Kids' Tooth Decay Figures Released

Wednesday May 14 2014

ALMOST half of Barnsley's children have tooth decay.

The town has the highest levels of tooth decay in South Yorkshire, with 41 per cent of kids being affected.

Public Health Barnsley will now conduct a study of thousands of children across the town's 79 primary schools to see how widespread the problem is.

Dr Frances Clement, a consultant in public health medicine, said she was shocked at the results.

"Given that we are doing as much as we can, we thought we would have had better statistics. To be the worst in South Yorkshire isn't very good at all."

Dr Clement said reasons for the tooth decay could include "parental behaviour".

She encouraged parents to take their children to the dentist twice a year from the age of seven months and to ask for fluoride varnish, which can be applied twice a year to those aged between three and 18.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday May 14 2014 at 16:54
Not heard of the flouride varnish and we do all go twice a year. Will be asking about that tomorrow. Sounds great.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday May 14 2014 at 17:00
In fact I have just phoned our dentist and theyve told me its free of charge for kids. Fixing ours up immediatly. Thanks for info.

Reply Posted by guy fawkes on Thursday May 15 2014 at 07:34
depends how good your dentist is my grand kids go to mr cale on racecommon rd they get the flouride wash,makes you wonder what level of dentistry is out there in barnsley doesnt it.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday May 15 2014 at 09:22
Youre vright @guy Fawkes. When I did enquire about it yesterday I was put on hold for 10 mins while the receptionist asked around. I'm thinking its cos its free, they have probably been told not to push it. Anyway they're both having it done.

Reply Posted by steph on Thursday May 15 2014 at 15:05
@guyfawkes my kids go to Mr cale too but never bn offered the varnish he just checks there teeth? Will be asking next time tho

Reply Posted by kay on Thursday May 15 2014 at 15:59
I take my kids twice a year to dentist with me and have done since they were born.its good to get them used to dentists from an early age as for some it can be a daunting experience. Dove dentalcare on pitt street is where we go and they have always offered the floride vanish,the kids don't like the taste but they know it helps keep their teeth healthy.

Reply Posted by kay on Thursday May 15 2014 at 16:01
I take my kids twice a year to dentist with me and have done since they were born.its good to get them used to dentists from an early age as for some it can be a daunting experience. Dove dentalcare on pitt street is where we go and they have always offered the floride varnish,the kids don't like the taste but they know it helps keep their teeth healthy.

Reply Posted by st health visitor on Thursday May 15 2014 at 16:45
The fluride varnish is normally done at childrens centres.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday May 15 2014 at 16:53
Now you tell us Health visitor. This maybe should be told to all parents via school leaflets/posters or something. Where are the childrens centres? Cudworth area.

Reply Posted by anon on Thursday May 15 2014 at 17:30
My daughter has a fluoride treatment every 3 months - thought all kids did.

Reply Posted by LV on Sunday May 18 2014 at 09:39
I wonder how many people realise that exposure to too much fluoride can affect brain activity and even cause the teeth to decay! My nephew had tooth decay through eating too much fruit. I never had a fluoride when I had my milk teeth and I necer suffered from tooth decay or even a toothache! Parents need to be better educated about their children's dental health and how to maintain it.

Reply Posted by April on Wednesday May 21 2014 at 11:30
It's also a matter of making sure they are brushing their teeth properly and regularly. It always stuck in my head the experiment we did at school, if someone's tooth falls out (kids are losing baby teeth all the time so there were a fair few) put it in a glass of coke and see what happens overnight, and the next time it happens a glass of milk. Really drilled it into us the damage fizzy drinks can do and the importance of good dental hygiene and intake of calcium.