News » WAB Debate

Major School Dinners Shake-Up Announced - A WAB Debate

Tuesday June 17 2014

THE government is cracking down on fatty and sweet foods in schools, allowing pupils just two portions each week, while milk will once again be introduced during the school day.

Pupils will only be offered two portions of deep-fried, battered and breadcrumb-coated foods each week.

Chocolate and confectionary will be completely banned from school canteens and their tuck shops.

The new rules, outlined by education secretary Michael Gove, will come into force in January and will be mandatory in all maintained schools, as well as new academies and free schools.

Other requirements are:

• One or more portions of vegetables or salad to be served as an accompaniment every day.

• At least three different fruits, and three different vegetables each week.

• Desserts, cakes and biscuits only allowed at lunchtime and must not contain confectionery.

• Condiments must be limited to portions of no more than 10g or one teaspoonful.

• Limiting fruit juice portions to 150ml and emphasising water as a drink.

• Restricting the amount of added sugars or honey in other drinks to 5 per cent.

• A portion of meat, fish, eggs or beans to be offered every day.

• No snacks except nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit with no added salt, sugar or fat.

Under the new rules milk must be made available at least once during the school day, replacing the old guidelines which specified only that calcium-rich foods like milk, cheese, yoghurt, fromage or custard had to be offered.

What do you think to this? Are you in favour? Have your say below.

Reply Posted by sinjon on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 10:11
My sons school already has rules very similar to this, my kids eat health but i will not be told what my kids can and cant eat. I,ve already had my 8 year old come home upset because he has been told off for having something in his pack lunch he shouldnt, he takes fruit and occasionaly i let him have a small chocolat roll, thats my choice no one will tell me what my kids eat. I understand alot of parents let there kids eat what they want i regualy see kids with crisps and energy drinks on the way to school but why should we all suffer because of a few people that shouldnt be alowed kids.

Reply Posted by Avril on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 10:23
Children need a balanced diet to survive ? Its good that schools are taking fatty foods and sweet stuff from their menu ..they still have a dessert ? most kids get too many sweets at home. The aren't TELLING you what your child should eat ? If its not in their menu , they can t have it ?> I doubt if any school will tell a child off for having one piece of chocolate or biscuit in their lunch box .. its when THAT'S the only thing they eat .. I'd want my child to be told off for eating 'dessert ' first .. who would't want their child to eat healthy food ?Its too late whaen theyre' 10 -12 yr old and not ony obese ,, but unhealthy !-- Common sense ! Most parents who give their child unhealthy food ALL the time , are unhealthy themselve s..everything in moderation .. but kids NEED fruit , veg ,and exercise to survive ! Watch obese children programmes . just what the parents have done to them , its a crying shame for those kids and its abuse ! So cruel !

Reply Posted by Avril on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 10:23

Reply Posted by Margaret on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 10:43
I worked on the school dinners for 15years providing healthy dinners the problem was getting the kids to eat them the number of children who did not know what some of the food was you would not believe all they wanted was fast food no matter how hard we tried they just were not interested

Reply Posted by sarah on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 11:19
Its about time they went back to the old system of sitting at the table and having a proper cooked meal with a pudding served buy 2 older children,this is only primary obviously but the crap they cook in secondary now is unbelievable greasy pizzas and sausage rolls at 10.30am. 2 of mine can't have school lunches as they have too much salt in which is bad for their kidneys. If the schools don't sell junk the kids will get hungry and eat eventually.

Reply Posted by Aidan on Monday June 30 2014 at 08:09
about 6 years ago when i was in school they tried cutting out all junk food and only served healthy food, they cut their own throats really because pie vans and chip vans started pulling up outside the school, everyone went there instead and nearly caused the school cafeteria to be shut down (because it was run by a seperate company)

Reply Posted by Dixie on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 11:40
Anyone who thinks this is a bad idea to encourage & educate kids to eat healthily.......so you're happy to risk your child (or anyone else's for that matter ) to die before their parent due to obesity related illnesses???? these days that is the real risk many parents are taking in allowing their child to eat the things & the way they do!
No-one is saying all children eat this way but many do, if your child already eats healthily, what are you worried about??

Reply Posted by red on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 13:12
Banning chocolate? Last sane one out turn off the lights,the lunatics have taken over the asylum

Reply Posted by jenny on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 15:09
It all boils down to what the kids will and won't eat. Most kids I know don't like vegetables because they don't like the taste same goes with fruit but are schools going to tell them off for bringing in food that they will eat but are deemed unhealthy and will schools take unhealthy food off the kids. If they are then as long as schools are ready for the fallout when parents complain that food was taken away from their children then ok.

Reply Posted by Nic on Monday June 23 2014 at 16:13
How much of it will be Halal, secretly forced upon our kids, like it is the rest of us?

Reply Posted by murk on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 16:38
If you object to halal meat I recommend you start to visit a local butcher - preferably one with a local farm supplier then you can ensure that you don't consume it.
And send your kids to school with packed lunches.
There is no great conspiracy, supermarkets aren't there for our convenience as much as we think they are. They're there to make a profit as quickly and easily as they can - if that means buying all possible halal meats and only needing to changing the packaging, then that's what a supermarket will do. Just like buying cheap meat that then happens to turn out to be horse. Describing it as being 'secretly forced upon' us just sounds silly.

Reply Posted by Kate on Tuesday June 24 2014 at 14:22
This is a good idea. But my 4 year old currently will only eat apples, at first it had to be a certain apple but now he'll eat any apple, they offer fruit as a snack at nursery but my son won't eat the peel and will only eat it If it's chopped up, because it "hurts his mouth"

His nursery won't peel it chop the apple for health and safety reasons

So looks like my sons going hungry. He's already said he wants a packed lunch when he goes full time because he's so fussy with food

Reply Posted by rach on Tuesday June 24 2014 at 21:13
Kate why is your son so fussy? Eating habits are learnt, there's no way I'd let my child eat only one thing or get away with demanding how it's prepared, I get its easy to give in when there kicking off but that's ridiculous n Tbh not the schools problem but yours

Reply Posted by chickadee on Wednesday June 25 2014 at 16:43
Bit harsh like. Not all eating habits are learnt, my parents both LOVE bananas but I cannot bare to even touch them. So I'm not sure where you would suggest I learnt that from?
@Kate I was a bit funny about apple skin when I was little - convinced it'd stick in my throat but I used to love nibbling the apple flesh from the skin like a mini watermelon slice. I know it's a faff but have you tried to send him in with some pre-sliced with a tiny bit of citrussy fruit juice on to keep it clear?

Reply Posted by L on Monday June 30 2014 at 17:37
The biggest problem is that kids just won't eat the dinners on offer. In a primary school fruit , salad and veg are on offer everyday as well as a salad bar to snack on after there dinner. But kids these days the majority if small children only want to eat the lines of fish fingers and pizzas . I'm sorry but it has to be what they get at home, simple as. No one seems to bother cooking proper meals anymore it's all processed crap. And some lunch boxes are shocking! I've seen them with not 1 but 2 full chocolate bars in and most of them have sweets on them along side biscuits and crisps. Then the parents wonder why they get into bother at school, there full of sugar and additives! Makes them hyper. Schools offer a good mix of dinners which are balanced. It's about time people were taught to cook again while at school, it needs to be drummed into people how dangerous an unhealthy diet is. The NHS is short of money , yet people with diabetes take up 20% off the budget . Come on people get EDUCATED!