Group Pushes Alcohol Free Night Out

Tuesday May 27 2014

Volunteers, artists and Experience Barnsley staff join Uplift and Re:Sound's 'Alternative Nite out at the Museum Volunteers, artists and Experience Barnsley staff join Uplift and Re:Sound's 'Alternative Nite out at the Museum

A GROUP has formed to show that a fun night out in Barnsley is possible without alcohol.

The Immortals group has teamed up with Young Addaction, a service working in Barnsley to support young people with alcohol and drug issues, to plan a series of booze free nights out for summer.

The Immortals also raises awareness about the risks of dangerous and excessive drinking and drug use.

Among its first summer events are live DJ set evenings. The first for 14 to 18-year-olds was last week at Sara's Flowers and Teas on Pitt Street in Barnsley.

The Immortals will also take over Experience Barnsley museum in July and work with the arts organisation Creative Recovery on street art in August.

Reply Posted by Rybo on Thursday May 29 2014 at 12:05
Brilliant idea..this is good to see. Fed up of it seeming ''uncool'' to not drink or do drugs.
nothing cool about being dead!

Reply Posted by Zzzzzz on Thursday May 29 2014 at 17:11
BooOOOring, it's a no from me.

Reply Posted by Informed on Friday May 30 2014 at 16:15
So, Zzzzzz, people who dont drink on a night out are boring? You must be a right barrel of laughs to be with if you need to be drunk to have a good time. Think about it - you need to consume a mind altering substance in order to have a good time is what you are saying. That suggests that without aforementioned mind altering substance, YOU are incapable of having a good time and thus rely on alcohol to make you interesting.

Reply Posted by Zzzzzz on Friday May 30 2014 at 19:35
Yes i am a barrel of laughs with or without alcohol. I don't NEED alcohol at all, that's you making assumptions. A few beers adds to the fun everytime Try it you miserable shandy drinking t w a t

Reply Posted by Informed on Saturday May 31 2014 at 09:57
Never argue with an idiot. People may not be able to tell the difference. On that note, I'll bid you adieu.

Reply Posted by Zzzzzz on Saturday May 31 2014 at 11:56
Only one idiot misinformed that's you. I was merely expressing my opinion, when you got on your soapbox and attempted your hilarious amateur phsyco analyzation. That's the trouble with people like you always trying to preach. Auf wiedersehen.

Reply Posted by Big Greg on Thursday June 5 2014 at 14:57
One thing you probably don't know is that Barnsley has some of the best care services available for people with addiction problems. This is not a Mary Whitehouse style lobby formed to say, "Hey everyone, don't drink it's evil!" It's to help people who have terrible and crippling problems with alcohol. Most people can take or leave booze, some can't. It's nice to offer a helping hand to people less fortunate than yourself isn't it?

Reply Posted by zammo on Saturday May 31 2014 at 20:10
Didnt they try the 'Just Say No ' way years ago. Guess what? It didnt work.

Reply Posted by Stella on Saturday May 31 2014 at 22:02
Jog on and have a vimto informed

Reply Posted by Informed on Sunday June 1 2014 at 21:01
My idea of fun is a fruit shoot and a packet of outer spaces. You can't beat it.

Reply Posted by Observer on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 07:57
Theres nothing wrong with drinking. Have a few enjoy the day. Or night. Go home happy and peaceful. Whats the problem?? Sounds like a stunt yet again to increase the lrice of alcohol
Again to hit the working man. A propoganda stunt? How bad is alcohol for you. Deary me.

Reply Posted by Murk on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 11:00
It's a group that's trying to stop young people getting addicted to substances, not the government, please read an article if you're going to persist in commenting upon it.
I think it's a wonderful idea, although I like to go out myself having a drink is just a side part of that. I'm prepared to go and have a laugh, dance like a fool and generally cause a bit of mischief without any alcohol. During my first two years at university I hardly drank - but still went out 3/4 times a week.
There's some pretty reasonable scientific proof that alcohol is worse for you that most of the things we can't legally buy - it's just that the Gov. makes a shed load of tax from booze.
I do drink, I enjoy it but we should be showing young people that it's possible and perfectly fine to not get drunk or take drugs to have a good time.
We should all have the option, this is providing it.

Reply Posted by Tommy on Thursday June 5 2014 at 10:19
We have always had the option to drink or not to drink. Choosing not to drink may increase your lifespan, however even if it doesn't it will seem like it :-)