Fire Crews Continue To Battle Blaze

Tuesday June 3 2014

A WARNING has been issued to residents as fire crews continue to tackle a fire.

Firefighters are tackling a blaze involving a large pile of wood chippings near Whams Road in the Crow Edge area of Barnsley.

Fire crews were first called to the incident at 8:10am on Monday morning and have been working since.

Four fire crews from Barnsley, Tankersley, Lowedges, and Cudworth stations are at the incident.

Firefighters have been using hose reel jets to extinguish the fire and have made fire breaks within the chippings to prevent the fire spreading.

Fire crews at the scene are bringing the fire under control and damping down the material.

Residents in the area have been urged to keep windows and doors closed.

Reply Posted by sick of the stink.... on Tuesday June 3 2014 at 20:25
Hope they get it sorted soon ,it stinks foul in penistone,cant imagine how strong it is in crowedge ,they must be choking , plus its the second time its happened within 6 weeks, think environmental health should be sorting them out cos something is obviously going wrong.

Reply Posted by fed up of stink on Tuesday June 3 2014 at 21:06
I live in Crow Edge and NO warning or appeal has been made to people here that I know of. The air is foul smelling and choking.
We have been told absolutely nothing about what has happened or what is going on, not even a note through letter boxes.
It's absolutely disgusting - something has to be done to prevent this happening again.

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday June 6 2014 at 23:58
Hmm so when farmers spread their silage on the fields you don't smell that?

#dearohdeardiddumstrylivingintheeastofbarnsley

Reply Posted by spb on Saturday August 16 2014 at 11:54
yes we do smell the silage - particularly frustrating when hanging washing outdoors - but that is a totally different matter and the farm was there before we were. Plevins wasn't.

Reply Posted by Resident on Tuesday June 3 2014 at 22:25
I live in Crow Edge too and I have also received no communication about this at all. It's horrific and it's the second time it's happened in two months! We can't go outside at all because it's choking us.

Reply Posted by besty on Tuesday June 3 2014 at 23:24
Its balmy that wood chippings are shipped all the way from north America, stored at crow edge then transported to tinsley to burn to generate electricity. weren't there another fire there recently too.

Reply Posted by Bigbear on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 04:19
Can't believe its allowed to happen again, communication from them is non existent they have no water highdrents on their premises they are using the one off our street so we barely have any water. I work near magna science museum and believe it or not you can smell it down there. They obviously haven't learnt the lessons from 6 weeks ago. Total disgrace!! Meeting at crow edge community centre on Thursday evening with environmental agency and plevins everyone is welcome

Reply Posted by James on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 07:14
I would like to invite R Plevin and his sons to come and spend the night in my house at crow edge as the whole downstairs smells of smoke, and he can enjoy the nice stench we have had to put up with for 2 days so far.

Reply Posted by Rubydoo on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 09:25
Is this all in the name of 'greener' energy? If so how is it justified? I've never heard of this place before but besty above says in his/her comment the chippings are shipped over from north America and incinerated to generate electricity. Sounds crazy and not very 'green'.
The company storing these chippings don't sound fit for purpose either.

Reply Posted by frum tarn on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 11:44
All about money. My mate works in fire service and he told me this will just keep happening. The owners are stockpiling the material as the biomass facility isnt ready yet. There is no fire protection or prevention other than a old fire engine on site, so while theres 5 and 6 fire engines there, who is looking after proper important incidents. Is mr plevin paying for it? I too live near it and the smell is awful. Riddiculous.

Reply Posted by mii on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 18:20
I live in hoyland and it smelt bad yesterday. Don't know how the locals Are coping

Reply Posted by Choking on Thursday June 5 2014 at 10:49
I live in crow edge. This morning (day 4) the wood stack is not just smouldering it has flames coming from it! Yesterday on the BBC LOOK NORTH news the fire service said it would be out in two days, I cannot honestly believe this! It is assumed that everyone is on the internet and Face Book , there has been No contact from Plevins except via the internet! What about all the elderly folk in the bungalows at Crow edge? Do they know what is happening? A large scale recycling operation which is now known to be hazardous to residents, and livestock in the surrounding fields, should not have been allowed to set up in a rural area. The second fire in Six weeks should raise a warning flag with Health and Safety.
Finally I hope Plevins are footing the bill for the fire service who must be angry that this has happened again! God help us when the warm weather arrives!

Reply Posted by fed up on Saturday June 7 2014 at 00:29
H&S exec are too busy hounding small businesses to buy "starting the bleeping obvious" signage. Everyone knows wood is flammable,but to store it in big piles??? Mmm? Let's think? Did anyone do a Risk Assessment? Don't think so! The water is being pumped 5 whatever it is these days to the site! The Risk wasnt thought through,otherwise water would have been closer to hand. Someone needs sacking!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Friday June 6 2014 at 23:52
I DONT live in Crow Edge and thankfully breathe easily, but wanted to congratulate you Penistoners who keep voting Conservative, just think if you would have voted Labour then the "fire" would have been out almost instantly, rather than having to rely on pumps from almost twenty miles away due to idiotic Tory cuts.

#austeritymyarserichfortherichandpissonthepoor.

Reply Posted by me on Saturday June 7 2014 at 00:21
Confused me that STEVEO? Thought you was always slating labour? I know you're not Conservative,so what are you? Last post I read of yours you were telling readers to vote Labour out,now your slating the Crows for keeping conservatives in?

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Saturday June 7 2014 at 11:44
Irony? Sarcasm? You ever heard of these words?

I was obviously hinting that crow edge and Penistone have a large majority of people that vote Tory and that the austerity cuts have had an impact on the fire service etc etc etc.

Crow edge / Penistone residents shouldn't complain if they voted Tory should they?

Get it?
Got it?
Good!

There is no austerity for Britain's rich elite only austerity for the poorer in society...

Reply Posted by me! on Saturday June 7 2014 at 11:52
Gorrit! No need to be so mornjy! Was just an observation! Bossy keks!

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Sunday June 8 2014 at 09:37
Hahahahahah Like it me! Made me chuckle!

Reply Posted by Crowedger on Wednesday June 11 2014 at 22:26
I vote Labour and live in Crow Edge. The fact that other fire services had to be called in was due to the scale of the fire and equipment required to tackle it. The fact that you're trying to spin this into a political argument really disgusts me