,obviously the bins are at the depot,its the distribution thats the problem. Waiting since Feb is bad. They,ve made a cock up big time,and Mr.Miller is oblivious to it,or he is one hell of a wind up merchant putting out statements like the one above. I think he,s laughing at the lot of us.

Reply Posted by Jay on Monday July 14 2014 at 17:45
Yeah same here, and i agree completely, I emailed him and got the most dreadfull response, no explanations no remorse just blunt!

Reply Posted by . on Wednesday July 16 2014 at 12:36
same here

Reply Posted by Margaret on Monday July 14 2014 at 14:39
Embraced it I certainly haven't embraced it what planet are they living on cloud cuckoo land comes to mind they are the most inept council I know

Reply Posted by grinds my gears on Monday July 14 2014 at 14:42
What about the 3 wagons they took off the road to save money, if your bins don't get picked up on time the favourite answer is a wagon broke down. What happened to the 3 wagons, were they sold, if not why not used as replacements?

Reply Posted by D1 FEL on Monday July 14 2014 at 14:49
How patronising!
We haven't 'embraced' the new system, we've had it inflicted upon us against our wills.
I am now putting all my waste except my garden waste into my black bin as instructed by the council. This includes all my cardboard, glass & tin which prior to the fabulous new system was re-cycled

They call this progress? What a joke.

Reply Posted by Jay on Monday July 14 2014 at 17:46
you must be a magician!!!! i cant fit anything else in my black bin and have a garage full of cardboard that they jsut wont collect when put out... dont get why it makes a differnce wether its in a bin or not, its card board its not heavy or dirty!

Reply Posted by paul on Monday July 14 2014 at 15:08
Still a joke green bin day last Thursday and council on strike. Everyone still has green bins out and to top it off the dust bin wagon pulled up on street for half hour not doing anything once it had gonw saw grass on road so thought they had emptied the bins but nope they just sat and tossed it off

Reply Posted by cheryl on Monday July 14 2014 at 16:12
Lets give councillor miller and his councill some bonus points for not knowing about simple arithmetic for the figures quoted. On my calculations the figures show a shortfall of 8000 bin collections per week no wonder they get behind. Also regarding the 29000 demand for bigger bins surely the Muppets who advised the demand must have the same competance of the those who are claiming the thanks for their residents support.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday July 14 2014 at 16:38
I have to laugh at WAB,s reports sometimes. "sweeping changes" . Someone on here hits my funny bone regularly with the choice of words. Keep up the banter WAB,it lightens the tone abit, especially on something as rubbish as this subject.

Reply Posted by Liza on Monday July 14 2014 at 16:39
I agree anon I think mr miller is sat laughing at us all and that statement they have sent out is so patronising to be honest I don't think we should have to fetch our own bins they changed the system so they should have made sure everyone had the bins before it changed but obviously they haven't got a brain cell between them

Reply Posted by anon on Monday July 14 2014 at 16:45
Yes Liza with a zee. We shouldnt have to bring our own bins,but Im sick of waiting for mine to be replaced, so needs must and all of that. It may help Rachel to get hers sooner if I take myself off the list. Ah well!

Reply Posted by Jay on Monday July 14 2014 at 17:43
Embrace? ..... everyone is complaining at how bad it is...Full? they are more than full... they are over flowing because you cut the amount of collections!!!! we are not INCREASING recycling green waste!!!! ITS F***ing summer! people cut trees and grass in summer!!!! is someone playing stupid or what?

Reply Posted by jc on Monday July 14 2014 at 17:57
Its disgusting we never know what day their coming to collect the bins. I live in a block of flats and had no rubbiah emptied in 3 weeks and neither as the street next to her. Now we are finding people from across the road are dumping their rubbish in our bins and making our bin area dangerous smelly. Phoned the council to be told they will be sorted as soon as they can a week later and its still their are rubbish plus other people from the other street.

Reply Posted by peter on Monday July 14 2014 at 19:22
Just seen a local councillor looking round our estate. She was reporting a grey bin for being on street to HQ. It didn't matter there was all sorts of rubbish on the street,over grown gardens,drinking on street and foul language & loud music being played. I suppose its all a penalty fir living in Goldthorpe. What can you di about it Mrs Noble nothing I guess.

Reply Posted by 4ft11andshrinking on Tuesday July 15 2014 at 08:38
I had to go to pick my brown bin up, and as a tax payer and council tax payer too, I was not at all impressed!

Reply Posted by Joe Wadsworth on Tuesday July 15 2014 at 17:14
Barnsley MBC, Waste disposal, WHAT A WASTE OF SPACE!

Reply Posted by Nic on Tuesday July 15 2014 at 17:34
They take advantage of us because you vote for them, or don't bother to vote at all. We're in this situation because they know their jobs are safe as 'VOTE LABOUR COS OF MINER'S STRIKE' attitude rules in Barnsley, so does ignorance & apathy. They will continue to take the P*** & we'll all still pay our Council Tax, for poor service. They're laughing at us all.

Reply Posted by milly on Wednesday July 16 2014 at 07:45
I have been waiting for two bins since xmas I am not going to pick them up from wherever I am going to start and put any access that wont go in my so called coloured bins in my grey bin. why should I bother any more when you look around our streets all you see is rows of stinking overfull bins for god sake someone get it sorted pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Reply Posted by Deano on Wednesday July 16 2014 at 08:19
I agree with Nic about the safe seat voting. What a joke, bins are no longer adequate for the infrequent collections and council not interested in supplying large bins.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Wednesday July 16 2014 at 09:13
To all them that's still waiting for bins to come phone 787898 and tell them u want to make a complaint about not getting u bin I phoned Friday an the phoned me back Monday and I got my bins Tuesday

Reply Posted by phil on Wednesday July 16 2014 at 10:07
We pay our tax, we pay our council tax. The council fail to provide a service that they are being paid for. Same as cowboy builders.

Reply Posted by maxine on Sunday July 20 2014 at 19:06
They are a disgrace this has been going on for months

Reply Posted by David Massey on Sunday July 20 2014 at 19:08
What the Council mean by 'Embracing the New Waste Collection Service', is that they are truly thankful that angry residents who are fed up of their incompetence in getting WASTE ACTUALLY COLLECTED, haven't marched on their offices and emptied 2 months worth of stinking, maggot infested household waste into them!

Reply Posted by kay on Sunday July 20 2014 at 19:12
Same here been waiting months for a green bin as ours got nicked wen we put it out for emptying were having to either try to fit garden waste in grey bin or stockpile it up

Reply Posted by Marc on Sunday July 20 2014 at 19:51
Recycling....we do the recycling....sorting out which bin it goes in, so I think that we should get a council tax refund and the reduced fee, doing their job for the council.

Reply Posted by Taxpayer on Sunday July 20 2014 at 20:04
If the Council can't provide bigger bins - particularly the brown bin for tins, then at the very least they should provide every household with a can crusher. Any surplus of mine now goes in the grey bin I'm afraid. Very poor service indeed! The bins are inadequate for a family of 4.

Reply Posted by Pissed off on Sunday July 20 2014 at 20:05
I call bullshit on this one

Reply Posted by rf on Sunday July 20 2014 at 21:31
2 lorrys at flouch round about on tour de france duty on sunday double time eh

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday July 21 2014 at 08:10
I still haven,t had my green bin emptied from 2weeks ago and I ordered a blue n brown 4/5 months ago and still have not received them.so don't be complaining to me when there are wrong things in my bin fact it's a disgrace.

Reply Posted by sid on Monday July 21 2014 at 16:58
Hi Lisa, I suggest if theres any way you could collect your new bins you should. The bins are there,I went for mine,just take a council tax bill as ID. I know its not the ideal thing to do and you may not be able,but you could be waiting longer. I phoned the refuse department a number off times,to be told all kinds of things.
They had me on the list,but didnt know what bins I needed.
They would be delivered on Monday...never came.
They didnt have a list!!
And so it went on. I have in the past tried to look sympathetically at the situation,but Im afraid to say the system dosnt work. Its broken,so come on BMBC fix it. Hope you can collect yours Lisa,then its a problem solved. If you cant,then hope you get sorted soon,but for heavens sake dont hold your breath...oooops,sorry you may be doing that already due to stinky rubbish collecting around your garden. Good luck.

Reply Posted by Mike Lee on Monday July 21 2014 at 16:12
Have just been down to Smithies depot with my now twice-weekly recycle drop only to find the Glass Containers are blocked off. Why - I asked? Cos the council haven't collected them!!!???. So for all those calling Miller for being inefficient - spare a thought for him - He can't even get his own house in order!!btw - I was offered the opportunity to "Take them somewhere else - or back home" So back home they are. That's right Barnsley residents make sure you keep voting Labour and keep these people in!!!!

Reply Posted by Disillusioned on Monday July 21 2014 at 23:50
As I stated some weeks ago, I was 100% behind recycling. But now I put everything in the grey bin, simply because it's the only one I rely on.

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 06:59
The grey blue and brown bins and the paper sack should be collected fortnightly.
I'm definitely recycling less which I feel guilty about but have little choice. Not everyone has space for bigger bins, my compact outdoor space which I tend and nurture is not going to be turned into a mini recycling centre. I have neither the time nor means to be carting smelly rubbish to the tip myself.
Get your act together Barnsley council, I pay over a thousand pounds a year council tax and I want a refuse collection service that's fit for purpose.

Reply Posted by Pissed off on Tuesday July 22 2014 at 14:17
So the council has messed up the schools, messed up bin collection, wasted money on statues, killed the town centre, employed untrained litter nazis, messed up grass cutting killing the grass, wasted money on funded visits to Italy for "research", wasted money trying to make a halo round the town, wated money an failed broad band ideas and now wants to help force house prices down even more. Why the Fuuck do people still vote labour in