'Bedroom Tax' Affects 3,000 Families

Friday March 16 2012

THOUSANDS of Barnsley families could be forced out of their homes next year when a bedroom tax that bills them for empty bedrooms comes into force.

The welfare reform overhaul will mean that people who have empty bedrooms will be docked cash from their housing benefits. Anyone who is classed 'under occupied' will be docked £11 for one bedroom and £20 for two as part of the change.

Households are ordered to either pay the extra rent themselves, get a job, take in a lodger or move to a smaller property.

Coun Joe Hayward says the move could force people out of homes they might have lived in for decades. He said: "I don't think people realise what a major affect this is going to have on people. People stand to lose their homes - and there's nothing we can do about it as a council.

"If you've got a child away at university, that bedroom is classed as empty, if you've got two kids who have their own room, you have to pay for the extra one.

"We've always said to people if you can't afford to buy your own house we will help you out with social housing - that is no longer going to be the case and this will affect peoples lives.

"This will cause absolute turmoil for families. Some will have to move out of their homes they have lived in for years if they are classed as under occupied. The home is the very root of the family and this is hitting people right in that."

Already, Berneslai Homes, which manages the councils' housing stocks has sent warning letters to 3,000 families who will be affected by the chage. Another 5,000 on the council waiting lists have also been notified.

But Coun Hayward says the council has another problem - because despite the fact the government advises families to move into smaller homes to avoid the charges, Barnsley hasn't got many smaller homes available.

He added: "We're facing major problems - if we have people living in two beroom houses that need to move to one bedroom I don't know what we will do with them.

"We knocked a load of one bedroom properties down as they didn't meet decent homes standards and weren't fit for purpose. Where are we going to put these people?"

"If we haven't got properties to move people in to they are stuck where they are and might be unable to pay their rent. It will go back to like it was in my day when you hid behind the sofa from the rent man. It's terrible."

The changes - which come into affect on April 2013 - clearly outline that couples who live together are only classed as needing one bedroom. If a spare bedroom is used by a child visiting at weekends, it is classed as vacant.

Under the guidelines, families are instructed that children under 10 are expected to share two to a bedroom - and children under 16 are expected to share with their same sex siblings.

Bob Cartwright, from Berneslai Homes, said more information will be sent out to tenants nearer the time of change.

*UPDATED TO ADD: Due to request on our Facebook wall, we have obtained a copy of the letter sent out to residents. It is pictured below. *

Reply Posted by Diane-tiffany on Friday March 16 2012 at 10:07
its disgusting im disabled and live in a 2 bedroom bugalow and i will have to pay the extra out of my DLA so the council is charging me cause i cant move

Reply Posted by Natalie on Friday March 16 2012 at 10:28
Oh dear..... All these years I've wanted a council property instead of private rented. I'm so pleased I didn't get one now..... This is gunna cause a lot of problems for a lot of people. Think the poo may hit the fan....

Reply Posted by louise on Friday March 16 2012 at 10:31
what if you have an illness and have to sleep in 1 bedroom  your hubby in the other or a carer going to cause massive problems

Reply Posted by Genacc_1 on Friday March 16 2012 at 11:09
its total bull*****, the revolution is coming they cant take much more money off us b4 the whole country breaks! Civil war was something we learned as a history lesson, and from listening to people round here it aint far ofF!

Reply Posted by simon on Thursday August 2 2012 at 23:38
i live in a two bedroom flat the other room is for my son who stays at weekends so now i will have to move if i can before april next year my son will have to stay on the couch i hate the govermaent and what they stand for there will be a massive backlash !!!!!!!

Reply Posted by loobyloo on Friday March 16 2012 at 11:54
just take a little more off the people who don't have much and lets not increase the tax breaks the millionaires get because they can afford to employ lawyers to get around the loopholes. This government ought to be ashamed.Democracy my eyeball, I didn't vote this government in and neither did the majority of this country.

Reply Posted by loobyloo on Friday March 16 2012 at 11:54

Reply Posted by loobyloo on Friday March 16 2012 at 11:54

Reply Posted by Cah252001 on Friday March 16 2012 at 13:33
Glad i don`t live in Barnsley.....What is the world coming to ,we are supposed to live in a tolerent careing society......what  a sad ,sad place to live.

Reply Posted by dawn kinsley on Sunday August 5 2012 at 08:30
I have been informed by a reliable source, this is happening in Hull as well and will take effect in April 2013..it is disgusting and affects the lower paid as well as those on benefits...how come the Law says we are allowed to live on an 'X' amount' which isn't enough as it stands..verging below the breadline...and now we on benefits are forced to pay for an extra bedroom that we can ill afford..i have lived in this house for 11 years (which i love) and i will be blowed if i am to be forced out because of this greedy government..also there are not enough jobs to go round and if there was it would pay peanuts..we would be no better off..the government are pushing this country into third world status..why not give us a mud hut and have done with it.

Reply Posted by Sallymillard on Friday March 16 2012 at 15:18
its not just barnsley affected this is government cuts which affect council and private rented tenants everywhere, maybe this will stop people living in big and better houses free of charge than the people that have to pay their rent

Reply Posted by Kevin Riddiough on Friday March 16 2012 at 16:30
Reading between the lines this is the governments way of controlling our lives yet again. Many people live on the bread line as it is. Yes it would mean people may take in lodgers but the end result will be a loss of benefit because they have a lodger. If it was so easy to get a job there would be millions on the dole. As stated earlier in the thread the more fortunate will not suffer. This is to reduce the waiting lists for properties, people will be evicted so fresh tenants can be moved in. The numbers waiting for housing will not decrease it merely is a redistribution of the problem. Do you see the council fighting it, NO, it benefits them to leave it as it is. Also there will be an increase in unwanted pregnancies purely to avoid the charges. 2015 cant come quick enough but believe me we will be no better off under a New Labour government. The main 3 party's are all in it for themselves. We the working class are nothing more than slaves to the governments. Milked at every opportunity, told what to do, and like it. The people will stand and fight but it may be too late to save our country from the likes of the Lib, Lab, CON.

Reply Posted by Kevin Riddiough on Friday March 16 2012 at 16:31
Sorry.  If it was so easy to get a job there wouldnt be millions on the dole

Reply Posted by Maureen Tams on Friday March 16 2012 at 17:06
Are these People who have thie own homes in goverment going to do yhe same ...........I THINK NOT

Reply Posted by kate on Friday March 16 2012 at 18:16
y not give us tents & let the immigrants with numerous kids ave our homes...would u like us to decorate b4 u hound us out...

Reply Posted by kate on Friday March 16 2012 at 18:16

Reply Posted by jane on Saturday March 17 2012 at 04:58
I dont think this will be limited to council tennants, isnt there a restriction already in benefits paid for private rented based on number of occupants and size of property?

Reply Posted by 5656 on Monday March 19 2012 at 10:43
I think it would help those larger families living in small houses to finally get a house appropriate for their size, so in this respect I think its a good idea. On the other hand, I think there should be some circumstances which should be taken into account, I.e Disabled people/ Elderly. I know some people are desperately trying to find jobs, but, it will encourage other social scroungers to finally get off their lazy backsides.

Reply Posted by Tony on Monday March 19 2012 at 10:58
Another case of fathers finding it difficault to have thier children. Are they going to reduce maintenance to cover the extra rent?

Reply Posted by Andreasummers95 on Monday March 19 2012 at 11:48
Oh great! Just another nail in the coffin!

Reply Posted by Andreasummers95 on Monday March 19 2012 at 11:48
Oh great! Just another nail in the coffin!

Reply Posted by Jess Griggs on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:14
The majority didn't bother to vote which may as well have been a vote for the Tories.

Reply Posted by Jess Griggs on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:14

Reply Posted by Juliedudas on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:15
hiya - its not oly barnsley that is affected by this change - its countrywide - government have ordered it - just like they have changed the benefit for people over 25 who live alone - now its gone to 35 and anyone living alone under 35 will only get shared accommmodation benefit and will have to find the extra - thjats already in force - i think the reasonong is that a lot of them will go back home - thats if their parents haven't had to downsize  to meet their own criteria  -

Reply Posted by Juliedudas on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:15

Reply Posted by William on Saturday August 11 2012 at 13:43
Excellent point, the undeniable paradox.

Reply Posted by Jess Griggs on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:18
I don't think it's fair for single parents who don't have full custody. Where is your child meant to stay when they visit? Would they have a 15 year old girl have to share a bed with her dad? Or maybe she's expected to take the sofa?
I don't think that siblings should have to share unless it's a large room. What if it's a little box room? How are you meant to fit two children in there?
I'm not in favour and I don't even have a rented house.
It's the first time I've heard of this so they're not publicising it much are they?
If a petition is started and 100,000 people sign it then it has to be discussed in parliament. You can do it electronically through the HMRC website.

Reply Posted by simon on Thursday August 2 2012 at 23:44
the only reason i have a two bedroom flat is so my son has his own room to stay in when he stays with me his dad this is really going to effect me and my son im making plans allready to move like thousands of people..... mad hope theres loads of trouble for the goverment !!!

Reply Posted by Jon on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:18
David Cameron really does hate everyone except the rich
I have one spare bedroom size of 6ft x 12ft & I going to rent it out to a forigne family with 6 kids

Reply Posted by Bren on Tuesday September 18 2012 at 02:54
It's okay, you don't need to do that : the lousy unelected government will give them a lovely five bedroomed house - after throwing an English person and their family out after living there all their lives on the breadline.

Reply Posted by Herbies_cave on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:19
well I live in a 3 bedroomed property with me and my 2 year old son and I have to pay the extra of what I owe on the rent.

Reply Posted by Ali on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:47
I will be affected by this, single parent (due to domestic violence) with 2 girls both under 10, I am a full time student at uni and my income is student loans, I live in a 3 bedroom house and all the bedrooms are in use but according to the gov I am under-occupying as my girls should share, I rung the council and was given these helpful hints, ask a friend/relative to move in, take in a lodger, move house but you'll not get another smaller council house, or get this look to extend my own family in other words have more children!!!! I could not believe their so called advice, but what really gets me mad is the next 3 houses on my street all council and all same as mine are all occuiped by elderly couples and a man on his own but their benefits wouldn't be slashed, hows that fair???? Is it a case of divide and rule???? I don't mind paying I'll find the money somewhere I need to keep a roof over my families head, but what about were all in this together??

Reply Posted by Djtime on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:52
Yet another SKANK......all legal and above board so they say...........next breathing tax.....

Reply Posted by Djtime on Monday March 19 2012 at 12:52

Reply Posted by COZREECE on Monday March 19 2012 at 13:33
THE LAW  says u need a certain amount to live on so ppl on benefits surely couldnot afford to pay any extra out of a BARE MINIMUM BENEFIT ??? IS THIS NOT BREAKING THE LAW THEN IF WE ARE MADE TO DO THIS :-( X

Reply Posted by alisonp on Monday March 19 2012 at 13:41
its bad at moment born n bread barnsley here and there is deffo a uncurrent of anger and fear

Reply Posted by Jamey Griffiths on Monday March 19 2012 at 13:52
This is ridiculous, my dad is now an old age pensioner and he has lived in his 3 bedroom house for 25 years and god knows how much money he has spent in it, he has been trying to get a bungalow for the last 5 years and has not been offered one yet after he has applied for at least 25, and now their going to start charging him a tax for these other 2 bedrooms which dont get used and stated to the council when he first applied for a bungalow "i'm in a 3 bedroom house on my own which a family could be using" and he still cant get a bungalow. So if they wont offer him a bungalow how can they charge him tax for some rooms when he has been trying to get moved.

Reply Posted by m eledna on Wednesday July 25 2012 at 17:21
try not to worry. I don t think this new rule affects pensioners,

Reply Posted by Clair Hanson on Monday March 19 2012 at 18:10
Bit of a misleading headline being as it will only affect those who claim housing benefits - those of us who pay our rent or mortgage out of our hard earned wages can have as many bedrooms as we like.

Reply Posted by shellie on Monday March 19 2012 at 19:38
i think this is disgusting as we was forced to move out of our last home cause they knocked them down and know they are forcing us to move again i really dont understand how they can do this to people

Reply Posted by on Tuesday March 20 2012 at 09:42
Thanks for your comment Clair - but it isn't a misleading headline. It's factually correct - it will affect 3,000 families....

Reply Posted by Gillian on Saturday April 7 2012 at 05:05
That is true however as I live in a 3 bedroom house but only qualify for a 2 bedroom rate. Social housing rent for a 3 bedroom house is likely to be much lower than a private rent and within the LHA so taxing them for spare rooms helps level the playing field.

Reply Posted by Angelac on Sunday April 8 2012 at 18:27
Having worked since I was fifteen and now forty seven, what a prospect that should I become unemployed I would be penalised 14% bedroom tax and a further 10% loss of housing benefit if not employed after a year, total 24%, facing then with the prospect of starving or becoming homeless. This new policy is set to take no prisoners.

Reply Posted by Debbie Johnson on Thursday April 12 2012 at 16:56
GET A GRIP  ENGLAND Y DUNT EVERYBODY JUST NOT VOTE EVER AGAIN COS WOT UYSE R THE SHITTY GOVERMENT TO US ..PLAYIN WI PEOPLES LIVES NEVER RIGHT,,,,,,,,,,

Reply Posted by Dave from Barnsley on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 04:48
SO IF YOU HAVE 2/3 KIDS IN ONE ROOM are the council going to sort the family a bigger house or give the family the cash they are taking from the families with empty rooms. NO they are not, this country's rulers are oppressive dictators and they make me and everyone i know sick.  THIS COUNTRY is down the pan.

Reply Posted by Guestymcguest on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 13:04
I wonder what reforms there will be for MP's that are allowed to buy a second house in London???

Reply Posted by Rachit251 on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 18:46
The government are money grabbing sods...it's sooo wrong. As thou I'd get a lodger who iv never met b4 living with me and my son, he or she could be anyone!!! And there's no jobs about so every one is going to be in the shit!!! X

Reply Posted by sonic on Monday September 24 2012 at 09:00
i have a 3 bed house witch i love but im on the housing list with hi band and there is only 2 bed bungolows local were iive and 1bed bungolows out in the sticks were i cant live becouse im disabeled.iv been td it will take 3 years to get the move i need so id have to get a lodger who i dont no and theres more perverts than there is safe people so i will put people at risk with mids if i save my home till i move.so i agree with you a lodger is dangeres if ya dont no them.how sick can the guv put us to live.id die first than put a pedo in my house as thats all there is thease days as pedos cant get re housed near kids so ya put them as ya lodger then the holl street will have to move out.wat a sick mad life to live.il get some arss nick ready to die first.

Reply Posted by Rachit251 on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 18:46

Reply Posted by Jane ward on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 19:28
 I believe this will cause major turmoil for lots of people,surely a more humane ruling would be to allow existing families to remain unaffected by the ruling and then people needing properties could be allocated them in accordance with their needs , alas the bottom line is that the council doesn't have smaller properties to rehouse all these single people and families who are currently living in larger houses  . . . Wot a fiasco ! ! !

Reply Posted by Jane ward on Tuesday April 17 2012 at 19:57
Was informed today that foster children aren't taken in consideration when meeting the Governments guidelines for occupancy  . . . . How truly dismal can this government get ?

Reply Posted by Johnbriscoe on Friday April 20 2012 at 20:56
Where do you think the tax breaks for the rich bankers comes from?.... Thin air!..... Pie Tax, Bedroom Tax what next....unemployed, disabled, blind, what about the dead too? they may have some money to steal?.. Guy Fawkes where are you now?
Be sure to make your vote count at the next election.

Reply Posted by Baileyter on Friday April 20 2012 at 21:11
Well bully for you

Reply Posted by donna on Sunday April 22 2012 at 17:33
 i wounder if they would like it if they got told to take in a lodger ////??

Reply Posted by donna on Sunday April 22 2012 at 17:33
 i wounder if they would like it if they got told to take in a lodger ////??

Reply Posted by Juliedudas on Sunday April 22 2012 at 18:01
hiya
think you will find this applies to anyone on benefits who are underoccupying ( classed as anyway) -if they are not claiming - no they won't be affected - even the council has owned up to it being madness as they admit there isn't the amount of houses available with fewer bedrooms for those who are already listed as needing/.wanting a move

Reply Posted by Juliedudas on Sunday April 22 2012 at 18:01
hiya

Reply Posted by Juliedudas on Sunday April 22 2012 at 18:01
hiya

Reply Posted by trish on Sunday April 22 2012 at 18:10
This country is being destroyed by the goverment. I am ashamed to say i'm British. Its no longer "Great Britain". They can't play with peoples' lives like this. A house is a home. This is going to cause more problems for people and their children and in the long run the bill will be at the goverment's door with more NHS treatment for the depressed, councelling, suicide attempts, etc  I can't beleive how low this goverment will actually go!

Reply Posted by Pez on Sunday April 22 2012 at 19:43
what will they dream up next?

breathing tax?
eating tax? oh they carnt do that, people are having trouble affording food!

lets just destroy the whole country and keep the govenment in their ivy towers, who have no idea about REAL life!

would i admit to being british - never, im ashamed!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by E Seaman on Monday April 30 2012 at 14:55
It makes me laugh they are taxing people with spare rooms but no one is bothered if you are over crowded. I share the smallest room in our house with my partner 3 year old and 12 week old. me and my partner have to share a top bunk of the bunk bed because my daughter is too young to use the top. all in all there are 8 people in this house and there are only 3 bedrooms. And the council have been no help at all. The only way they can help us is to put me and the 2 kids in a womens refuge in sheffield and put my partner up in a hostel so in order to keep us all together we cope. But as soon as our youngest is too big for the moses basket we are stuck because there is nowhere for a full size cot to go. And as for affording a private rent. there aren't many that accept DSS and then there is the bond to find. How do they expect to deal with the housing shortage if they charge people for spare rooms making it harder for them to pay to live there

Reply Posted by on Friday May 11 2012 at 02:10
I only found out today after visiting my mam and dad that they also stand to lose there house cos they will be unable to pay the extra cost of 2 unused bedrooms. They have lived in the same house for over 27 year raised 2 kids and 3 grandchildren in there and at the drop of a hat stand to lose it. Pisses  me off these halfbaked fuckin assholes running the country correction ruining the country.

Reply Posted by on Friday May 11 2012 at 02:13
touche louise  thats exactly what my mum and dad do atm mams using one room and my dad another mam is undergoing treatment for cancer atm and my dad is disabled so sharing the same bed is fundamentally impossible for them.

Reply Posted by Andrealevin94 on Wednesday June 27 2012 at 23:41
 trish i couldn't have said it better myself this government is a disgrace we all have to leave our homes because we might have one spare bedroom? the same homes we have lived in for decades so where is the money coming from to move everyone out? where are the smaller properties coming from ? are they going to move us miles away from our family? looks like the hospitals are going to be very busy in the next few year either with people having breakdowns or women having more children

Reply Posted by Andrew25 on Thursday June 28 2012 at 00:09
the only thing this government are going to encourage is women having more children,prostitution, nervous breakdowns more crime [people stealing to make ends meet]the list is endless get this government out

Reply Posted by Mike39 on Thursday June 28 2012 at 00:20
 before you start judging people maybe you might lose your job and have the need to claim housing benefit,like to see you move to a bedsit in a bad area

Reply Posted by Andrealevin94 on Thursday June 28 2012 at 01:21
so let me think about this then so i am expected to move out of my house after 25 years of living their with my now grown up children after spending loads of money on it, patio doors,new driveway etc strong social network of family and friends all to be handed over to a non english speaking large family ,and  paying my own removal cost, new carpets etc. all to end up in a bedsit in a rough area  over my dead body or maybe the queen might put me up she has enough spare rooms  so i have heard ,and you can bet your sweet life she wont be paying any bedroom tax one rule for the poor and another for the rich typical conservative get the fookers out!!!!!!

Reply Posted by john doore on Friday July 6 2012 at 17:02
they couldnot cope wiv the riots so lets av another and show the goverment who the hell there playing wiv,or cut the mps down see how day =like it on dole pennies,tax,tax,taxand more f,,,,king...TAX ITS YHE FUTURE...

Reply Posted by WTF on Saturday July 7 2012 at 06:43
Where is the copy of the letter?
Yet again another bright idea not properly thought through by the ConDems. Start a petition it worked for the trees!!

Reply Posted by bettyboop60 on Saturday July 7 2012 at 10:10
Roll on Scotlands independance the government have went back to the dark ages when there was window tax.Watch and see all over this country more eviction orders are going to be served,more kids are going to be starving ,there will be more house breakins and more shop lifting.More people will end up depressed and turn to drink or drugs or even worse can't face life at all and commit suicide.The prime minister should spend not a week but a whole month trying to survive on a pittance of an income and pay for gas electric food etc,I bet he wouldn't take the challenge.

Reply Posted by max on Saturday July 7 2012 at 22:55
what happend to the proposed mansion tax four the rich and all this rubish about getting more tax off rich .i will believe it when isee it they put the tax rate down for the rich what does that tell you roll on may 2115 and we can vote these prats out if we havent allready starved to death

Reply Posted by graham on Tuesday July 17 2012 at 21:47
some people who have wrote on here seem to think that old age pensioners will have to pay the bedroom tax......well rest assured they will not have to pay itonly people below pension age will pay....and this is a fact...check with council and they will verify this

Reply Posted by sylvia on Friday July 20 2012 at 20:11
glad you clarified that Ialso understand it that way but was begining to panic in case Iwas wrong

Reply Posted by sylvia on Friday July 20 2012 at 20:09
I am uder the impression that the bedroom tax will only be applied to people of working age 61 + are at the moments exempt but where do single people on benifit find one bedroom accomadation. the law decides how much benifits a week you need to live on then the govt takes bedroom tax off you leaving you with less than thelaw states you need surely this is illegal

Reply Posted by john on Sunday July 22 2012 at 17:29
If the council can not provide a one bedroom property you should not have to pay bedrom tax

Reply Posted by donna on Tuesday July 31 2012 at 18:17
well i work and pay full rent but i have 2 girls and rent a 3 bedroom and ive been told my rent will increse £11 a week i thought it only affected people who get housing benefit

Reply Posted by jeanie rosewell, on Tuesday July 31 2012 at 21:11
well what about the saying an english mans home is his castle , get cameron out ,

Reply Posted by Rich on Sunday August 5 2012 at 03:41
I took possession of my 2 bedroom house 8 years ago, I was wanting a 1 bedroom flat or bungalow but due to my age,(27) at the time I was declined those properties and took a 2 bedroom semi, now Iv'e read I'll have to pay up an extra £11.00 or move out. It's time the council reviewed their lettings system and be less choosy who lives in smaller properties so as this situation can't happen again.

Reply Posted by keith on Thursday September 13 2012 at 21:37
many people that have lost dla due to atos no longer qualify for a carer,also they lose there premium for council tax and have to pay more.also if they unjustly lose there dla/esa they have to sign for jobseekers declaring they are fit for work even though they may not be otherwise they cannot get anything.and as of april 2013 they no longer get anything whilst appealing and no legal aid...theres a facebook protest page as well https://www.facebook.com/groups/antibedroomtax/

Reply Posted by sue on Sunday September 16 2012 at 23:20
Maybe people will have to think of the costs of raising children before having them. If the state is paying for your rent surely you should realise the house is not yours. beggars are not choosers. Having an extra bedroom so a child can have a room for weekends is a luxury the parent should pay for. Only people with serious special circumstances, and those waiting for suitable accomodation should have their full rent paid for. Why should taxpayers people work hard to pay for luxuries. Private tenants are always on the move so why cant social tenants be moved. Its not as if they will be made homeless.

Reply Posted by madashell on Wednesday September 19 2012 at 16:51
Spot on

Reply Posted by tracy on Wednesday October 31 2012 at 13:54
what we see in britian in 2012 is a reflection of pre 1990 south africa. The people of united kingdom are slowly having there human rights taken from them. Did this goverment put bedroom tax to a public vote no they need to cut back however on what so they now have turned there attention to the most vunerable to save money. How do they expect someone on £70.00 per week to feed, clothe, keep warm and take the £12.00 off there benefit per week and not forgetting they have to pay £6.00 per week water and as of 2013 £3.00 per week council tax as well. Crime will soar, disorder in britian will become a common occurance. The goverment say theres work no theres not. the goverment say theres 2.68 million on the dole no theres not its more like 5 million. Another surprise around the corner is our goverment is trying everything it can to quit the union, and bang goes your minimum wage as the union sets this not the uk. what this means is an employer could have you working in as little as 2014 for £5.00 per hour or even less. The uk is heading towards the revolution like most of europe and i believe this is the only way to bring back stability the once great nation of ours.

Reply Posted by angie on Tuesday January 8 2013 at 02:10
this is down right robbery and can be stopped. the people run the government not the other way around ..... you want to stop this crap then everyone has to gather together and i mean everyone ....... then every friday dont bother to get out of bed dont go shopping ..... dont drive ...dont do anything ....... all those millions in lost revenue will put accross the displeasure felt by the uk as a people and it wont take long for number 10 downing street to reverse course .....all they are doing is keeping the poor ..poor and down trodden ................once a week every week and things will change ........ same with petrol ..........same with anything a complete standstill once a week till we get what is right

too right tracy

Reply Posted by Amanda on Friday January 25 2013 at 09:48
How can we all get together to make them listen I have two girls age18 and 9 they are meant to share a room and I have to pay for a spare room I do not have ! Where will the money come from !

Reply Posted by ALAN on Friday April 19 2013 at 15:48
Surely to have cuts in housing benefits imposed on people without first offering them an smaller place to live this is an infringement on our human rights first they should be offered a smaller place if they refuse the offer then cut the benefits accordingly. This government is living in cloud cuckoo land they couldn't run a piss up in a brewery what i would like to know how long will this shower keep blaming the last government for this government competencies

Reply Posted by jen lunn on Sunday June 16 2013 at 15:30
I don't understand why Barnsley council is threatening to kick every1 out of there homes. if they know that it is going to cause homelessness for kids and families then shouldn't the council do everything to try and stop this from happening? I have a 3 bed house and trying to get a 2 but people don't want2 move because of having to pay bedroom tax. so I stay in my 3 bed I get kicked out because I cant afford to pay top up but there are no smaller houses available jus don't understand it at all. councils should over turn this not let it happen.