Wife Thanks Police Officers After Brutal Attack

Thursday June 12 2014

A WIFE who was scalped and beaten by her husband of 38 years has thanked the police officers who saved her.

Manjit Sekhon, 56, of Kirkland Gardens, Monk Bretton, was attacked by her husband Ajit on the morning October 18.

Sekhon was found standing over his wife as she was drifting in and out of consciousness by PC Chris Jackson who had received a call about a disturbance.

His colleague PC John Gallagher was attending to the couple's son Paul, 32, who had fled to a neighbour's house after also being attacked by his father.

Manjit, who pretended to be dead during the attack, said: "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them. I'm so grateful to them and will never, ever forget what they did for me."

In an emotional reunion with Det Sgt Stuart Hall and the two officers yesterday, she thanked them for saving her life.

PC Jackson said: "We are hardened police officers and we get used to seeing things but there are still things that shock us.

"I was worried Manjit was going to pass away while I was with her but she kept talking to me like the trooper she is and she's here today, strong as an ox and looking marvellous."

DS Hall said Manjit's injuries were the worst he had ever seen on a person who survived.

Her husband appeared at Sheffield Crown Court on May 9 where he was jailed for nine years and nine months for the attack on Manjit, and a further six years and nine months for the assault on Paul. The sentences are to run consecutively.

Reply Posted by Darren Holmes on Thursday June 12 2014 at 18:20
South Yorkshire finest. Well done

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday June 12 2014 at 18:54
Take it your too young to remember miners strike.

Reply Posted by Zzzzz on Thursday June 12 2014 at 18:47
I'm surprised the first comment's been allowed, you're not allowed to say anything bad about them.

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday June 12 2014 at 19:09
Well done Coppers, great work. Ignore the idiots still living back in 1984. We are backwards!

Reply Posted by Miner on Thursday June 12 2014 at 19:41
I remember the miners strike of 84 and I also remember some coppers helping miners out where they could. It's the same old story of one bad egg all bad eggs. They are not all the same just like every criminal or member of the public is not the same. I say well done to the coppers and keep up the hard work. I'd love to see these bobby bashers thrown in to the situations you face and see how they handle them

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday June 12 2014 at 20:30
Miner- the voice of reason, well said.
gf- would you do that job and not take advantage of such assistance? Esp when tackling armed/machete wielding lunatics. When you're being burgled by the folk you keep defending, who ya gonna call? (Ghostbusters)

Reply Posted by nick nick on Thursday June 12 2014 at 20:43
Can't see anyone defending burglars

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday June 12 2014 at 21:05
Margaret thatcher espeacialy in this area bought the police with pay rises hence the bully boy arm of Thatcherism was primed and ready and if you think we should forget this remember that chap who attacked the pensioner he would probably be at work possibly in a mine and paying his own way in life what she and her bully boys did was give you the Barnsley you s3e today.

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday June 12 2014 at 21:25
I was adressing gf. He/she defends burglars.

Reply Posted by Nic on Thursday June 12 2014 at 22:20
And I also said: 'You don't need a fortunate/wealthy upbringing to have morals and decency bestowed upon you, half our town are a great example of that.'
You are an idealist, a well balanced society needs idealists. I on the other hand, am a realist.

Reply Posted by :) on Thursday June 12 2014 at 22:26
Is this the same man and women who had the farm road shop in kendray before it got knocked down?

Reply Posted by anom on Tuesday June 17 2014 at 16:13
As if your all arguing over thatcher. . Good work t the syp shame the neva helped me when I was in this situation .. ope the ladies well n son

Reply Posted by Paul on Monday July 14 2014 at 18:35
That my mum who was save thank you office