Mum Blasts Town Centre Road's Surface

Wednesday June 11 2014

THIS little girl is refusing to smile - after she fell and knocked a tooth out on a "disgraceful" town centre road.

Scarlett Wilkinson, three, was holding mum Lauren's hand when they both fell crossing Wellington Street at the traffic lights between Chennell's and the Corner Pin.

It left Lauren, 30, of George Street, Low Valley, with bad cuts to her knees but Scarlett came off worse because she fell flat on her face.

Lauren, who is blaming the poor condition of the road for their fall, said: "We were walking up to the Post Office and went to the crossing where it is safe and we both went flying in the middle of the road.

"I didn't realise what had happened and was trying to get up and my little girl was crying her eyes out and blood was coming from everywhere.

"A guy from the pub came out and picked her up and he noticed she'd knocked a tooth clean out."

Scarlett also needed a stitch in her head and suffered cuts to her nose and chin.

Lauren said Wellington Street needs resurfacing to make it safer and has complained to Barnsley Council.

She added: "It's an absolute disgrace. When you look up you can see where it's disintegrated and the gravel has come away. There are big holes in the road - it's disgusting and it all needs resurfacing."

Coun Roy Miller, cabinet spokesman for development, environment and culture, said: "Wellington Street will be completely be refurbished this financial year, including granite kerbs and footpaths and a newly surfaced road.

"Work has been scheduled to start in the late summer."

Reply Posted by Ben Woodhouse on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 13:05
I've walked down t

Reply Posted by Iggy on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 13:12
Shud think so!!!! I hated walkin acros ther wen i was heavily pregnant and even now if i can help it i wont go across with pram. I once fell n cut knee on a flat road so i feel for mum n daughter poor little lamb. Its too little too soon for that road!

Reply Posted by Onserver on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 13:24
It is a terrible peice of road. And so small an area you would have thought the council would have sealed off the road to repair. It has been like this for a long time. Someone needs to put a massive claim in against the council. Hopefully peopl will not have to injure and risk life in future because of the councils neglegence to provide a duty of care for town users.

Reply Posted by jenny on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 13:25
i agree Wellington street is very dangerous and needs resurfacing ASAP. Poor little mite I bet she's got a lovely smile too.

Reply Posted by D on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 13:39
^^^ not any more :p

Reply Posted by R on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 13:54
D what an awful thing to say i personally know Lauren and her little girl and she's beautiful no matter what.

Reply Posted by A on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 14:06
It is a disgrace! I fell and broke my ankle on the same road, I complained to the council and their response was that they had done an inspection and the road was safe!! If it was safe they would be no injuries!

Reply Posted by mark on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 14:15
see how it take someone to get injured for them to sort it

Reply Posted by bob on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 17:36
So mummy fell dragging her daughter with her but it's the council's fault?

Reply Posted by Fiona on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 18:37
She should try walking across it in heels that's a right laugh

Reply Posted by Steph on Thursday June 12 2014 at 05:21
Oh yeah 'someone needs to put a massive claim in' smart words, considering that would mean the council would have to pay out from an already tight budget. Meaning plans to be resurfaced may have to be held off. Good oxides. Not

Reply Posted by Steph on Thursday June 12 2014 at 05:23
That was meant to say good idea. Don't know why autocorrect changed it hah

Reply Posted by Observer on Thursday June 12 2014 at 07:22
Exactly my point steph read further comments there are solicitors queuing up for claims like that. Councils have to make safe all areas which belong to them. This little girl and her mama were injure through negligence of the council to provide a duty of care. They failed check anon comment. If this is the councils reaction. Claim. That will awake
E them from their warm comfy chairs in the plush relocations jn which they sit.

Reply Posted by Steph on Thursday June 12 2014 at 10:05
It's sad that we live in a compensation driven age. It was a bad accident and I hope her little tooth grows back soon but it's hard to put a blame on the council. I've tripped up loads of times on the pavement I'm town cause it's so uneven but at the end of the day, maybe I should be more careful :P

Reply Posted by Hilda on Thursday June 12 2014 at 10:20
you talk utter bullcr@p Steph, you pay your council tax or road tax and tax on everything else, it is the duty of the council to make sure roads and paths are up to standard, I hit a pot hole in my car and caused quite a bit of damage to the steering, wheel, shockers etc, and rely on my car for work , which I had to take a few days off due to having my car off the road. The council need to stop moaning about budget cuts, if the council had maintained the roads every year without wasting the funds on other things, the roads would not be in such a bad state, The council never moan about the xmas parties and expenses that there claim, PRIORITY FIRST AND BONUSES LAST..

Reply Posted by me on Thursday June 12 2014 at 11:37
The council are under pressure and the pot hole situation,s getting bad yes. But some things just happen,life happens. We live in the real world and Im afraid its not and never will be covered in cotton wool. Both Steph and Hilda have got a point. It seems to me that common sense has gone and blame and claim has taken over. People do,for whatever reason,fall down sometimes.

Reply Posted by Steph on Thursday June 12 2014 at 10:33
Hahah alright then. No need to get personal is there how pathetic. That's your opinion this is mine.

Reply Posted by Glen on Thursday June 12 2014 at 12:35
Sorry the girl hurt herself but at the end of the day kids fall over. This is why insurance premiums are so high - blame and claim culture.

Reply Posted by M on Saturday June 14 2014 at 10:11
I fell on the same piece of road last year, and ended up with 8 stitches in my knee. When I put this forward to barnsley council, I was told the road didn't need repair. Hate to think some old dear was picking their pension up from post office and fell, they could end up in hospital for weeks.

Reply Posted by jan on Saturday June 14 2014 at 11:19
people have been falling over for years, but they never blamed road surfaces. how did folks ever manage when it was all cobbled and uneven.. and by sounds of it, it was the mothers fault for dragging down the little girl. bet if tooth had fell out normally she would've been grinning ear to ear after the tooth fairy had visited

Reply Posted by G on Saturday June 14 2014 at 13:13
She fell. People fall all the time. Kids fall all the time. I tripped over a kerb the other day, maybe I should blame the council because they don't paint all kerbs fluorescent yellow so people see them. Then again maybe I could have just been paying more attention to the surface I was walking on...

Reply Posted by liZ on Sunday June 15 2014 at 00:53
My daughter fell over at school and knock her tooth shall blame school and the coucil for her mistake

Reply Posted by only on Sunday June 15 2014 at 01:05