Thousands To Receive Support Ahead Of Winter

Friday July 4 2014

THOUSANDS of Barnsley residents will have the chance to receive support in replacing their boiler ahead of winter.

Some 8,000 properties are eligible, both owner-occupied and private rented. These residents are being sent letters notifying them of the scheme.

The Barnsley Council initiative has been designed to help people living in cold or damp houses and those suffering from fuel poverty.

Once residents register their interest an assessment will be carried out by one of three partner contractors, who will then carry out the boiler replacement work.

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesperson for place, said: "We hope that the scheme will also have a positive effect on the Barnsley economy as people will have a little more disposable income thanks to savings made on their fuel bills."

Reply Posted by costly on Friday July 4 2014 at 13:46
this is all very well ,but how much will a boiler change cost , im thinking well above the actual cost of replacement, would be nice to know

Reply Posted by cheryl on Friday July 4 2014 at 14:48
Councillor Miller again spending money bmbc have not got and getting the headlines. I am sure he lives in another world or is the fall guy for bmbc. Wake up Barnsley lets get these useless Muppets out

Reply Posted by Neil on Friday July 4 2014 at 16:07
Ere ere Cheryl big bosses big wagers big bonuses lets av a revamp from the top then us on low wages me included for BMBC might just keep our jobs.

Reply Posted by True red on Friday July 4 2014 at 19:56
It's a good idea mr miller but if people can not afford the gas what's the point in putting in a new boiler the only freeze I want to see for the people of Barnsley is on electric and gas prices

Reply Posted by Andrew on Friday July 4 2014 at 22:09
There is a government scheme that is funding this so the money does not come from BMBC, but they are helping identify the people who are suitable. Most of these people would not be in fuel poverty if the government capped fuel prices

Reply Posted by rainbow on Sunday July 6 2014 at 08:37
Typical Miller logic, spend £2000 on a house to reduce the gas bill by £25 a year.?

Reply Posted by m.stones on Tuesday July 8 2014 at 17:36
Does this apply to council houses mine is old system costs me a fortune to heat my house

Reply Posted by guy fawkez on Wednesday July 9 2014 at 08:22
The pensioners need every penny an increase in the heating allowance wouldn't go a miss Ryan air and easy jet have just put cost of flights up to tennereef,and that cheeky Spanish bloke in the local tobacco shop has just put his prices up,free travel on local transport would also help the gin and tonics nearly doubled.

Reply Posted by val on Sunday July 13 2014 at 11:20
marvelous,i am still on old back boiler system and costs a small fortune in winter

Reply Posted by diane on Sunday July 13 2014 at 12:13
Good ive still got old copper tank in takes ages to heat water, no good when you're working.

Reply Posted by nikki on Sunday July 13 2014 at 15:50
Thats all good and well but what about people who have their own home. My home is damp cold and in bad condition and I certainly cant afford a new boiler but because I work and I am not on any benefits I wont qualifie even though I am on a low income were is my help