Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Man Fatally Poisoned By Disposable Barbecue

Thursday July 3 2014




A BARNSLEY man who was found dead in his home is believed to have been poisoned - by a disposable barbecue.

Police and fire crews broke into the terraced house on Tune Street on June 22 at around 6.30pm after concerns were raised by relatives.

Inside they found the body of 53-year-old Stephen Waddington and close by discovered the remains of a burnt out disposable barbecue.

Post mortem and toxicology tests have been carried out and an inquest opened and adjourned.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire Service warned disposal barbecues should never be lit or taken indoors.

He said: "Disposable barbecues give off carbon monoxide when being used and continue to do so until they're completely cold.

"Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas that, even in relatively small quantities, prevents blood from providing essential oxygen to cells, tissues, and organs.

"Exposure to carbon monoxide in enclosed spaces often causes drowsiness and the victims fall asleep unaware of the poisonous gas that's killing them.

"Once lit, a disposable barbecue should never be taken inside a tent or other enclosed space for any reason. After use, a disposable barbecue should be left outside to cool down and, once completely cold, disposed of appropriately."

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
6 Showing 6 comments

Reply Posted by john on Thursday July 3 2014 at 15:24
A Friend and good neighbour, RIP mate our thoughts go out to all your family.

Reply Posted by scientist on Thursday July 3 2014 at 16:05
Carbon monoxide isn't poisonous... It is lethal because it replaces the oxygen in your bloodstream so you would actually die of suffocation. However the fact still remains that barbecues should be lit outside.

Reply Posted by A proper scientist on Thursday July 3 2014 at 16:21
Carbon Monoxide IS poisonous, fool.

Reply Posted by Another proper scientist on Thursday July 3 2014 at 19:31
I agree with the proper scientist! Of course it IS poisonous you pedantic cretin, check the definition of poison before you spout off any more irrelevant tripe...

poison
ˈpɔɪz(ə)n/
noun
1.
a substance that is capable of causing the illness or death of a living organism when introduced or absorbed.
"he killed himself with poison"

Reply Posted by Lol on Thursday July 3 2014 at 22:22
^^ WAB in a nutshell there folks!

Reply Posted by Jon Doh on Tuesday July 8 2014 at 08:20
Must have taken some digesting