News » WAB Debate

Parents Should Ban Fruit Juice, Experts Claim

Monday June 30 2014

'EXPERTS' have said parents should ban juice from the dinner table, saying that kids should only be given water or milk to reduce obesity, diabetes and heart disease rates.

According to 'senior government advisers', most parents understand that sweet drinks are harmful but many wrongly believe fruit juice is healthy.

Professor Tom Sanders, head of diabetes at King's College in London, said kids should be getting their fluid from water and parents should start putting a jug of water on the table.

What do you think to this? After the recent news that the government is to crack down on fatty and sweet foods in school, is this one too far? Or do you agree? Do you put encourage your kids to drink water? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by Red on Monday June 30 2014 at 13:10
Poor kids. When will it stop?

Reply Posted by pop on Monday June 30 2014 at 14:22
The manufacturers of these products should be made to take more responsibility.The sugar content should be clearly marked, the amount of sugar in everything these days is ridiculous.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Monday June 30 2014 at 18:13
Simple the government grows some and just ban the crap that's causing all the obesity rotten teeth in the end prevention is better than cure.the NHS won't be able to afford or cope with this ticking time bomb.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday June 30 2014 at 20:17
My children have juice with their tea and that's it they brush there teeth twice a day and go to dentist every 6 months and the dentist say they have lovely teeth and they eat sweets and chocolate but I control the amount and control when they have them. Kids teeth end up getting rotten when parents just let there kids eat what they want when they want and when patents don't make sure they brush there teeth it's simple really don't have to ban treats and juice drinks just have control on what they eat and drink

Reply Posted by Rob on Monday June 30 2014 at 20:23
Ban sugar Guy?! Really?

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 07:31
Dear rob if you and I can see the obesity issue spiraling as it is surely someone namely the government the people you elect should care about your wellbeing hence get rid of this crap ,as regards sugary drinks ban the lot this stuff in schools can cause hyperactivity.

Reply Posted by Fi on Monday June 30 2014 at 20:34
I'm more concerned by the obesity issue rather than teeth. The amount of sugar in everyday foods is a SCANDAL.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday June 30 2014 at 21:30
Well,if they eat mass sugar an thier teeth rot an fall out,they won't be able to scoff so they then won't get fat. Leave the sugar alone,its a win win situation!

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday June 30 2014 at 21:12
That's a simple solution aswell cook fresh everyday, I shop at aldi there fresh fruit and veg are so cheap and really good quality. Don't use packets, tins and jar foods it so easy to make meals from fresh.

Reply Posted by Joolz on Monday June 30 2014 at 21:38
It appears anon is mentally ill and certainly doesn't have kids.

Reply Posted by anon on Monday June 30 2014 at 21:54
No joolz, my point is, probably put too sarcy, that we all know that sugary drinks and cakes and chocolates are bad for us and our kids,but still some people don't care. Some won't and don't care , and as for labelling everything,do we really need to be told that chocolate, biscuits,pizzas are no good? People need to take responsibility for what they stuff in their faces. Self restraint, self respect, and common sense are words that spring to mind.

Reply Posted by Fi on Monday June 30 2014 at 22:20
The point being people do not know the amount of sugar put into everyday things our kids eat. Breakfast cereals, ANY fruit juice. The low- fat crisps for example, maybe low in fat but they add sugar so they taste as nice. SCANDAL.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 11:32
Or why don't parents like myself and others check what they are giving their children check the sugar, fats etc contents or simply cook fresh without using tins, jars or pa keys product and if you give a child a treat then control the amount they have daily, weekly or even on a monthly basis it's not rocket science people

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 11:32
Ments to say pocketed products

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 11:33
Obesity is down to lazyness where parents cant be bothered to cook healthy nutritional meals instead they get chips nuggets and beans followed by sweets and pop etc. They shouldnt be banned just controlled and gave as a treat not everyday!

Reply Posted by Fi on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 12:28
Of course you should control what you give your kids; goes without saying. But your missing the point completlely.

Reply Posted by pop on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 13:36
So obesity is down to laziness? That must be one of the most lazy, ill-informed comments seen on WAB. The preachers with their simplistic 'soloutions' missing the point as usual.

Reply Posted by sally on Monday September 15 2014 at 02:33
lazyness is a contributing factor, but obesity is the direct result of greed and its as simple as that.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 14:07
She's right, you don't excersise your goin to get fat you fill your face with McDonald's, chinese, chips and many other fatty foods yeah your going to get fat. Obesity is due to people sitting on their backsides and eating crap and not exercising on a regular basis I eat a cheeky McDonalds or a cheeky Chinese on a weekend but I'm still a healthy 8.5st because I excersise go to gym if I didn't then yeah I'd be fat. Kids sit there eating sweets crisps and fuzzy pop playing on their PlayStation or Xboxes or watching telly that's why they get fat cos their not outside exploring goin on bike rides or even half hour down at your local park joining a football team doing anything to get that blood pumping around their bodies it's so important that people realise you don't get fat by exercising that how you stay healthy I don't see why they should ban juice etc as parents should be more controlling and educated on what they giving their children to eat the main reason why I check everything I give my kids is because I love them and want them to live a healthy happy long life and the comment of " preacherwith simplistic soloutions" is aimed at me then fair enough but at least my family is healthy and are going to live a happy healthy long life plus I don't see you commenting with a useful information just trying to put people comments down.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 16:36
Doesn't it cost to be members of these gyms

Reply Posted by Daveboy on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 14:17
WAB headline........ "Experts should be banned, says parents"
What do you think ?

Reply Posted by pop on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 14:25
I wasn't having a go at you Lauren, if you see my first comment you'll know what i'm on about. Now I'm just going to bang my head against a brick wall.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 17:19
Yes it does but I work hard to pay for my gym membership I know some people can't afford a gym membership but it doesn't cost you anything to go for a jog round the block or th mong up and down the stairs or even buying a DVD and sweating it out in your front room or even getting outside in back garden and playing chase or football or skipping with the kids not hard to excersise people make too many excuses up but it's down to pure laziness I work in a school but still find the time to go to gym

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 17:20
Was ment to say running up and down the stairs

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 19:18
What if you're on the top floor of the plaza or in a bungalow

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 17:23
Also I know a few of my friends who joined a stop smoking clinic at the hospital and once they completed it they got a month's free gym membership and once the got the into going to the gym they saved the money that they use to spend on cigs to pay for their gym membership

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 19:24
Too right I am, I love my kids and want the best for my kids, just because I look after my kids properly and want the best for does not mean you have the right to take the ****. So what if I control everything my child eats and drinks I have to any way because they have eczema and certain things in their diet causes my children's exzema to flair up plus they both have nut allergies so I have to be really careful so take the **** all you want me and my kids will live long happy live while your fill your faces with pre packeted food, tinned and jars of crap. Oh by the way I am no Gwyneth paltrow just a good mum who looks after her kids and loves them to bits. What's wrong with that? Nothing!

Reply Posted by Fi on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 19:52
As fascinating as your lifestyle and shopping habits are Lauren have you not heard of the term ' the bigger picture'? So you think it's ok food manufacturers can shove as much sugar in their products as they want? To your reasoning it's nothing to do with that, just people stuffing their faces.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 19:54
I understand that guy that's why I said for people who can excersise and I know a few people who have thyroid problems and didn't know about it until recently having some test and are on medication for it now and the weight is literally dropping off them but they too are now excersising on a regular basis as they didn't before because no matter what they ate and did they weight just kept piling on them so they gave up and just got bigger and bigger. So I'm not totally insensitive my comment where mainly aimed for the bone idle parents who can't be bothered to look after their kids as well as themselves.

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 20:02
Where in my comments have I said it's ok for manufacturers to produce sugar filled drinks and sweets etc.... No where I was not on about I was on about controlling what you eat and if you read my comments properly I have said don't buy pre packeted foods, tins and jar products make everything from scratch I see the bigger pictures hence I practice what I preach as they say and yes if people didn't stuff there faces with sugar filled foods and other sugar filled products they would be fat now would they also excersising play a big part in it

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 20:03
Wouldn't be fat ment to say

Reply Posted by lauren on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 21:20
Not self obsessed proud of the fact I make sure my kids eat healthy and are physically fit n your moaning over that and you be moanin if I was saying oh I feed my kids these types bad food and it's not bad for um there's nothing wrong with sugar filled food and manufactured food so either way can't win so yeah your boring me trying drag some one down for caring about my kids n their health what's up love bit jealous cos I care don't no what wrong with anything I've put maybe the fact that your just being a cow for being a cow sakes like I said understand your moaning if I was disagreeing but am not simply saying COOK FRESH!

Reply Posted by Fi on Tuesday July 1 2014 at 21:32
I wasn't having a go at you, just saying the problem isn't that simple. I applaud how you do things right and yes more people could do more. My gripe is with the food producers filling products with all that ***** and not being accountable.

Reply Posted by Jj on Friday July 4 2014 at 20:01
Sugar and fatty foods has been around for years and back in the 70/80s they wasn't a lot of obesity in schools and do you know why there is now because of technology they are in the bed rooms on computers , iPhones , ect and not out playing no more , running around , skipping ect . That's what it is not the food or sweets and drinks that's been around for years technology hasn't .

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Friday July 4 2014 at 21:27
You are, what you EAT.

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday July 4 2014 at 22:20
Dr Debate- You say you are what you eat?

I had bacon sarnie at 8am, I am a pig

jacket spud and beans 1300 pm. I am a spud bean.

for tea . salad and a nice piece of beef. iam a salad cow.

I don't understand what you mean? I am the same person no matter what I eat..

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday July 7 2014 at 09:27
That's a different Lauren not the Lauren who has commented about healthy eating and plenty of excersise and limiting the amount of treats you give your children

Reply Posted by Trev on Monday July 7 2014 at 15:39
That's a very good point Jj.

Reply Posted by Diane-great houghton on Monday July 7 2014 at 18:11
when we were kids we ate "bad things" but we played out and ran it all off, kids today eat "bad things " but stay in on computer/games consoles so they not gettin a chance to keep fit, its parents to blame