Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Warnings Issued After Charger Fires

Thursday May 22 2014


Fire Fire


A WARNING has been issued after a spate of house fires that were thought to have been caused by cheap charging devices.

Cheap chargers are being blamed for a growing number of house fires and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said the unsafe devices - which are often made in China for as little as 3p - could be putting your home at risk.

A spokesman said that while charges supplied with branded electronic goods, the cheap, ‘unbranded’ chargers usually bought on the internet - can be hazardous.

A fire service spokesman said: "Don’t buy cheap, unbranded chargers and make sure chargers are compatible to the device you are using.

"Don’t leave things to charge overnight or beyond the recommended charging time."

In November, a family in Sheffield - including a nine-week-old baby - died in a fire thought to have been caused by a faulty charger.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
1 Showing 1 comment

Reply Posted by Abbie on Friday May 23 2014 at 16:20
We bought one offline off a popular auction site and it blew up as my husband switched it on! That was scary. The pug socket was black!
My lesson was well learnt.