MP Backs GP Appointment Plans

Tuesday June 3 2014

Michael Dugher MP Michael Dugher MP

A BARNSLEY MP has backed plans to guarantee patients an appointment with a GP within 48 hours.

New plans hope to ease the pressure across the NHS by reducing the number of patients going to accident and emergency departments and could save millions of pounds.

GP surgeries across the country will be given an extra £100 million a year to achieve improvement in standards - enough to pay for an additional three million GP appointments every year.

Michael Dugher said: "Patients in Barnsley are fed up of waiting for days before being seen by a local GP.

"Currently a quarter of people cannot get an appointment with a GP in the same week, adding to the pressure on the NHS. This can’t continue."

"That's why I'm backing plans to raise standards, put patients first and guarantee them an appointment with a local GP within 48 hours or on the same day if they need to be seen quickly."

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 13:02
Really hope this does work, a week is too long when someone is poorly. Children cant wait a week thats for sure. I remember going to my docs and being given a lolly stick with a number on it,you had to wait your turn ,but you were guaranteed to see a doctor that day,within a flexy time scale of course. Eeee,the good old days.

Reply Posted by Kayleigh on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 14:12
This would be fantastic. I would appreciate an appointment even a week later if I could get one at all. I ring practically everyday and get told that there are no appointments available for the foreseeable future and to call at 8am the next day. I do this everyday and get told; it is very unlikely you will get an emergency appointment due to high numbers of people calling. (I think they are going to family and friends of the receptionists!)

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 15:18
My GP is brilliant, his receptionists are great - never had to wait more than a day for an appointment. Feel for the ones who can't get to see their GP when they are ill - especially children.

Reply Posted by Adele on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 18:33
This is good news, as I know of many people who can't get a quick appointment and have to wait ages before getting one, some can ring first thing in the morning or early afternoon to try and get one but to no avail, it is frustrating if you need something urgent. I am lucky in that the Medical Centre I go to guarantees a 'quick' five minute same-day appointment, you may not get to see the doctor of your choice but still you get to see someone that same day. This I feel is good as if you had something that needs medication then to wait a week or clog up A&E is not good.

Reply Posted by j on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 21:36
@Sid - Cope Street Surgery, Dr. Ravi - he doesn't mess around trying this n trying that until it's too late either. I've never had one complaint in all the years I've been at this practice.

Reply Posted by laura on Thursday June 5 2014 at 11:03
hes my dr too and hes fantastic! straight in for appointments!

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 22:14
Thanks @j. Cope st? Is that in town?

Reply Posted by sid on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 22:18
Just googled it @j. Me and mine live more than a mile away. Shame, bit fed up with mine. Would like to move.