Scores Of People Attend Skate Park's Official Opening

Thursday June 26 2014

Hoyle Mill skate park Hoyle Mill skate park

OVER 200 people attended the official opening of a new skate park in Barnsley.

Team Extreme, made up of professional skateboarders, BMXers and inline skaters, performed at the event at Hoyle Mill.

One of the performers was Barnsley’s very own Jenna Dowling, an inline skater who is a 10-time British champion.

The park has been funded by £100,000 Section 106 housing development money.

Have you used the park's facilities? What do you think? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday June 26 2014 at 10:22
I was there with my son and this was well attended. Its also worth noting that kids and adults alike thought this was a great thing, however it needs more bins and for some could have been a larger park ;-)

Reply Posted by AndyB on Thursday June 26 2014 at 11:08
It did look good/tidy for the opening but when will the council come again to empty the litter bins n cut grass? As they only cut it the week b4 so it looked good for the opening! The council cannot even empty the bins down there on a regular basis so why do something like this if there is no intention to keep it up? The rest of Dearne valley is a disgrace thanks to this shower of ***** we all call the council

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Thursday June 26 2014 at 11:16
Your right, cutting grass and emptying bins are down to the council. However the users of the park (young, old, male & female), should also take responsibility for the crap they leave!
I can also understand the lack of grass cutting in certain areas - cost less and better for the wildlife but paths and well used areas should be cut

Reply Posted by dan birley on Thursday June 26 2014 at 23:25
we do take responsibility (speaking for the older end) we sweep the park once per week with big brushes and some even take bags of rubbish home to dispose of so please do not be judgemental

Reply Posted by dedatodd on Friday June 27 2014 at 09:18
Apologies Dan, my comment about the park wasn't in reference to the skate park, it was the whole of the area. I know you clean it up, I have seen it. My son is down there regularly and he knows how to use a bin ;-)
All the lads that skate I have come across are good lads and want to keep this place clean. However, it has to be said that there are 'kids' around that area that don't clean up their 'sh%t' and I am afraid that all then get tar'd with the same brush... pity that tar'ing doesn't work the other way with older generations ... keep up the good work fella.

Reply Posted by AndyB on Thursday June 26 2014 at 12:07
I agree with what you say regarding people moving there rubbish! But the problem isn't people leaving it where it is, most put it in the bins but the bins are overflowing and the wildlife pull it out on a night lookin for food. I wonder if there is many places in cawthorne that's been left for the wildlife (budget cutts)...!!! And I bet they still blow grass cuttings off footpaths after they cut grass there we are lucky to get it cut

Reply Posted by Cal on Thursday June 26 2014 at 13:09
I hope the opening of this park doesn’t attract certain types of people as it does in the parks in Leeds etc.

The place is a nice peaceful place to take young one to go feed the ducks and a go on he swings.

Might be a place to avoid if attracts the wrong sort which skate parks can attract which will be a shame due to the area I live.

Hopefully though it will be looked after and have volunteers to keep the piece.

Reply Posted by dan birley on Thursday June 26 2014 at 23:27
us older folk keep the park safe and tidy so no wrong sorts will be coming down anytime soon the older end rnges from 19-50 there are alot us us

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday June 26 2014 at 23:42
Good on you and your pals Dan! There's some dirtypigs out there. I tidied kids area at cudworth park today. Some trog left their lunch dregs all over,about 5 steps from the bin! Council were cutting the grass and they blew the cuttings off the paths AndyB.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday June 27 2014 at 17:37
I am all for the skate park. Kids need something to keep them out of trouble,
I do have issues with BMBC and in particular the ignorant councillor Brough !! How can they preach to residents about taking pride in your area, organising litter picks etc, etc, Surley this is down to the council, how can people be expected to be prode of a potentially fantastic park who's grass is 3 foot high and not maintained !! AndyB makes a good point, would this happen in Cawthorne? Absolutely not !!!!
And as for councillor Brough derriding residents for not joing in the litter pick, some people actually work, she's done nothing whatso ever for the area, just wants to get her ugly mug in on any photo opportunity !!!