Dramatic Weight Loss For Man

Friday May 30 2014

We Are Barnsley We Are Barnsley

A BARNSLEY man who was told he weighed too much to have an operation on his knees lost three stone in nine weeks so it could go ahead.

Craig Smith, 55, was told in January that going under the knife at his then weight of 25 stone 12lbs, was not an option as it could be dangerous.

Craig, of Kingsland Court, Royston, said: "I'd had trouble with my knees for a few years from old footballing injuries, and was having physio for them. I'd got to the pre-op stage and stepped on the scales.

"It was then I was told I wouldn't be able to have the operation if I didn't lose weight."

Craig joined Slimming World and has now lost four-and-a-half stone.

Reply Posted by Majorie Dawes on Monday June 2 2014 at 10:13
I love to make a 'human sized' hungry hippo game for my kids...Just empty a pack of Maltesers on the floor at a Weight Watchers meeting and watch them gobble! :)

Reply Posted by Ray on Monday June 2 2014 at 14:29
Well done, that's some achievement you had a goal and stuck to it.

Reply Posted by Me on Monday June 2 2014 at 14:56
@ Majaorie Dawes......what a terribly insensitive person you are to make such fun of overweight people. Especially ones who are going to the effort of trying to do something about it. Not all obese people are obese because they eat a lot, sometimes it is down to a medical problem. You should be ashamed of yourself.

On a lighter note, well done to Craig Smith, there should be more people around with your guts and determination and I hope this will encourage others to do the same as it is obviously possible. Keep up the good work.

Reply Posted by funny bone on Monday June 2 2014 at 15:38
I, as a tubby myself off and on, thought Marjorie Dawes,s comment to be quite funny. I heard that joke whilst at weight watchers and we all laughed. We were all picturing ourselves scrabbling on the floor for the forbidden choccys. Sometimes a sense of humour is ok you know.
Well done to Craig Smith, its good to see he has what it takes. The trick is, to never give in.

Reply Posted by Me on Monday June 2 2014 at 16:11
I understand it was meant to be funny and I do have a sense of humour but I knew someone who battled with her weight for several years due to ill health and had jokes like this every day of her life at school. After so many years of it, it becomes unfunny and can hurt people's feelings because it is making out that all overweight people have done it to themselves.

Reply Posted by funny bone on Monday June 2 2014 at 16:30
orr,hope your mates ok now @me. You,ll never stop the comments though,we have to just roll with it. understand your post though.

Reply Posted by Me on Monday June 2 2014 at 16:48
She has good days and bad but don't we all? Thanks for your concern though @ funny bone.

Reply Posted by Observer on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 08:04
Well done craig. Hes a good guy.

Reply Posted by Stf on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 22:28
Top man smithy

Reply Posted by Bill on Wednesday June 4 2014 at 22:50
I remember when my car broke down on the day me and the wife were going away for a week, this top lad pulled up asked whats up bill told him had broke down he through his keys to me and said get thi sen off. get well fast m8