Takeaway Delivery Hero Goes National

Wednesday June 25 2014

Munchie Man Munchie Man

BARNSLEY superhero Munchie Man is spreading his wings and opening two new franchises of his delivery service.

Paul Appleby started his business collecting and delivering McDonald's, KFC and other takeaway food in February.

It quickly flourished following massive interest on Facebook, boosted by his story appearing in the Chronicle and We Are Barnsley when McDonald's banned him from its restaurant.

"It's been absolutely overwhelming," said Paul, 41, of Intake Crescent, Dodworth.

His Munchies Van brand will have two new franchises as he re-brands an existing service in Southport known as CBA Deliveries, and is setting up another service in Coventry with a businessman there who already runs a parcel courier service.

"It's all very exciting and I just can't believe how quickly it's all happened," Paul added.

Two people now work on his Barnsley franchise, run by Karl Clifton, which regularly takes up to 40 orders a night.

Customers browse the menus on his website, order and pay for their food and a minimum of £4.50 delivery per order.

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 11:56
Well done Munchies man! I love this story. Take my hat of to this fella.

Reply Posted by Zoe on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 12:06
It's always nice to see a happy story and someone doing well for themselves. Well done :-)

Reply Posted by maxine on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 12:08
I don't use this service but it sounds like a good idea and there's obviously a market for it. Pity that Mcdonald's are missing out on sales by banning him from ordering there lol. I do wonder if the delivery charge of £4.50 will be reduced as the more popular the service gets? But... when hunger strikes I guess some will pay anything lol :)

Reply Posted by Gimp on Sunday June 29 2014 at 21:23
I doubt it, petrol is expensive and they need to make a profit on top.

Reply Posted by John on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 12:29
how the hell can Mcdonalds ban some one for bringing them so much business.

Reply Posted by amy on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 12:33
I think its a brill idea what they've done. I've never used it but a few on my street have and to see kids faces light up when a superheroes on street is a picture. Well done and good luck guys :)

Reply Posted by Jimmy on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 13:13
I thought that the McDonalds ban had been overturned? Either that or his van at McDonalds the other day was a figment of my imagination. At £4.50 a delivery though, surely his customers could just get out and buy a proper meal instead of processed rubbish?

Reply Posted by Blue sky on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 14:49
He is peddling junk food etc to lazy people who cannot be bothered to buy prepare cook or give their kids decent food. I cannot for the life of me think why so many of ypu think it is good or clever.

Reply Posted by Chris on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 14:52
I agree with blue sky, he might as well start delivering cigarettes and super strength lager!!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 17:19
I too hate takeaways,but folk buy them so that's a different story. Its the guys entrepreneurial mind set I like. Good on him.

Reply Posted by Come on on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 18:18
Theres already booze cruiser for that, get with the times man

Reply Posted by Jack Manterfield on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 15:06
Moan, moan, moan! Some people are so envious. Yes I agree that its not the most healthy thing in the world, but don't forget that people have a choice in what they wish to eat. This guy has seen a gap in the market. Congratulations munchies man.

Reply Posted by @chris & bluesky on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 17:37
all you two are, is bitter. you are watching someone make loads of money from nothing and your thinking "why didint i think of that" good for you munchie man, keep up the good work

Reply Posted by me on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 18:15
Know him personally. Have done years. Not a very pleasant person

Reply Posted by Me 2 on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 19:10
Me, I've known him for years too and I totally disagree with you, Paul is very fair minded and to be honest couldn't wish for a better person to be receiving this acknowledgement. Seems that you are either jealous of the attention or have your own agenda to slander the man? But then again that's the mentality of some folk can't see a decent fellow human being trying to make a positive successful step lets all jump on the band wagon and slate him ?!
I'm proud to know Paul and happy he's been successful. Good luck with everything may the super positive vibes be with you Munchie Man!!

Reply Posted by Mickey mouse on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 19:51
Top lad self made n not given to him its a good idea that's paying off at least he's got off his ar£% n earning a living n not doing anything illegally........ Good look

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 21:11
I CONCUR!

Reply Posted by Barry Conlon on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 20:19
Oooooh there's some bitter b@stards on here.. Jealous to death.

Reply Posted by Nic on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 20:59
Good on him, great vision. Those who've commented negatively are more than likely envious, lazy dolies.

Reply Posted by jessie on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 22:03
Only short time ago he was getting an award and giving business up. Yes he is getting off his behind but he also helps run his wife's business so how it does it all amazes me

Reply Posted by Dr Debate on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 22:49
This guy deserves all the success for the future. Support local business dose not matter what he delivers he has shown true grit and determination to go alone.

Good luck to the future your wife and family should be proud of your vision. You deserve to succeed.

Reply Posted by Natasha on Thursday June 26 2014 at 02:43
My kids love mc donnals derived to door good on ya munchie man x

Reply Posted by Jim on Thursday June 26 2014 at 08:55
£4.50 delivery? Jeez, I thought people in Barnsley were skint?

Reply Posted by Well said Jim on Thursday June 26 2014 at 09:14
I have heard it all now.

How is he a Barnsley superhero? Has he rescued some child from a burning wreckage or something like that? No he's ripping off vulnerable fatties with his £4.50 delivery charge Jim.

More fool the folk who pay those prices.

Reply Posted by Jealousy? on Thursday June 26 2014 at 13:16
I'm sorry but what right do you have to criticise this man? They're not saying he's a genuine hero, they're just admiring his creativity to spontaneity. If people are willing to pay the charge then why not use it for his own benefit? I'm sure you would do the same. And as for the 'vulnerable fatties' I'm sure they're completely capable of choosing what they wish to eat, if they want to pay the price; they will do so.

Reply Posted by graham on Thursday June 26 2014 at 09:56
how many of these fatties are on benefits?

Reply Posted by phil on Thursday June 26 2014 at 11:45
well said - Graham

Reply Posted by Normandy on Thursday June 26 2014 at 11:12
Graham - stereotype much?

Reply Posted by Blue sky on Friday June 27 2014 at 17:15
I dont know him and I am not jealous of a man who dresses like that and who rips off the poorest and fatest in the town. Regardless of if he is a nice person or not.

If he was making money for charity then great but he is not. Just a self employed cash scrounger like most nusiness men. It wont last as the customers wont either.

Reply Posted by Fred on Friday June 27 2014 at 18:03
It's not rocket science that most of his customers are unemployed or low income. They more than likely can't afford a car hence they have to use his service.

Shame on Munchie Man for charging £4.50+.

Reply Posted by me on Friday June 27 2014 at 18:21
Makes a change he isnt doing anything illegal, mickey mouse

Reply Posted by lauren on Friday June 27 2014 at 18:52
I really love this article n some of the comments. Yes he's making money off a bunch of lazy sods who can't be bothered to cook but at least he's doing something that's legal he could be a drug dealer or something on them lines. I don't think it's good idea cos it advertising unhealthy eating but then on the other hand I think of all them night nurses n police n others who work late on at night n think yeah it's not a bad idea n as for someone saying thought Barnsley fowk were skint there's people all over the nation who are skint that's life not everybody is minted

Reply Posted by anon on Sunday June 29 2014 at 21:12
All the more reason to applause the guy, he's turned his life around. Respect!

Reply Posted by Becca on Sunday June 29 2014 at 21:25
Brilliant idea! Kids having a birthday party at home would love a super hero turning up with their food, im sure. Good luck, hope its a great success. X

Reply Posted by me on Monday June 30 2014 at 08:01
so ppl that order are lazy r they, so ur telling me that none of you lot that say it have never in your life ordered a takeaway from some where. yeah right get a grip stop judging other ppl as nothing to do with you and get on with your own life!!!!!!!!! SAD

Reply Posted by Eat healthy on Monday June 30 2014 at 19:30
You don't have to pay £4.50 or more either me when you have a takeaway delivered. They should rename him *Dodgy Man*.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday June 30 2014 at 20:32
Now I didn't say that did I, no, I said a bunch of lazy sods who can't be bothered to cook n yeah on rare occasions when I can't be bothered to cook, yeah I have ordered a takeaway but that's mainly when I've been really busy at work running around after 32 kids in school n I've got up at 5am n only just get back in at 8.30pm writing school reports aswell as being part of after school activities which I did say in my comment above that in a way I do think it's good for night nurses etc so I am not judging any one just saying it how it is n plus 4.50 delivery charge. No need to get all high horses about the comment I posted earlier.

Reply Posted by Gemma Haigh on Monday December 21 2015 at 01:17